2006 or 2007 mustang?

yamahaR1

I'll be up front and honest here. I ordered my 06 GT and have had it for 5 months. I love it. Before I bought it, I also looked at other brands like Infiniti, Nissan, Acura, and BMW because of their reputations, looks, and features. I ended up test driving the G35, 350Z, TSX, and 330. I thought the 330 was the best out of that bunch. The Japanese cars lacked punch (torque) at the upper end. I ended up picking the Mustang because I honestly wanted torque and V8 sound. The creature comforts are nice, but I just didn't place them that high on my priority list. I cared most about safety (Mustang scored high here), power, looks, and value. Plus, the Mustang just makes me smile everytime I see it.

By the way, one of my coworkers has a G35 coupe and I spanked him :D . I'm sure I can spank the 350Z, TSX (definitely) and the 330. They do have some punch in the low range, but once you get up to 50/55 mph, they lose it.

The argument about horsepower also doesn't really matter to me personally as I drive in a lot of hills, I need torque not horsepower. Plus, if I'm wrong please correct me, but I think the IS350 is pretty maxed out at 306 (at crank). The stock 300 HP in the Mustang can be upped to about 330 (at crank) with only a CAI. There is much more power potential in an 8 than a 6 any day. That's just my thought.

Get what makes you happy, whatever makes you smile, and whatever you'll be happy with making payments on. I smile every month I write that check! :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be up front and honest here. I ordered my 06 GT and have had it for 5 months. I love it. Before I bought it, I also looked at other brands like Infiniti, Nissan, Acura, and BMW because of their reputations, looks, and features. I ended up test driving the G35, 350Z, TSX, and 330. I thought the 330 was the best out of that bunch. The Japanese cars lacked punch (torque) at the upper end. I ended up picking the Mustang because I honestly wanted torque and V8 sound. The creature comforts are nice, but I just didn't place them that high on my priority list. I cared most about safety (Mustang scored high here), power, looks, and value. Plus, the Mustang just makes me smile everytime I see it.

By the way, one of my coworkers has a G35 coupe and I spanked him :D . I'm sure I can spank the 350Z, TSX (definitely) and the 330. They do have some punch in the low range, but once you get up to 50/55 mph, they lose it.

The argument about horsepower also doesn't really matter to me personally as I drive in a lot of hills, I need torque not horsepower. Plus, if I'm wrong please correct me, but I think the IS350 is pretty maxed out at 306 (at crank). The stock 300 HP in the Mustang can be upped to about 330 (at crank) with only a CAI. There is much more power potential in an 8 than a 6 any day. That's just my thought.

Get what makes you happy, whatever makes you smile, and whatever you'll be happy with making payments on. I smile every month I write that check! :D

Hey, thanks for your honesty and information. Some jerks on this site act like the mustang is the only car on the planet. Sounds like you looked at the same cars I am considering. I am at the test drive stage, only there is snow everywhere here in Michigan, so I will probably wait a little while to make a decision. Here is where I am coming from. There are no hills here in Michgan, mostly flat land, so the torque is nice, but not a necessity. I have an '03 slightly modified Yamaha R1 motorcycle. It is about 380lbs dry, and just over 400lbs full of fluids putting out about 150 hp. It will smoke any car on this list of yours at least up to 160 mph or so, and I even beat a viper when my bike was new. 1/4 mile time is just under 10 seconds, 0-60 in under 3 seconds. My point is that I don't really need a fast car, I have a faster bike. That might take the mustang off my list. What will save the mustang on my list is that it will not be a daily driver. I have a pretty loaded Expediton for that, so, my second car does not really need to be loaded. I guess I will just let the test drives make the choice for me. I think the Lexus IS350 is out, because I want a real manual transmission, and only the IS250 has one for some reason. The others are still alive on my list, hard choices man! Later.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to ay am I there with you R1...I have been a Ford man since High School when the '82 GT rolled out and knew I would own one. My dream came true when I ordered an '88 GT that I spent considerable time debating about options - I was first going to order an LX 5.0 notch stripo with just a sunroof and premium tunes, ended up ordering a GT with power windows and locks, sunroof, premium stereo - but sans AC - ha ha remember those days?

The fact of the matter is though, I can not live with a car without certain things, certainly not with out AC! Its hard for me to believe but the '05-'06 GT has nothing over what was IMO a plusher '88 GT. Ok the tunes have more power and the factory brakes are way better - but is the car any more FTD or comfortable?

