DTP employees vandalize NAP vehicles ?

NorfolkBuilt

Ive lived in Norfolk my whole life .Norview to be exact. Im not mis-leading anyone,I just think you either lived in some nicer areas of the city,or your living in a bubble. A few years back ,Norfolk led the nation in homicides. Shit happens,that doesnt mean its a dump. Im bet if you ask victims of crimes like murder robbery,sexual assault,poverty etc . they would disagree with you . Im glad nothing has never happened to you or your family,as most families do not become victims. Tell a Norfolk cop what you think ,and he's gonna tell you differently . How do I know ? My closest friend is a NPD cop.

There are plenty of neighborhoods that you better avoid at night,or thats your ass. And if you deny that ,then your not as familiar as you think. Sounds to me like you have never been on the wrong side of the tracks. I have seen and heard my fair share of shooting and robberies. Detroit is bigger than Norfolk,so the crime to person ratio is gonna be higher. Detroit is also an older city,so there has been more deterioration , and like Norfolk they are rebuilding from what I have been told from Michigan natives.

Norfolk is also a great city,and its the economic and cultural hub of our region .It is a important national city,as well as a city of great diversity. There is a huge list of positive things I could say about Norfolk ,cuz this is MY city as I see it.I love it,and Im proud of it. But the discussion was about crime not the beauty of these cities.

p.s.- People of Michigan ,dont get offended please by the deterioration comment ,thats what happens to all major cities that have been around for a long time ,including Norfolk. You gotta refurbish and rebuild.

hold on there a minute built, you are playing a little fast and loose with the facts....Norfolk has never had the highest murder rate in the US according to the stats on the FBI web site, only Richmond had the highest for a city of it's size...

I take exception to "the cultural hub" are you kidding me? the convention center is 30 years old and sits in the shadow of a public housing project where a police officers was killed last May....! Norfolk is a dying city, it's leadership is racially divided as evidenced in the local paper several times this week...Va Beach and Chespeake is where all the new development is taking place, there is no open land in Norfolk, it's poor and getting more by the year!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hold on there a minute built, you are playing a little fast and loose with the facts....Norfolk has never had the highest murder rate in the US according to the stats on the FBI web site, only Richmond had the highest for a city of it's size...

I take exception to "the cultural hub" are you kidding me? the convention center is 30 years old and sits in the shadow of a public housing project where a police officers was killed last May....! Norfolk is a dying city, it's leadership is racially divided as evidenced in the local paper several times this week...Va Beach and Chespeake is where all the new development is taking place, there is no open land in Norfolk, it's poor and getting more by the year!

Norfolk does have some serious problems, one being the vice mayor but it is working hard on it's revival. Ocean view 10 years ago was run down and full of drugs and hookers, try to buy a home or property for less than 500k down there now and that is not on the bay side of the street. Granby street downtown is a wonderful place to go now with all the revitalization, fancy restaurants, bars and condo buildings plus you get less hassle from the man unlike the communist city of Va Beach. The Scope is old (34) but I would rather pay $13 and watch AHL than $75 for NHL.

The big thing is not to compare apples and oranges, Detroit is a major city, Tidewater is not.

Yes,the cultural hub.Im not sure what a "30 year old" convention center has to do with culture. But just so you know,they have invested $10 million into upgrading it,and its still the regions largest indoor "venue". Im guessing you have never lived in Norfolk,thats why you take offense. Norfolk is dying ? I cant even begin to argue with a statement that stupid. For example,if you ever notice ,any time a professional sports team considers relocating here, what city is always the first and only city to be looked at ? When was the last time you were downtown ? 10 years ago ? If you were recently,you would notice all the new construction and demolition going on .

Are you up to date on the city's revitilization program and the future projects that are already being funded ? How about the light rail system that the city is pioneering ,that will the first major upgrade in public mass transportation in decades ? How about the new condo's that are selling for millions of dollars in the downtown area ,because of the rapid growth ? And the fact that more are planned because people are buying them sight unseen ?

