My soapbox speech...

iluvford

You know, my grandmother was the first generation of Ford workers in my family. She started in 1953. She tells me that things were so different back then....the changes from then to know is why Ford is doing so poorly. Many of you will say that things were different back then, yes they were, but she was still laid-off for 4 years. Everyone can blame 110 different reasons why Ford is failing but there many more reasons.

Back in the day, Ford employees were PROUD of where they worked, they were brand-loyal to their employer (because they know who made their paycheck), they supported their union brothers and sisters, they went to work with one thing on their mind (QUALITY)---so what the hell happened?

I read this forum and see just the opposite of these values. Brothers and sisters are attacking each other (and their plants), they drive foreign vehicles, they disrespect the company they work for, and the list goes on and on.

This along with many other reasons is why Ford is failing.

I guess we need to go back and remember that: Ford employees MAKE Ford, they are FORD. :happy feet:

You know, my grandmother was the first generation of Ford workers in my family. She started in 1953. She tells me that things were so different back then....the changes from then to know is why Ford is doing so poorly. Many of you will say that things were different back then, yes they were, but she was still laid-off for 4 years. Everyone can blame 110 different reasons why Ford is failing but there many more reasons.

Back in the day, Ford employees were PROUD of where they worked, they were brand-loyal to their employer (because they know who made their paycheck), they supported their union brothers and sisters, they went to work with one thing on their mind (QUALITY)---so what the hell happened?

I read this forum and see just the opposite of these values. Brothers and sisters are attacking each other (and their plants), they drive foreign vehicles, they disrespect the company they work for, and the list goes on and on.

I guess we need to go back and remember that: Ford employees MAKE Ford, they are FORD. :happy feet:

These are the questions I asked many times on this forum.I whole heartedly agree with this post and feel precisely the way you do.

These are the questions I asked many times on this forum.I whole heartedly agree with this post and feel precisely the way you do.

Is Ford Motor Company loyal to the employees who have lost fingers, spilt blood and came into work everyday. Why are they cheating to get the COA in every plant. Lies and deception. Hiring 89 day employees instead of bringing back flow back employees. Bringing in non Ford workers to work behind walls. This is the New Ford Motor Company.

Is Ford Motor Company loyal to the employees who have lost fingers, spilt blood and came into work everyday. Why are they cheating to get the COA in every plant. Lies and deception. Hiring 89 day employees instead of bringing back flow back employees. Bringing in non Ford workers to work behind walls. This is the New Ford Motor Company.

I am not here to argue with you, but here are some of the reasons that Ford is becoming who they are.

Employees no longer follow 30 and out, employees take advantage of overtime, they take advantage of the attendance policy (or lack thereof), abuse of medical retirement, brothers and sisters are attacking each other (and their plants), they drive foreign vehicles, they disrespect the company they work for, and the list goes on and on.

Ford is trying to protect itself, which unfortunately means pushing their workers away (both good and bad employees).

The real question is, when did Americans stop being loyal to America?

Maybe it started happening when American made POS's started leaving them down in the middle of the roadways, and the dealers basically told them that it "sucks to be you".

Hopefully the gains on new vehicle lines like the Fusion, Milan, etc. won't be lost, and the

confidence in the brand will rebuild over the next decade.

-Ovaltine

EXCELLENT POST!!!

To bad you will get more people bashing you then agreeing with you. Another problem is the ME-ME syndrome, and the I have zero pride in what I do syndrome.

People go to work and Ford owes them the world. Yet they put in about 50%. And all the a-holes driving their new foriegn cars into a Ford lot to go to work are telling everyone F-you. They should be the first ones fired period.

What department did your grandmother work for, Assy.?

In 1953 Ford did noyt have the competition that it has today.

Give credit where credit is due, the Japanese with their hard work ethic and govt. health care had a major effect on the big 3.

Maybe it started happening when American made POS's started leaving them down in the middle of the roadways, and the dealers basically told them that it "sucks to be you".

Hopefully the gains on new vehicle lines like the Fusion, Milan, etc. won't be lost, and the

-Ovaltine

I refuse to buy foreign car , like the fusion and milan.

The question that begs to be asked is WHY would a UAW Ford worker buy a foreign car in the first place? He gets a significant discount on a new Ford product and chooses to pay more for a foreign car? Why?