My last Mustang was an '04 Cobra that was an automobile massochist...as an everyday vehicle. While I love minimalistiic motoring (my 3000lb 325hp Fairmont can attest to this) and unless you can afford a new Mustang for part time driving fun ( I can't) a car needs to soothe as well as conform to enthusiastic foot work when the mood strikes.

Who say's you shouldn't have a Mustang with auto climate control, heated seats, rain sensor wipers, headlight sentinal, HID? We didn't have this back in the eighties but I cannot believe you can't even get a Mustang with a power let alone pop-up sunroof today!

I mean really - an '80's Mitsu Conquest TSI is STILL more sophisticated than a new Mustang!

Edited by Project-Fairmont

I have to ay am I there with you R1...I have been a Ford man since High School when the '82 GT rolled out and knew I would own one. My dream came true when I ordered an '88 GT that I spent considerable time debating about options - I was first going to order an LX 5.0 notch stripo with just a sunroof and premium tunes, ended up ordering a GT with power windows and locks, sunroof, premium stereo - but sans AC - ha ha remember those days?

The fact of the matter is though, I can not live with a car without certain things, certainly not with out AC! Its hard for me to believe but the '05-'06 GT has nothing over what was IMO a plusher '88 GT. Ok the tunes have more power and the factory brakes are way better - but is the car any more FTD or comfortable?

My last Mustang was an '04 Cobra that was an automobile massochist...as an everyday vehicle. While I love minimalistiic motoring (my 3000lb 325hp Fairmont can attest to this) and unless you can afford a new Mustang for part time driving fun ( I can't) a car needs to soothe as well as conform to enthusiastic foot work when the mood strikes.

Who say's you shouldn't have a Mustang with auto climate control, heated seats, rain sensor wipers, headlight sentinal, HID? We didn't have this back in the eighties but I cannot believe you can't even get a Mustang with a power let alone pop-up sunroof today!

I mean really - an '80's Mitsu Conquest TSI is STILL more sophisticated than a new Mustang!

Hey, thanks for the vote of agreement. I knew I was not crazy. I kept getting beat on by these jugheads who think the 'stang is the only car in the world. I love mustangs too, but I am in your boat thinking that there are just some creature comforts that are important to me now, more than when I was 18. BTW, I am only 30 now, but the current gen mustang is probably not as appealing to me as it would have been when I was 18 and did not care about the "bling" like I do now. Can't imagine a car without AC now, but when I was a teenager, no big deal. Guess I have evolved into some sort of sophistication, which is what I wish for the mustang. For instance, I love the idea of the "my color" option, but why could they not have all the dash light integrated instead of just the guages? It is called evolution. This car may be too retro for me. If I was rich and could just afford to have a drag racer in my garage, ok then, but I want some "bling", oh well, still haven't made up my mind, lots of tough choices, I have a short list, including the mustang. Looks like you ditched the cobra for a beemer. How do you like it? I bet you did not have to add a bunch of aftermarket crap to the car to make it cool, right! I am not sold on some of the new styles of the bmw's though, but the 3 series still looks sharp to me. Seems like I don't like too many other beemers unless they are way out of my price range, figures right.

Edited by yamahaR1

Me I was thinking about a Cobra, But since It's to be offered only with a 6 speed manual tranny Ford once again is being Cheap just like they were on on the '79-'87 Mustangs and their too thin floorboards(Cops had to threaten Ford with not buying anymore Fords to get that fixed and in '88 and up It was fixed), I had to have a plate welded in or My car would have torn Itself apart into 2 pieces and I had a pair of T bars installed to unite the front and rear of the unibody on My '87 GT, the car rode much better after that too. Of course I don't have It anymore, So now I'll soon have enough cash to do It right($60,000 should be enough), The Shelby Cobra GT500 would have been enough. But naturally no Automatic, And as I'm not quite as young or as flexible as I used to be, At least I can find numerous GT Mustangs to modify(at least 6 with what I want are nearby). But then I never learned how to drive a stick, Just an automatic, The clutch I can handle as I used to drive Suzuki motorcycles (GS1150ES) among others, Where to place the stick for each gear is a mystery to Me as I'd have to look at It to figure It out and I'd rather not take My eyes off the road, Not even for a second.

