The Edge

forddaughter

Since the minivans are out, I am concerned as to what people will do who use wheelchairs. Mine fits nice in the back of our Freestar. I sit in a regular van seat. We don't want to drive an Econoline it's way too big! Do you think the Edge is long enough? The next option might be the new Fairlane...then I don't know.

Since the Edge has fold-down third row seating, is that what you need?

Have you also considered the Freestyle crossover, which is currently on sale?

I can't tell whether the Freestyle (a car-based crossover that looks like an Explorer only not as tall) is lower to the ground than the Edge.

If you are hauling someone around who is in a wheel chair, the Edge would work. Work well? I'd say it's debatable. Looking at the pictures, you could stow a wheelchair up right in the back. You would probably want to secure it. But with only two rows on the Edge, it would get crowed after three people and a wheelchair. Now if the wheel chair person is the driver, I don't think the Edge would be any better than any sedans out there. Probably worse when you consider the Edge rides higher, like a SUV.

Now the Freestyle on the other hand would be a bit better if you haul more than the wheelchair person. It's a longer and lower vehicle. Plus, with the third row folded, there's more room back there. So that might be easier.

If you're in no hurry for a vehicle and want a Ford, I'd recommend waiting to see how the Fairlane concept turns out. I think that vehicle would fit the best for a wheelchair person. However if you need one sooner, sorry to say this, but I'd recommend a Dodge/Chrysler mini van. They've been heavily discounted in recent months, and I have a neighbor with one. He's the driver and in a wheel chair. It converted quite nicely for him. He needs a lift obviously.

No, I'm not the driver. I sit in a regular van seat when riding. We are on our second van, first we had a Windstar, now we have a Freestar. We have a lift in the back as the wheelchair is electric so it's very heavy. It fits sidways only having to take the foot rests off. We also can leave our third row seat up and can have a fifth passenger ride with us. When we tried out all three vans several years ago, Econoline, Villager, and Windstar the Windstar worked the best. The Econo was too big, and the Villager was not long enough. That's why I didn't know if the Edge would work. It might not be long enough.

There's no hurry, we were just trying to figure out if we should park the Freestar and only use it when I'm riding in it or if there will be other options down the road. It will definately be a Ford as my dad is a 30 year employee soon to be retiree on March 1st.

Thanks everyone!

No, I'm not the driver. I sit in a regular van seat when riding. We are on our second van, first we had a Windstar, now we have a Freestar. We have a lift in the back as the wheelchair is electric so it's very heavy. It fits sidways only having to take the foot rests off. We also can leave our third row seat up and can have a fifth passenger ride with us. When we tried out all three vans several years ago, Econoline, Villager, and Windstar the Windstar worked the best. The Econo was too big, and the Villager was not long enough. That's why I didn't know if the Edge would work. It might not be long enough.

There's no hurry, we were just trying to figure out if we should park the Freestar and only use it when I'm riding in it or if there will be other options down the road. It will definately be a Ford as my dad is a 30 year employee soon to be retiree on March 1st.

Thanks everyone!

Ford is bringing the Ford Connect Tourneo , as I understand in the near future, which would suit your needs perfectly. A spacious Van with room for 5 people or a wheelchair and 3 passengers. Based on the all new Ford Connect. Easy access is provided by a full width ramp or telescopic ramps. Ideal for family or taxi use.

http://www.vehiclesource.ltd.uk./client.in...nectNevada3.jpg

Edited by MKII

Ford is bringing the Ford Connect Tourneo , as I understand in the near future, which would suit your needs perfectly. A spacious Van with room for 5 people or a wheelchair and 3 passengers. Based on the all new Ford Connect. Easy access is provided by a full width ramp or telescopic ramps. Ideal for family or taxi use.

http://www.vehiclesource.ltd.uk./client.in...nectNevada3.jpg

Thanks, but eww...that is gross looking! :hysterical: