1964 Cougar II

I like it, Ford don't sell a Sports Car in Europe anymore, as they are so hard up at the moment, its nice to see one with the Blue Oval on it. Ford seem to have money to burn on boring bland granddads cars like the Jellymould Focus ST which will burn a lot of cash with next to zero sales in return seem like another loser. Much like the bland Cougar that tried to pass off as a sports car that also sold next to zero car in the UK sometime recently can't remember when no one was interested in it.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Holy Flashback Batman! I had a 1/24 scale plastic model of that when I was ...... little. As I recall it was one of the advanced kits, with working steering and doors. I may not have completed it. I had totally forgotten about that car.

Hi Retroman:

I had the same problem with the kit. It took me ages to finish it. At the time (late '60s) most AMT, MPC and JoHan models were simple with molded chassis and steel axles. I used to put them together in 20 minutes after the paint dried. The Lindberg/IMC cars were much more realistic and complex. The one you found on E-bay is the reissue.

I always loved loved loved the Cougar II. I had a plastic model kit of it too when I was younger.. It was made by Testors... Anyway, its was the first in a long line of wonderful concept cars that Ford will never build.... The Mercury Messenger was absolutely stunning and you can clearly see it was inspired by the Cougar II... That's what Mercury needs now as an alternative to a Mustang... And NO Lincoln badge... Fuck Lincoln they dont need everything.. Not that they have all that much to begin with right now...

Ford has gotten so boring the only car they make that I really really like is the Mustang.

Hi Retroman:

I had the same problem with the kit. It took me ages to finish it. At the time (late '60s) most AMT, MPC and JoHan models were simple with molded chassis and steel axles. I used to put them together in 20 minutes after the paint dried. The Lindberg/IMC cars were much more realistic and complex. The one you found on E-bay is the reissue.

It used to piss me off getting a model kit so complex that the suspenion parts were small pieces that easily broke making the wheels hard to keep assembled. Also, I liked the solid steel axles better than the ones that if you got the wrong amount of glue on the axle pin, it would fuse the whole damn wheel so that it would not turn...

Iove that they have been reissuing old model kits.. you can now get a 1973 Cougar which I always loved...

It used to piss me off getting a model kit so complex that the suspenion parts were small pieces that easily broke making the wheels hard to keep assembled. Also, I liked the solid steel axles better than the ones that if you got the wrong amount of glue on the axle pin, it would fuse the whole damn wheel so that it would not turn...

Iove that they have been reissuing old model kits.. you can now get a 1973 Cougar which I always loved...

I know someone used to make a Cougar in '71 or '72 probably MPC . I remember that it was molded in color I think mine was green.

I know someone used to make a Cougar in '71 or '72 probably MPC . I remember that it was molded in color I think mine was green.

MPC made them and it was recently reissued... the mold is now a 1973 which was the last time it was modified for the model year changes. Back then they used to update the models every year. That was also back in the day when there were numerous promo models that coincided with the real vehicle model year changes.

The Aurora had the front seat swivel. I don't think that would work with airbags and shoulder seatbelts.

Yeah...I'm not sure how that would work for the airbag...but the caravan is supposed to be fine with it in the middle row...guess we'll see.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Ford has had quite a few runs at competing with the Corvette, which in my opinion is the quintessential Americans sports car. Ford Thunderbird, Shelby Cobra, Shelby GT-350, DeTomaso Pantera, and the aborted Yamaha-powered 2-seater in the 80's.

It's a pointless market to compete in, since they already have the higher volume and higher profit Mustang to concentrate on. The Corvette, like the Porsche 911, has been evolving on the same basic structure for decades, and any Ford attempt to build a straight-on competitor will not only do the company no good even if it succeeds, but it takes up valuable resources needed elsewhere right now.

A proper Ford sports car should look like this. It shall be called Thunderbird, cost $45,000, have 2 seats, both coupe and convertible versions, come standard with the new 5.8L Boss V8 or 3.5L Twin-Force, 6-speed DSG or manual, and have completely modern styling.