2012 Cougar

I think that now is the time of iconic cars. Ford needs one full of crazy things ahead of everyone else (right now this is the Taurus and Fusion). It's Mercury's turn for one... I was thinking that the cougar needs to keep up its muscle car appearance, but needs to be a little more sleek than the mustang.

post-33357-1236394700_thumb.jpg

I think that now is the time of iconic cars. Ford needs one full of crazy things ahead of everyone else (right now this is the Taurus and Fusion). It's Mercury's turn for one... I was thinking that the cougar needs to keep up its muscle car appearance, but needs to be a little more sleek than the mustang.

I'm not sure if the boxy grilles go with the general curvature of the rest of the design.

Here's a sketch I've posted several times before:

post-28332-1236395510_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if the boxy grilles go with the general curvature of the rest of the design.

Here's a sketch I've posted several times before:

I like it, it fits the Muscle car in with the sports car, to make a modern day cougar.

What about these?

The car needs to have muscle, yet be sleek looking enough to be competition for Acura, infiniti, etc.

post-33357-1236410039_thumb.jpg

post-33357-1236410051_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reigner92

Tim, I absolutely loved the series of chops that went with this one (there was an interior and a front, I believe).

I love the look of those too, but. It has to compete as a luxury car as well, and in order to do that it has to be a little sleeker.

I was thinking a more muscled up version of this....

post-33357-1236462077_thumb.jpg

That too could make a nice Cougar.....it's a bit "out there"/show car.

If they made an electric Cougar.........

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/...ig-concepts.php

I like that quite a bit, but the hood looks a little too busy. I like the idea of an electric cougar a lot though!! Think you could make a gas powered one (with a grill)? and maybe a door scoop...

I was thinking a cross between the chop you just did and hints of these...

post-33357-1236467942_thumb.jpg

post-33357-1236468143_thumb.jpg

post-33357-1236468151_thumb.jpg

post-33357-1236468249_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reigner92

What is that? I've never seen it before.

Me either....what is it?

That too could make a nice Cougar.....it's a bit "out there"/show car.

If they made an electric Cougar.........

I agree with Reigner, the hood's a bit busy.....and personally, I don't think that could be a proper Cougar.

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/2006/...ig-concepts.php

I like that quite a bit, but the hood looks a little too busy. I like the idea of an electric cougar a lot though!! Think you could make a gas powered one (with a grill)? and maybe a door scoop...

I was thinking a cross between the chop you just did and hints of these...

A side scoop on the quarter panel sounds more Mustang than Cougar.

post-19198-1236477649_thumb.jpg

post-19198-1236478320_thumb.jpg

post-19198-1236478502_thumb.jpg

Edited by timmm55

As i said before, if a Cougar was to come out now it would have to be sleek, yet still resemble American Muscle. The side scoop could help with both sleekness and muscle. What about a side scoop like the one on your newest Marauder?

Edited by Reigner92

I could live with something like that Cougar rendering....I actually like that a lot. I would think it'd have to be bigger than the Reflex it's based on, but the overall 'theme' works.

timmm55, I really dig this vert:

(That is one bitc__n' chop!)

l_2dc5f9740e94438da6330e535e09b2f2.jpg

Thanks! I appreciate that.

RMC, I think the scale of the Reflex translates well into a somewhat larger car.......but I see the next generation Mustang/Cougar(!?) as being scaled down in size also.

Thanks! I appreciate that.

RMC, I think the scale of the Reflex translates well into a somewhat larger car.......but I see the next generation Mustang/Cougar(!?) as being scaled down in size also.

I could agree with that.....so the rendering is meant to be bigger than the Reflex? Ok, that makes sense now, I was just thinking for whatever reason you were basing it of the baby Reflex.

• 4 weeks later...

I had hoped that the Fusion and Milan would be available as coupes (Torino/Cougar) when they were freshened up for 2010. The GT and XR-7 models would be the same as the Fusion Sport with the 3.5L V6 and optional AWD. I would've bought one. Sedans are way too stogey.

I had hoped that the Fusion and Milan would be available as coupes (Torino/Cougar) when they were freshened up for 2010. The GT and XR-7 models would be the same as the Fusion Sport with the 3.5L V6 and optional AWD. I would've bought one. Sedans are way too stogey.

from your mouth to Alan's ear. lol. However i much perfer a Thunderbird/Cougar combo again if i cant get my mustang based cougar.

^ if they just would find/invent a way to affordably make small increases in wlb/ovl

they could have such a dynamite Rwd lineup

(from smallest to large)

- Lincoln 2-seat sportsLux

- Mustang, 2+2

- Cougar, seating for 4 adults

- MKR, ditto^ but more lux & length

- Thunderbird, just a skosh more room for the occasional 5th passenger

- CONTINENTAL, relatively-guiltless-Lux for 5

I'm think the wheelbase 'steps' could be (just about) 2"