Father of 08 Escape Redesign..Not Gone?

silvrsvt

I wouldn't be too worried about it. The Escape came out looking not-so-fresh more due to budgetary constraints than anything else. You can only go so far with a limited budget.

After all, the same person who designed the Aztek was responsible for designing the C6. So, I wouldn't concern myself.

It's easy to blame the individuals involved, when the system--which is the responsibility of senior execs--is the real problem.

I've pointed out many times that people wanted Tom Peters' head for the Aztek. He's now done not only the C6 but also the new Camaro.

I prepared a report on what was wrong with the GM system based on a year and a half inside GM. Recently a Ford engineer emailed me saying the summary describes the Ford product development organization well. Here's the summary:

http://www.truedelta.com/execsum.php

If anyone knows how to contact a senior Ford exec, and thinks they may be interested in reading this, feel free to send it to them. A few people forwarded it a couple of years ago to Lutz. Not sure he made any use of it or even read it, though.

I continue to think that the report identifies the main reasons Detroit is not more competitive. And it's not the people.

Edited by mkaresh

Interesting piece. Apples to oranges I would say here.

I don't think things like that will be an issue anymore, I think that's exactly where they will want to move Ford from now on.

By the apples to oranges, do you think my report would not apply to Ford? On what basis? Not saying you're wrong, as I know very little of what goes on inside Ford, just curioius.

I'm hoping that we're in the roughest part of the transition period, 'cuz the Escape and the Focus need to be the LAST Ford vehicles handled this badly.

For all I know, Escape sales will actually go up (like they did for the Nav) and the Focus will catch on...but with the mistake admitted, I don't see any daylight for the Focus until the C2.