Me I was thinking about a Cobra, But since It's to be offered only with a 6 speed manual tranny Ford once again is being Cheap just like they were on on the '79-'87 Mustangs and their too thin floorboards(Cops had to threaten Ford with not buying anymore Fords to get that fixed and in '88 and up It was fixed), I had to have a plate welded in or My car would have torn Itself apart into 2 pieces and I had a pair of T bars installed to unite the front and rear of the unibody on My '87 GT, the car rode much better after that too. Of course I don't have It anymore, So now I'll soon have enough cash to do It right($60,000 should be enough), The Shelby Cobra GT500 would have been enough. But naturally no Automatic, And as I'm not quite as young or as flexible as I used to be, At least I can find numerous GT Mustangs to modify(at least 6 with what I want are nearby). But then I never learned how to drive a stick, Just an automatic, The clutch I can handle as I used to drive Suzuki motorcycles (GS1150ES) among others, Where to place the stick for each gear is a mystery to Me as I'd have to look at It to figure It out and I'd rather not take My eyes off the road, Not even for a second.

I wouldn't really say Ford is being "cheap" by not offering an auto in the GT500. They haven't offered an auto in any premium Mustang since 1993. It's not uncommon practice in the upper echelon of performance cars. You can't get an automatic in a Corvette Z06 either.

I wouldn't really say Ford is being "cheap" by not offering an auto in the GT500. They haven't offered an auto in any premium Mustang since 1993. It's not uncommon practice in the upper echelon of performance cars. You can't get an automatic in a Corvette Z06 either.

I can see why a friend of mine bought a Porsche Boxster then, I may look at a Saleen and see what they offer.

The 2006 SALEEN S281 SC Coupe has 435hp and 425lb torque and a 5 speed automatic too.

Just get a Corvette...even the standard model....400 HP, 6 speed manual, gadgets, IRS...and even a reasonable price. Only two front seats, but our rears are mostly useless anyway.

Sounds to me you want either a Corvette or M3...and I agree with you about the looks of the BMW's. Actually a 3 series manual trans 330 might be enough. It's a much all around faster car than the HP numbers suggest.

I agree our Mustangs are crude drag race oriented vehicles. But I have so much fun with my simple machine, I just can't part with it.

I think you were talking to me when you said just get a corvette. I like them, but they have no rear seat. Believe it or not, my 3 and 1 year old boys fit perfectly in the back of a mustang. Now, me getting back there would be another story. Seeing some young hot thing losing her virginity in the back of that thing would be quite a feat using some great contorsion. Anyway, just cannot part with the back seat, might as well just ride my motorcycle rather than to get a corvette. My bike is faster, and I get more air in my face! I might take a 3 series for a test drive just for the heck of it. I think they look cool, better warranty, service included for some odd years, I think it is included while it is under warranty, better prestige, better treatment at the dealership, many reasons, but I am a mustang guy deep down at heart. The mustang was released on my birth date as far as I know, April 17th, even though I was born 10 years after it was released. Guess I have a connection with that car somehow. I still wish they would put out that real SE now, in the middle of the road between the cobra and the GT. I cannot afford $50,000-$60,000 for a cobra because I already have a pretty pricey Expedition. That is just my guess of the price after the greed mark-up of the jerkoff dealers, so what am I to do? I have to decide to sacrafice some gadgetry that all the cars in that price range seem to have to get a mustang. I am in the price range of a GT convertible manual tranny, so that includes the 3 series and acura TL, and infinity, and such, my list has some cool cars, decisions. It will be fun test driving whatever I can get my hands on until I decide. Thanks again to the posters who had a real reply with information for me, not just to try to cut down cars I am interested in. I see now I am getting some real replies from people who are not brainwashed by Ford. Thanks.

I am in the price range of a GT convertible manual tranny, so that includes the 3 series and acura TL, and infinity, and such, my list has some cool cars, decisions.

This rears its ugly head again. It looks like you're trying to come up with some configuration that spends all the money you've budgeted.

If you're going to look at the 'vert, the 'vert is obviously worth something to you. Keep in mind that you're comparing a 'vert to a plethora of coupes.

If the 'vert's not worth that much to you, acknowledge that you COULD buy the coupe and the question becomes your gimmicks or $5-6000 in your pocket.

You are under no obligation to spend all the money you've budgeted. If the convertible has intrinsic value to you, acknowledge that intrinsic value. If it does not, forget it and compare the coupes on equal footing.