Maybe they don't believe in the quality of the product they produce. Maybe they are following the example of the auto makers themselves who fill their plants with foreign equipment, load the cars up with foreign parts and contract foreign companies for services. Maybe they want to buy a car that will still be worth something in four years. Like Ovaltine says, maybe they are tired of being treated poorly by domestic dealers. If Ford can't get its employees (the ones whose jobs most directly depend on Ford) to buy with a discount, just how can they get the average Joe to buy one retail?

This isn't an meant to be an anti-Ford rant, just to point out that Ford management is just as responsible for the current state of affairs as the workers themselves are. While I have seen some of the UAW entitlement attitude first hand, just what has Ford done to earn loyalty from the workers? A hard worker can't help but get jaded when management (both UAW and Ford) prevents them from doing their best and allows goldbrickers to contiune coming to work day after day. Can you blame some workers for becoming resentful when connections and politics so heavily influence who stays and who goes? When they are told that they have to tighten their belts but management still spends like drunken sailors?

Waving the flag and all the UAW "brotherhood" rhetoric wears pretty thin when people think they are fighting for their livelihood.

The question that begs to be asked is WHY would a UAW Ford worker buy a foreign car in the first place? He gets a significant discount on a new Ford product and chooses to pay more for a foreign car? Why?

Maybe they don't believe in the quality of the product they produce. Maybe they are following the example of the auto makers themselves who fill their plants with foreign equipment, load the cars up with foreign parts and contract foreign companies for services. Maybe they want to buy a car that will still be worth something in four years. Like Ovaltine says, maybe they are tired of being treated poorly by domestic dealers. If Ford can't get its employees (the ones whose jobs most directly depend on Ford) to buy with a discount, just how can they get the average Joe to buy one retail?

This isn't an meant to be an anti-Ford rant, just to point out that Ford management is just as responsible for the current state of affairs as the workers themselves are. While I have seen some of the UAW entitlement attitude first hand, just what has Ford done to earn loyalty from the workers? A hard worker can't help but get jaded when management (both UAW and Ford) prevents them from doing their best and allows goldbrickers to contiune coming to work day after day. Can you blame some workers for becoming resentful when connections and politics so heavily influence who stays and who goes? When they are told that they have to tighten their belts but management still spends like drunken sailors?

Waving the flag and all the UAW "brotherhood" rhetoric wears pretty thin when people think they are fighting for their livelihood.

Who owns the Lions? Ughhhh

WOOOOOOOWW hold on guy's. What the f#*k? Where the hell do you all work?

99.9999 % of my co-workers drive Fords. there are a few who have bought American made from the other 2, GM or Chrysler. 99.9999% of MY co-workers give a shit about Quality. You guy's make it sound like Ford's problems are because of TODAYS Ford workers...BULLSHIT!!!!I've been with this company for a couple of decades plus, and have known the oldtimers from way back when AND the people we have today. NO difference in their comitment to this company, quality, hard work, etc...etc...etc...I'm a second generation autoworker and my folks tell me there were bad apples in the old days as well.

Bill Ford, Jack Nasser, etc.. have made some BAD decisions people, That's where your coments need to be directed, plain and simple. Sure we have issues that need to be addressed by the UAW next contract, but for the most part FORD has made some bad managment decisions over the last decade. So plese stop slamming your co-workers, making them out to be what the street stereotypes us to be. :finger::finger::banghead::banghead:

-Ovaltine

Do you have proof of this?Have you experienced this yourself?Are you just repeating what you have heard?I have had old American cars and they have never left me in the middle of the road.Would you call your KIA a POS if it broke down on you?Or would you overlook it and not tell anyone so you don't look stupid for jumping on the imports are cool fad?

Do you have proof of this?Have you experienced this yourself?Are you just repeating what you have heard?I have had old American cars and they have never left me in the middle of the road.Would you call your KIA a POS if it broke down on you?Or would you overlook it and not tell anyone so you don't look stupid for jumping on the imports are cool fad?

dude... shut the hell up.

this head-in-the-sand attitude is why Ford is on the vergo of bankruptcy. Attitudes like this is why execs dropped the ball. White collar dropped the ball. Workers dropped the ball. UAW dropped the ball. ALL are equally guilty of not treating real problems seriously.

Now you want to continue thinking that way.

When you are on the unemployment line with no pension or health care, will you still feel this way?

You brought up a good point, health care.

Our Govt. also dropped the ball by not helping Ford pay for our overprcied health care, how much does toyota spend on the health care for their workforce?