Oh lets see,what else....whats the one little building ,oh yeah the World Trade Center in downtown. Its is home of our areas most well know university ,ODU . As well as one the nations most technically advanced hospital heart centers (massive facility) and the regions CHKD .Its home to the worlds largest Navy base. As well as home to the regions International airport.

Norfolk is building the $36 million dollar Half Moone Center (80,000 sq ft) , as an addition for the Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruise Line cruise's that you can take right out of the port in Downtown. The biggest and hottest nightclubs in the state (except Richmond) are here.

Here is a small example of what a "cultural hub" is

http://www.norfolkdevelopment.com/arts-cul...ganizations.htm

The leadership is racially divided ? Why ? Because one Vice Mayor is cited for having a shitty yard,and makes some racist remarks about white police,now all the sudden the entire city is divided ? Oh wow,watch out here comes the next civil rights movement ! Please man .

This region would not be what it is without Norfolk . I love all of the 7 cities ,and Im proud to be a Virginian .Boy I could go ON &ON & ON & ON,but it would prove nothing. BTW I live in VB now ,and absolutely love it !

Hey FANTASTICFORD ,I understand what you are sayin man. And I know where your coming from on the people up there saying "dont move here ,dont go there" etc. ...They know that there are many areas that new comers or even long time residences should stay away from . Hell thats almost in any major metro area...

But you gotta look at it like this .....you might know that your own house looks like shit ,and thats fine.But as soon as someone else walks up and says "boy ,you sure got one ugly house" ....then shit is on,lmao Thats why I asked them to take no offense. :D

EDIT -DukeNukem made some greats points also ,especially in the O.V. area and the difference in the COPS !! OMG you couldnt have made a more true statment my friend. . Norfolk is young as far a the larger metro areas go,but its also the new kid on the block,and it has bright days ahead,and so does Chesapeake,an VB no doubt !

Edited by NorfolkBuilt

Yes,the cultural hub.Im not sure what a "30 year old" convention center has to do with culture. But just so you know,they have invested $10 million into upgrading it,and its still the regions largest indoor "venue". Im guessing you have never lived in Norfolk,thats why you take offense. Norfolk is dying ? I cant even begin to argue with a statement that stupid. For example,if you ever notice ,any time a professional sports team considers relocating here, what city is always the first and only city to be looked at ? When was the last time you were downtown ? 10 years ago ? If you were recently,you would notice all the new construction and demolition going on .

Are you up to date on the city's revitilization program and the future projects that are already being funded ? How about the light rail system that the city is pioneering ,that will the first major upgrade in public mass transportation in decades ? How about the new condo's that are selling for millions of dollars in the downtown area ,because of the rapid growth ? And the fact that more are planned because people are buying them sight unseen ?

Oh lets see,what else....whats the one little building ,oh yeah the World Trade Center in downtown. Its is home of our areas most well know university ,ODU . As well as one the nations most technically advanced hospital heart centers (massive facility) and the regions CHKD .Its home to the worlds largest Navy base. As well as home to the regions International airport.

Norfolk is building the $36 million dollar Half Moone Center (80,000 sq ft) , as an addition for the Royal Caribbean and Carnival Cruise Line cruise's that you can take right out of the port in Downtown. The biggest and hottest nightclubs in the state (except Richmond) are here.

The leadership is racially divided ? Why ? Because one Vice Mayor is cited for having a shitty yard,and makes some racist remarks about white police,now all the sudden the entire city is divided ? Oh wow,watch out here comes the next civil rights movement ! Please man .

This region would not be what it is without Norfolk . I love all of the 7 cities ,and Im proud to be a Virginian .Boy I could go ON &ON & ON & ON,but it would prove nothing. BTW I live in VB now ,and absolutely love it !