This rears its ugly head again. It looks like you're trying to come up with some configuration that spends all the money you've budgeted.

If you're going to look at the 'vert, the 'vert is obviously worth something to you. Keep in mind that you're comparing a 'vert to a plethora of coupes.

If the 'vert's not worth that much to you, acknowledge that you COULD buy the coupe and the question becomes your gimmicks or $5-6000 in your pocket.

You are under no obligation to spend all the money you've budgeted. If the convertible has intrinsic value to you, acknowledge that intrinsic value. If it does not, forget it and compare the coupes on equal footing.

You are right, I could just opt for the coupe and save some cash, which I would probably just have to put back into the car to make it "bling :happy feet: " worthy, what is the difference? Man, this is like the topic that won't die, everytime I let it go for a while, someone will reply with something that gets me thinking again. That is cool though,,,, trying to talk me into the 'stang would not be very difficult, if you read my previous post, I am eternally linked to the birth of the mustang. I just don't want to plop down $30k for a car that seems a little shy of the cool factor once the newness of the car wears off after a few months. Man, I do feel sorry for anyone that paid that rape charge though, there have been stangs sitting around here (michigan) for months now. On the real though, anyone with any experience with cars in this price range could post some more helpful info, that would be great, I am in the market for a second car, in case you have not read any of my previous posts. :shrug: Decisions man, tough. LATER

Man, this is wierd, I have been looking on bama boy's forum on the Mustang Source, and even the stang's unleashed boards and there has been some discussions going on that almost mirror's the post's and reply's on this topic which I started. I know now that I am not the only one who would want a nicer mustang, and not the current one where Ford has cut corners in areas that are important to people who live more than 1/4 mile at a time. I am also seeing how the sales are already lagging on the current model. Time will tell, they may be able to get some real special editions out in the next 5 years or so (sarcastic) but I am not going to hold my breath. What a shame, the car has so much potential to be a world beater. Someone at Ford should have over-rid the beancounters and got some balls. Mark my words, this model will need incentives next year, and maybe even this year. What a shame, sucks to be right. I bet the camero (yuck) and challenger (more so yuck) will stomp all over the stang because they will put some effort into it. That is what I am looking for, fit/finish/quality/workmanship and most improtantly BLING, the japenese are winning for some reason. Open your eyes Ford.

We know of the SEs that are/may be in the pipeline - California Edition, Boss, Bullitt, Mach I.

I have it on good authority there's another - the Mustang Battery. It will be a hybrid. In addition to helping improve fuel mileage, the batteries will be used to power the heated and AC-cooled seats and mirrors, wheels with independent spinners (real bling), power, auto-raising hood and decklid, blinds that will raise and lower when the sun is at a certain angle, headlights that steer with the vehicle, etc., etc., etc.

We know of the SEs that are/may be in the pipeline - California Edition, Boss, Bullitt, Mach I.

I have it on good authority there's another - the Mustang Battery. It will be a hybrid. In addition to helping improve fuel mileage, the batteries will be used to power the heated and AC-cooled seats and mirrors, wheels with independent spinners (real bling), power, auto-raising hood and decklid, blinds that will raise and lower when the sun is at a certain angle, headlights that steer with the vehicle, etc., etc., etc.

Funny man, you had me going for half a second,,,,on the real though, if you had any real info about the se's, I'd love it because then I could quit complaining. Oh, if it is more than a year on the se's, don't bother, because I will by a real bling mobile instead, maybe even put some scissor doors on it or some wheel spinners,,,,,just kidding, never thought those were cool when they were in for a hot minute, later

Edited by yamahaR1

Ha, Ha, Ha, looks like I complained loud enough for Ford to hear, I got my wish. I read on bama boy's website mustang source that they are having heated seats and the compas/temp mirror as well as power passenger seats as an option for '07 as a part of a new "comfort group", now all they need to do is get my painted outside mirrors and I will be happy. I knew they had to make some changes for sales purposes, bout time Ford, you are wising up after all, a little anyway, there is more to do, and then it will be a world class car.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, everyone has a pretty strong opinion on this topic. I happen to agree with both sides of the arguement.

Recently I purchased a new GT convertible and I love it, but prior to my GT I've had 3 Jeep Wranglers. My first car was a Jeep and I can't say anything bad about any of the Jeeps I've owned. There an overall feeling which is different than any other SUV out there with a Jeep.

