Market share = pop. change?

This is probabley just a wild thought and I have no stats to prove me right or wrong but here goes. Is it posible that our (domestics') loss of market share is due to America's changing (diverse) population? Within the past 15 years there has been a huge increase in the Asian population in America. From what I can see, around the Twin Cities area, Asian people almost strictly drive Asian imports (Toyota, Honda, etc.). Rather than Ford and GM losing sales maybe it's just that they're not gaining with the new buyers? I don't know if this makes any sense, and by NO MEANS is this meant to be anti-Asian or bigotted. Just some thoughts and looking for further discussion.

My observations in central NJ are similar to yours. I believe this has less to do with immigrant groups supporting autos from their area of origin, and more to do with not developing any passion for autos or any loyalty based on growing up in the US in the 60s, 70s, whatever, and pretty much much buying cars based on whatever consumer reports tells them to buy. In turn, their children, first gen Americans who DO have some passion for vehicles, are into the mostly Japanese tuner scene, much of that driven by the fact that they only knew Asian brands growing up. It does not help that domestics really screwed up in the family sedan market, last ten-fifteen years or so.

I commute by train to the city, near 50% asian population on the train, and there is a pretty wide assortment of cars in the large commuter lot: 2/3 or better japanese- heavy on the cam-cord, surprising number of bmws for "station" cars, most domestics are suvs. Still a few old Taurus like mine, but dwindling......

I'm glad to see someone gets it! But I said this on here many months ago. As long as you keep letting Asians in this country they are going to turn the tide and give Toyota the edge! They don't know Chevies and Dodges over in Asia, although GM and Chrysler are finally correcting that. The reason why Ford maintained their 25 percent marketshare for many years while GM lost heavily was because Asians DID know the Ford brand because it is known world wide!

About 40% of the vehicles in the employee parking lot at work are "foreign" cars. All of them are owned by good ol' born-in-America white folks.

Let's try not to turn this into the "white people" vs. everyone else that is not white. I'm thinking that this is more along the lines of "American-born" customers will purchase what they like whether it's American or Import. I think their buying patterns kept the market share somewhat constant up until about the year 2000. Some years were better than others but it seems that over the years sales averaged out to maintain a consistant Amarican market. I do think that the Asian population growth has changed this market. Asian-born customers and their offspring appear to purchase only Asian brand vehicles. I'm not necessarily knocking them for doing so, but I find it difficult for Ford or GM to fairly compete if the overall customer base is not fairly purchasing. I have not been able to find any reports of brand loyalty by different cultures (if those numbers even exist). I may be way off base with these thoughts, just trying to make some sense out of the situation we're facing.

Rather than Ford and GM losing sales maybe it's just that they're not gaining with the new buyers?

Nope, Ford in 1999 sold something on the order of 4.2 Million vehicles in the US. In the past 7 years they have lost 1.4 Million absolute sales per year. And this during a time when the industry volume has been fairly constant at about 17M units.

Most definitely...

d04demographics.jpg

(Source: The Detroit News)

This is probabley just a wild thought and I have no stats to prove me right or wrong but here goes. Is it posible that our (domestics') loss of market share is due to America's changing (diverse) population? Within the past 15 years there has been a huge increase in the Asian population in America. From what I can see, around the Twin Cities area, Asian people almost strictly drive Asian imports (Toyota, Honda, etc.). Rather than Ford and GM losing sales maybe it's just that they're not gaining with the new buyers? I don't know if this makes any sense, and by NO MEANS is this meant to be anti-Asian or bigotted. Just some thoughts and looking for further discussion.

Anyone read the article I posted, Momentum 2007, seems like boomers will be one of the major factors for cars. My opinion is boomers will be retiring and will need a cheap, reliable car to drive around which in their minds equal a Toyota/ Honda. Because back in their day Ford stood for something other than "Bold Moves".

Even if minorities are buying more foreign autos, they are buying the majority of them used, not brand new, and isn't it just new cars that really matter? This goes for asians especially, because they tend to drive vehicles into the ground or choose not to pay the rapid depreciation on a new vehicle. Other minorities and low income people in general most likely can't finance a new vehicle because of their credit ratings, and if they are capable of buying a new car lets be honest wouldn't you too buy a Toyota if you were in their shoes, I would, it is the smartest financial move to make. But since I'm not in their shoes I can buy a new car based on styling alone & I don't have to worry about depreciation, resell value, or quality; I've got the money to repair or replace the car.

---

The change in vehicles will be to gear vehicles towards individual styling preferences, seems like Scion has made quite an impressive business model out of this. The vanilla, one size fits all model is long gone.

The Hispanic community chooses Toyota or a big Ford truck.

So what this means is the F150 Lobo edition will come with a factory installed Rosary, and OEM Virgin Mary dashboard statue. :hysterical: ... j/k (FYI: I'm Hispanic)

Edited by JM

Great postings Aneekr. Thanks for the statistical information. I think it supports what I was trying to say. It would appear that Ford and GM did not and has not really studied these numbers, or they have and was hoping to rely on Americans' brand loyalty to domestic vehicles. I suppose on the bright side from a business standpoint, this is something of a "perfect storm" for the domestics. They have cause to close American plants to fit capacity, thus eliminating American/Union wages (this is the usual scapegoat for being competitive). At the same time they can invest billions in their plants overseas or in Mexico to benefit from cheap labor. I suppose that Ford and GM can only hope to be competitive on a global basis because I don't think that the American market will be reversing any time soon.

I'll chime in...living in Miami for so many years I have friends from every possible background, so this is what they have shared with me.

Usually Puerto Ricans (at least here in Central FL) love their Hondas. It's every other one I usually see that creams for it. Not sure why, just do. It's falling apart and unreliable, but they'll never tell you that.

Central Americas, usually Guatemalas' thru Nicaraguans, they love their Toyotas. Overthere the parts are cheaper, than that of detroit vehicles because of dealer distributions, so when they moved here, they continued buying Toyotas.

Cubans are a bit mixed. Old school (50-60's arrivals) originally bought American stating that it's common sense, if they are built here, the parts are cheaper. I've heard that constantly. Although now their kids seem to be all over the place on what they have chosen for a vehicle. For the new Cuban arrivees (which usually don't get along with the original ones) they also tend to buy American because in Cuba, thats all there was... a collection of 50's Buicks/Chevys. All these other brands are new to them.

I have a relative or 2 that moved recently here from Europe (and of course, buying up cheap real estate because the dollar is week), having never lived here prior. They bought American because they figure, it's built here, the parts and availability and dealer network help substantially. Although for the daughter of one of them, "The Euro Focus you had THERE, is not the same one here". SO it was comical how they asked for certain vehicles, which carry a different names here, or simply don't exist. So just like those imposter perfumes "IF you LOVED Mondeo, you might like Fusion", "If you LOVED Euro Focus, you might like Mazda3".