Hey FANTASTICFORD ,I understand what you are sayin man. And I know where your coming from on the people up there saying "dont move here ,dont go there" etc. ...They know that there are many areas that new comers or even long time residences should stay away from . Hell thats almost in any major metro area...

But you gotta look at it like this .....you might know that your own house looks like shit ,and thats fine.But as soon as someone else walks up and says "boy ,you sure got one ugly house" ....then shit is on,lmao Thats why I asked them to take no offense. :D

EDIT -DukeNukem made some greats points also ,especially in the O.V. area and the difference in the COPS !! OMG you couldnt have made a more true statment my friend. . Norfolk is young as far a the larger metro areas go,but its also the new kid on the block,and it has bright days ahead,and so does Chesapeake,an VB no doubt !

if you're leaving NAP maybe you should go to work for the Norfolk tourism bureau, or most defently in sales. A lot of what you said is true, by the way I've lived here for over 50 years. My Scope comment was in reference to your cultrual center comment, that's Norfolk's "convention center" and Chrysler is it's theater and they can't attract big name acts there, most concerts are held in Hampton, who along with VaB just built a new convention center. People don't feel safe a night around the Scope area. I was just on Granby St. last Thurs, it has a long way to go. you failed to mention the Mcarther center, the city sank $30+ M and the occupancy rate is below 70%. The light rail is not funded and there are no plans for the funding until 2010. With the Town Center in VaB people are less likely to ride a light rail to Norfolk when they can drive and park FREE there, with less crime. The light rail is another Black Hole to waste the tax payers money, just take a look at one of the city buses, maybe 10% utilizied, another waste. And the Cruise terminal, another waste. within months of the annoucement of this the Norweign Cruise announced they would not longer call on this port, they were 70% of the small cruise line business that Norfolk had....you need to take off those rose colored glasses. you're trying to put lipstick on a pig!

if you're leaving NAP maybe you should go to work for the Norfolk tourism bureau, or most defently in sales. A lot of what you said is true, by the way I've lived here for over 50 years. My Scope comment was in reference to your cultrual center comment, that's Norfolk's "convention center" and Chrysler is it's theater and they can't attract big name acts there, most concerts are held in Hampton, who along with VaB just built a new convention center. People don't feel safe a night around the Scope area. I was just on Granby St. last Thurs, it has a long way to go. you failed to mention the Mcarther center, the city sank $30+ M and the occupancy rate is below 70%. The light rail is not funded and there are no plans for the funding until 2010. With the Town Center in VaB people are less likely to ride a light rail to Norfolk when they can drive and park FREE there, with less crime. The light rail is another Black Hole to waste the tax payers money, just take a look at one of the city buses, maybe 10% utilizied, another waste. And the Cruise terminal, another waste. within months of the annoucement of this the Norweign Cruise announced they would not longer call on this port, they were 70% of the small cruise line business that Norfolk had....you need to take off those rose colored glasses. you're trying to put lipstick on a pig!
Norfolkbuilt was not trying to dress Norfolk up, we were just talking about the comparison between the two cities, putting lipstick on a pig, that's funny!

More great news about Norfolk....

Tattoo Salon

HOLY SHIT !!!!!!!!.....I did'nt know that, I got to make a call to find out the story.......hey Big how was your first day at DTP?

Come on man, I thought you were in the know! Hell, I thought everyone knew about that.

First day was pretty good. First thing several people ask was "Is there going to be security outside to watch my car?"

If we NAPers could of transfered to KCAP there would be a rush to your plant. Most folks would of loved to have that chance to go to a great plant with people that have mid-west values all determined to make a great quality product. All that and Big 12 football. WOW!!

I would of transfered in a heart beat.

Remember KCAP. the burden is now upon you alone to keep the quality up. Good luck.

I'm from KCAP, thanks for the morale. I feel we are doing a good job. Are you transferring? Any word on NAP people coming to KCAP? Your right about the midwest values, great place to live and raise a family, great work ethics also. Good luck to you.Oh, by the way, it's the big 12 in basketball.