That being said, when I went to purchase a new car and trade in my 92 Wrangler I went to the Jeep dealership to purchase a new Jeep. To my surprise the Wrangler of the past in no longer the Wrangler now. It has become semi-luxury SUV (when I say luxury for a Jeep I mean 7 speakers with a sub/speed control/etc.). The appeal to the Jeep for me is that it was an vehicle that I could take apart with a phillips-head screwdriver. NOT THE CASE ANYMORE.

The real enthusiast Jeep owner hates the new models (97+), while the high school girl down the street wants to buy one to go to the mall.

That's a little more extreme then adding heated seats or painted mirrors as an option to the Mustang, but I still think if you try to specialize in too many areas (meaning luxary, performance, price, etc.) you end up doing none of them well.

Edited by DaneJarUs

Wow, everyone has a pretty strong opinion on this topic. I happen to agree with both sides of the arguement.

Recently I purchased a new GT convertible and I love it, but prior to my GT I've had 3 Jeep Wranglers. My first car was a Jeep and I can't say anything about about any of the Jeeps I've owned. There an overall feeling which is different than any other SUV out there with a Jeep.

That being said, when I went to purchase a new car and trade in my 92 Wrangler I went to the Jeep dealership to purchase a new Jeep. To my surprise the Wrangler of the past in no longer the Wrangler now. It has become semi-luxury SUV (when I say luxury for a Jeep I mean 7 speakers with a sub/speed control/etc.). The appeal to the Jeep for me is that it was an vehicle that I could take apart with a phillips-head screwdriver. NOT THE CASE ANYMORE.

The real enthusiast Jeep owner hates the new models (97+), while the high school girl down the street wants to buy one to go to the mall.

That's a little more extreme then adding heated seats or painted mirrors as an option to the Mustang, but I still think if you try to specialize in too many areas (meaning luxary, performance, price, etc.) you end up doing none of them well.

The Free Press just ran a story on Jeep's tough heritage vs. the soccor mom jeeps:

http://www.getrammed.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109

Mustang order guides are here:

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/index.php?c...13_sectionid=12

Hey I appreciate the link to that Jeep story. That's right on.

By the way, next year when Mich. travels to Happy Valley there will be a different result. :lol2:

Don't count out Michigan State, they had a strong start last year, then collapsed. They were in the games down to the end with U of M and Ohio State. I cannot remember the outcome of Penn State-MSU, but Penn State must have won. Just watch, we could suprise this year in the Big Ten (eleven).

Don't count out Michigan State, they had a strong start last year, then collapsed. They were in the games down to the end with U of M and Ohio State. I cannot remember the outcome of Penn State-MSU, but Penn State must have won. Just watch, we could suprise this year in the Big Ten (eleven).

No doubt! Michigan State always plays Penn State extremely hard. No matter if PSU is awful or vice versa, both teams play each other well. I would trade Joe Paterno's glasses for Ohio State ending up dead last behind Northwestern, Indiana, and Illinios. So atleast Michigan/Michigan St./Penn State can all agree root for one thing - "OSU failure".

Guest Sixcav

Just a question everyone. Is there another sports coupe on the market that offers a 300 hp V8. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, 1/4 miles times in the 13 1/2 range, .89 on the skid pad and excellent stopping power for 25K brand new? You know the top of the line Eclipse is as much as a Mustang GT but I've driven that car before I bought my stang and it will not hold up against the stang head to head. It has a lot of fancy gadgets and such but a sports car is about performance driving isn't it? At about 50 mph the stang is going to hit 4th and run away from the Eclipse because it has the broad deep torque curve that doesn't quit until about 120 mph. Typically to get the level of peformance you get from a Mustang GT in another manufacturers car you have to spend a lot more than 25K. I think that's point of the Mustang. I'd like to see some gadgetry too, but the fact is, it would drive the price up. I bought the car pretty much stripped down, on purpose I might add. Because I wanted to add my own gadgets down the line. Upgraded stereo, better seats, GPS, and little touches like sequential tail lights and HID lamps I can do all myself. Isn't part of owning one of these cars the "do it yourself" personality? If we just let Ford tac on all this stuff they of course are going to charge way more than its worth. We all know how much they mark up option content. I say, better off adding your own option content. But that's me.