Ireelevant.

How much does McDonalds spend on healthcare.

Those workers settled for less.

Not the issue.

The issue is not being competitive and settling for bare minimum from all parties involved.

Yes, Yes, and No.

In previous threads I have detailed my numerous Ford ownership experiences, and the ones of several other friends and relatives. Many include strandings along highways, with the zipping of semis only feet from the victim.

And... these problems were NOT lack-of-maintenance related. So don't even go there.

That said, I AM glad to hear about much improved ownership experiences from two Fusion owners I work with, the over all decline in TGW (things gone wrong) for Ford. I hope that this trend continues, and isn't sidetracked by all of the chaos at the U.S. factories. See the threads in the Employee forum about the drop rate of TFTs, etc.

And as far as "jumping on the imports are cool fad", any one with an interest in the automotive world KNOWS I didn't buy a KIA to be "cool". B)

I wanted a feature laden, good quality, decent looking, AND CHEAP go-to-work vehicle. My Spectra met all of those criteria. Plus, the dealer was real close by to my home. After all my years of owning Fords (and one Chrysler that had a lot of teething pains its first year), I thought that close proximity to the dealer would be a bonus. Fortunately, nearly all of my visits during the first 32k miles have been for my free oil changes!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

Yes, Yes, and No.

In previous threads I have detailed my numerous Ford ownership experiences, and the ones of several other friends and relatives. Many include strandings along highways, with the zipping of semis only feet from the victim.

And... these problems were NOT lack-of-maintenance related. So don't even go there.

That said, I AM glad to hear about much improved ownership experiences from two Fusion owners I work with, the over all decline in TGW (things gone wrong) for Ford. I hope that this trend continues, and isn't sidetracked by all of the chaos at the U.S. factories. See the threads in the Employee forum about the drop rate of TFTs, etc.

And as far as "jumping on the imports are cool fad", any one with an interest in the automotive world KNOWS I didn't buy a KIA to be "cool". B)

I wanted a feature laden, good quality, decent looking, AND CHEAP go-to-work vehicle. My Spectra met all of those criteria. Plus, the dealer was real close by to my home. After all my years of owning Fords (and one Chrysler that had a lot of teething pains its first year), I thought that close proximity to the dealer would be a bonus. Fortunately, nearly all of my visits during the first 32k miles have been for my free oil changes!

-Ovaltine

Well,I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Ford.I could also post bullshit about any brand car on the INTERNET!The thing I wonder about is why you post on a Ford enthusiast site about the virtues of owning a Kia?I doubt you will get any converts.Do you work for Hyundai?By the way I did own a Honda Civic that caught on fire, no bull,but I have better things to do than post this on some Honda forum.I do agree with you on one point, Kia's are not cool.

Edited by Sherlock

FYI:

Health care sticker shock :drop:

Health care costs haven’t just increased, they've skyrocketed. For example, in 2000 Ford paid $2 billion for employee health care. By 2004, the cost of providing health care had grown to $3.1 billion, a 55 percent increase in just four years.

In fact, today the cost of providing health care benefits adds about $1,000 to the sticker price of every Ford car and truck built in America.

Prescription drugs are the fastest growing element of Ford's health care costs.

http://www.ford.com/en/company/about/publi.../healthCare.htm

Edited by iluvford

• 2 weeks later...
FYI:

Health care sticker shock :drop:

Health care costs haven’t just increased, they've skyrocketed. For example, in 2000 Ford paid $2 billion for employee health care. By 2004, the cost of providing health care had grown to $3.1 billion, a 55 percent increase in just four years.

In fact, today the cost of providing health care benefits adds about $1,000 to the sticker price of every Ford car and truck built in America.

Prescription drugs are the fastest growing element of Ford's health care costs.

http://www.ford.com/en/company/about/publi.../healthCare.htm

I put factual information on this board and I get no reply. WEIRD. :reading:

I am not here to argue with you, but here are some of the reasons that Ford is becoming who they are.

Employees no longer follow 30 and out, employees take advantage of overtime, they take advantage of the attendance policy (or lack thereof), abuse of medical retirement, brothers and sisters are attacking each other (and their plants), they drive foreign vehicles, they disrespect the company they work for, and the list goes on and on.

Ford is trying to protect itself, which unfortunately means pushing their workers away (both good and bad employees).

Give that man a cigar! BULLSEYE