2008 Ford Falcon (orion) revealed

igor

http://wheelsmag.com.au/wheels/a/C6A811141...9000111195.html

Could this realy be the new Falcon? and if so could they import it along with Mondeo for the new Face of Ford in US?

what do you think?

Igor

You got me all excited for nothing.. :finger:

That's a CGI of what they think it will look like, and we know how reliable the magazine predictions are.. :rolleyes:

And yes, since Ford NA is incapable of designing and building a car like this ford should just import the falcon finally, Ford needs at least one RWD sedan, and it would keep the factories in Australia going.. It's a no brainer, hopefully Mulally has already put the plan to do so into motion, we see what the other way has done to Ford..

You got me all excited for nothing.. :finger:

That's a CGI of what they think it will look like, and we know how reliable the magazine predictions are.. :rolleyes:

And yes, since Ford NA is incapable of designing and building a car like this ford should just import the falcon finally, Ford needs at least one RWD sedan, and it would keep the factories in Australia going.. It's a no brainer, hopefully Mulally has already put the plan to do so into motion, we see what the other way has done to Ford..

If that is what the new Falcon looks like then its barely a progression beyond what it already looks like. It always seems that Australian cars trail a generation behind as if they are catching up to styling trends the rest of the world has already moved away from. However, having the Falcon here is better than having the absolute nothing Ford is offering in the US except a bunch of lackadiasical FWD Toyota/Lexus-style Old People Movers... It really pisses me off Ford cannot commit to anything other than a Mustang if you want a performance image car. Guess we have to keep drooling over concepts Ford never intends to produce...

Okay so I hearby declare the class of sedans Ford currently makes.. OPM's... Old People Movers...

Edited by Watchdevil

If that is what the new Falcon looks like then its barely a progression beyond what it already looks like. It always seems that Australian cars trail a generation behind as if they are catching up to styling trends the rest of the world has already moved away from. However, having the Falcon here is better than having the absolute nothing Ford is offering in the US except a bunch of lackadiasical FWD Toyota/Lexus-style Old People Movers... It really pisses me off Ford cannot commit to anything other than a Mustang if you want a performance image car. Guess we have to keep drooling over concepts Ford never intends to produce...

Okay so I hearby declare the class of sedans Ford currently makes.. OPM's... Old People Movers...

I agree. Its more than an image car issue i believe, its a market that isnt being tailered to. Estimates in other threads have said it would beed 30K to 50K unites to be profitable. that doesnt sound very unreasonable in the NA market. I am 25, i am single and in 2 weeks i am starting work with DuPont which i see as a permanent career move for me. I have had 7 cars, all of them Ford vehicles. All but one were older cars, but my Ranger shows that the need for a newer car is always a benefit. The Ranger has filled my needs in an excellent fashion.

However, when i went shopping for my first modern car, i was in the market for just that. a car. Ford had nothing to offer except a Mustang. i did not want that. i still dont want a Mustang. They are nice, and my mom has had 3 herself, but its not for me. i want something a little bigger, still RWD and of course i want a Ford. the Pontiac G8 looks really nice, but id rather buy a Ford. the Falcon is awesome as far as im concerned. It is what i am looking for, and in the 2 years i figure it would take to establish myself in my career, it would be the right product to buy, at the right time for me.

give me RWD. Give me the 4.0 Turbo I6. Give me a 6 speed manual. $29K-$30K sounds fair. I will buy it. It just wont be a red one for me. (thats a whole nother story :D)

With regards to the CGI, our insiders tell us the the styling themes are there and are correct, it's the finer detail that will highlight the new styling theme. If you were to look in a show room with Euro Focus, Mondeo and the 2008 Falcon, you would see the family resemblance, that's what they're aiming for - continuity. Insiders also say the designers trick the eye into thinking the Falcon is smaller than it is.

These are2008 Falcon CGI Images = Style Trend Only

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/forum/a...mp;d=1172451820

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/forum/a...mp;d=1172451850

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/forum/a...mp;d=1172451858

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/forum/a...mp;d=1172452264

Edited by jpd80

That's surprisingly bland. A NA-bound RWD sedan? Yes. A direct Falcon import? No.

Although I'm still not sure that the Falcon chassis will make it to the US. I bet that the D2C Mustang chassis gets stretched for any possible US sedans. Sure, that's adding complexity, just like CD3 vs. EUCD vs. D3, but I think Ford NA needs to hurry up and commit to a RWD sedan. This sedan should be exclusively American in design & nature, and I'm guessing that is easier to accomplish with D2C being native.

So my ideal hierarchy is:

1. Brand new, world-class RWD chassis for sedans & coupes (ain't gonna happen)

2. D2C-based RWD sedans for NA

3. Falcon-based RWD sedans for NA

4. Falcon-based RWD sedans imported for NA

5. Falcons imported for NA

Scott

That's surprisingly bland. A NA-bound RWD sedan? Yes. A direct Falcon import? No.

Holden exports about 80,000 Commodores and Statesman/Caprices, the majority of these to the Middle East. The next Falcon will definitely have a left hooker variant and will probably be aimed at similar markets to the Commodore. If the Falcon could pick up as little as 50,000 to 80,000 sales in the Middle East and maybe North America then Ford Australia would be over the moon.

The styling is by design closely aligned with Euro Focus (CD1) and Mondeo so if buyers like these cars then the chances are that they will like the new Falcon too. What you would call "bland styling" appeals to the majority of buyers out there. Look at Camry's 440,000 odd sales last year and that's about as bland as they come. That's where peoples impressions of styling come unstuck, bold styling statements polarising the market with early high sales followed by a slump when buyers move on.

Whether the Falcon even gets to the USA in any way shape or form is anybody's guess. As you say, there's also the Mustang D2C platform for North America to consider. Is it worth importing a sedan when a Mustang coupe can be converted? I doubt that it really on the radar given Ford's current predicament, niche markets are probably low priority anyway. I just hope Alan Mulally takes the new Falcon for test drive.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/ma...ew/Orion1-1.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Also note the the next Falcon will use the Territory style front suspension and steering rack This enables improved handling and steering response as well as enabling adaptation to AWD (already developed on the Territory). No confirmation of any AWD Falcon.

Be careful of the Pontiac G8:

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will."

-- Yoda

Edited by jpd80