The return of the Chrysler Imperial

morgande

Yet another answer to yet another question nobody asked.

Actually it is a question people have asked. With the limited choice of a tired full-sized Lincoln model, those who would prefer an American luxury full-sized car really only have Cadillac to choose from.

Besides, some of the best models out on the road have come from "questions nobody asked."

Actually it is a question people have asked. With the limited choice of a tired full-sized Lincoln model, those who would prefer an American luxury full-sized car really only have Cadillac to choose from.

Besides, some of the best models out on the road have come from "questions nobody asked."

I think the question more people have asked is, why doesn't Chrysler Corp have an economy car? I still don't know how the heck they meet CAFE since they got rid of the Neon. They just seem to have the completely wrong priorities.

Yet another answer to yet another question nobody asked.

Yeah, but that is where suprise hits come from, Chevy HHR anyone? Of course you could name just as many that failed............It will be interesting to see how it plays out, and now that it will be Chrysler Corporation wih no luxury brand, I see room for chrysler to move up.

I think the question more people have asked is, why doesn't Chrysler Corp have an economy car? I still don't know how the heck they meet CAFE since they got rid of the Neon. They just seem to have the completely wrong priorities.

They will gt some Chery's

Yeah, but that is where suprise hits come from, Chevy HHR anyone? Of course you could name just as many that failed............It will be interesting to see how it plays out, and now that it will be Chrysler Corporation wih no luxury brand, I see room for chrysler to move up.

HHR? Its popularity is already waning.

I just don't see where a fuller-than-fullsize-heavy-as-crap V8 RWD pseudo-luxury car will find a sustainable market in this day and age. Plus as many others have mentioned, it's ugly as shit.

I wish Chrysler all the best and hope it works out because they need to money, but I think they would have been much better off offering up a choice to the faster-growing small car market.

Edited by NickF1011

HHR? Its popularity is already waning.

I just don't see where a fuller-than-fullsize-heavy-as-crap V8 RWD pseudo-luxury car will find a sustainable market in this day and age. Plus as many others have mentioned, it's ugly as shit.

I wish Chrysler all the best and hope it works out because they need to money, but I think they would have been much better off offering up a choice to the faster-growing small car market.

Lincoln and Cadillac are firmly entrenched in this market. With Mercedes gone it only makes sense that Chrysler could use a luxury vehicle.

But I do agree - they are going to have to also start thinking smaller, more fuel efficient and look at alternative fuel sources to stay competitive.

I don't care if they do build this thing, as my Dad and his Dad would say "It's still a Chrysler". Chrysler has been for a long time, on a marketing par with Buick and Mercury and will never rise above that. I remember the 1981 era Imperial and how that Mark V knockoff was supposed to drub the Eldorado and Mark Series out of existence. It didn't. To me, the Imperial concept has all the style of a Checker Cab and less personality. Contrary to what the so called auto experts say, it doesn't really resemble a Rolls Royce. The Phantom is a large, elegant looking car. All this Imperial will do is look like a cheap polyester imitation that it is and be a monumental flop at best. I agree with Nick - Chrysler should focus on a more economical cars.

The real Imperials, when Imperial was a seperate division, were great cars...all the luxury, and they were faster, handled better, were better built, than either Cadillacs or Lincolns. The old Imps are banned in most demolition derbies because the goddamn things are indestructibile..but you can run a Lincoln if you want; they just fall apart.

This new thing is just another piece of shit sorry ass attempt to cash in on something that was real.

I think there is a .1 % chance it will come. Gas is sky high and Mopar version 3 is not going to bring out another 14 mpg 'that thing gotta Hemi' car for the loyalists to cream over, but not actaully buy.

Mopar LLC needs conquest customers, stat!

I remember the 1981 era Imperial and how that Mark V knockoff was supposed to drub the Eldorado and Mark Series out of existence. It didn't.

Very true, although Lincoln did end up copying the bustle back styling from the Imperial and Seville. That model of Imperial also came out at a time when everything Chrysler had on the road was still suffering from the junk they had put out in the 70's. Except maybe for the Cordoba with it's "Rich Corinthian Leather." :hysterical: If I remember correctly the '81 Imperials had a major fuel injection problem as well.

Times have changed since then. True, Imperial can't compete with Lincoln and Cadillac as they are separate divisions and Imperial is top of the line Chrysler. At the most it will be a halo car for the division.

Ah the good old Detroit days: using cars as bargaining chips with the union ('take a pay cut, and we'll pay you to build this ridiculously hideous vehicle.') I'm disgusted Ford still does this to a certain extent.

What disgusting hideous and superfluous Fords do you have in mind?

What disgusting hideous and superfluous Fords do you have in mind?

Ford has allegedly been dangling new product at LAP & MTP in an effort to improve quality, pass COAs, etc.

As far as superfluous Fords go, the GT, LS, & Thunderbird are all gone, so I can't say that they've got any product that is unnecessary: old product yes, unnecessary product? no.

Very true, although Lincoln did end up copying the bustle back styling from the Imperial and Seville. That model of Imperial also came out at a time when everything Chrysler had on the road was still suffering from the junk they had put out in the 70's. Except maybe for the Cordoba with it's "Rich Corinthian Leather." :hysterical: If I remember correctly the '81 Imperials had a major fuel injection problem as well.

Times have changed since then. True, Imperial can't compete with Lincoln and Cadillac as they are separate divisions and Imperial is top of the line Chrysler. At the most it will be a halo car for the division.

Oh don't get me wrong, from a styling standpoint I liked the '81 Imperial and nearly bought a silver one. The fuel injection problem they had was really bad. I knew a guy who had a yellow one that he ended up pulling off the fuel injection system from and retrofitting a 4 barrel carb from a police package Gran Fury. I think if anything, the Imperial - if it comes into being - will only hurt the 300 with the DUB crowd.

I hope they bring this to Europe. It could set a new record.....for the lowest number of cars ever sold!

Sorry but the Chrysler Imperial sums up what European's think an American luxury car is e.g lot s of bling, chrome, fake wood, rubbish plastics, poor build quality, no cornering ability and a huge thirst for petrol. Why not just copy BMW if they want to be taken seriously?

Oh don't get me wrong, from a styling standpoint I liked the '81 Imperial and nearly bought a silver one. The fuel injection problem they had was really bad. I knew a guy who had a yellow one that he ended up pulling off the fuel injection system from and retrofitting a 4 barrel carb from a police package Gran Fury. I think if anything, the Imperial - if it comes into being - will only hurt the 300 with the DUB crowd.

I had an '81 Imperial Frank Sinatra Edition for a little while..neat car, and the original F.I. setup was long gone. It had a 4 barrel carb. Hardly any of those cars still around still have the fuel injection.