Ford Mustang Reliability

mkaresh

Consumer Reports is your Bible? You're a freaking moron!!

I have to agree (though I might not have worded it so strongly).

I read a report of theirs, of a vehicle I actually owned at the time. They ragged on two horrible design problems (or so they claimed), for two long paragraphs. Neither was true, and were actually the result of Consumers Report not even bothering to read the Owners Manual to find out how these things worked.

Yea, we don't tend to read the Manual either, but we aren't writing reports. And if we can't get something to work right, I think we would be smart enough to check the Manual. The fools.

Ever since, I take anything they write, as fantasy and never factual.

Edited by Walt

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mustang is a relatively simple car. With many parts that have been used in other Ford cars for years. Example....Engines, transmissions, differentials, etc. It's braking systems, for the most part is just standard Ford stuff as well. Ditto for the electricals mostly. How could it not be reliable? You are wasting your time.

Yea, the head gaskets blew late one night, as I was driving home after midnight, on my 1995 Mustang. True, it shared the same head gasket problem with many other Ford models at the time. Thankfully, Ford under lots of public pressure (and a law suit it lost in Canada), issued an extended warranty to over those faulty head gaskets.

Actually, that was the only major problem I have had, with all my Mustang ownerships since my '67.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through March 31, 2010. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010: 54

2008: 33

2007: 34

2006: 34

2005: 32

The 2010 is about average, the others are better than average.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Ford Mustang reliability comparisons

• 1 month later...

This coming week we'll start previewing the next set of results to participants. The preview results will be updated as responses come in--for me it's like watching the results of a presidential election, only four times a year.

My focus: how many model years will we be able to cover this time around? This depends on the number of owners that participate.

Especially interested in providing quick stats for the new 2011.

To help provide the best possible information on your year:

Car reliability research

• 1 month later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through June 30, 2010.

Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the more recent months until the summer or even fall of next year.

In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010: 49

2008: 35

2007: 24

2006: 38

The 2010 is about average, the others are better than average.

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years from 1995 on.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Ford Mustang reliability comparisons

• 1 month later...

Ive had GREAT luck with all my new Mustangs.. starting back with my 98 GT, my first new car ever.. I owned it till it had 189K miles on it.. only 1 time was it ever in the shop for anything other than regular services.. at about 19K miles a sensor failed ( I forget which one but it affected idle at cold start) Other than that it NEVER failed me . . my 2005 I only put 19K miles on it -- my work commute is only 6 miles lol .. no problems.. my 2007 about 20K -- no problems, my 2010 18K - No problems.. now Im waiting on my 11 and hoping it maintains the record of my others... :)

• 1 month later...

Starting this month we have a new question to measure, as objectively as possible, the severity of a problem. Many people have been asking for reliability stats that weight problems by how severe they are, and once we have enough responses with the revised survey we'll start providing this.

Also, updated reliability stats this month.

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

Car reliability research

As always, the more owners participate, the better the information we can provide to everyone.

I would reject any use of self-reported data, especially in cases where there is known competition between manufacturer, make and models, and even more so between owners of same make with different model year.

Just read forums where there are owners of 2010 and 2011 Mustangs and note when those models are compared.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My gut sense is that it's not a serious concern, but I haven't yet taken a close look at the data, and probably don't have a large enough sample size for the 5.0 alone.

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through September 30, 2010. Other sources of car reliability information won't cover the months since April until the summer or even fall of next year.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2011: 51, about average, small sample size, much more solid stat in February

2010: 40

2008: 39

2007: 18

2006: 36

The 2010 and 2011 are about average, the others are better than average.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop. We don't have these for the Flex yet, though, because they require a larger number of responses. So if you aren't already participating, please consider doing so.

In the case of those model years we have enought data for (these stats require more of it):

2007: 86, < 1

2006: 67, < 1

Ford Mustang Lemon-odds and Nada-odds

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years from 1995 on.

Ford Mustang reliability ratings and comparisons

• 2 months later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through December 31, 2010.

2011: 59, about average, small sample size, much more solid stat in February

2010: 34, better than average

2008: 48, about average

2007: 15, better than average

2006: 41, better than average

2005: 32, better than average

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

We have these stats for a couple of model years so far (they require larger sample sizes):

2010: 65, < 1

2007: 86, < 1

2006: 68, < 1

Thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years from 1995 on.

I collect data on all cars, both the reliable and the unreliable ones, in order to provide results that make the size of the differences between them clear. The Mustang wasn't know for its reliability as recently as five years ago. It seems to have gotten much better in recent years.

Well i have a 2000 and it has been the most reliable car i've ever had.

It seems only recently (6-7 years) that Ford is getting serious about improving their vehicles - a very welcomed move on their part. Hopefully the reliability holds up as well.

I will say this, I was a Chevy guy until I test drove my 2002 F150 SC FX4. Of which I have 155,000 on it with one issue, A coil pack, twice. (different ones) Other than that, it has been my favorite vehicle of all time, even over my 92 Corvette. Although the F150 cannot do donuts on a dead end street, (although I have not tried...) It is one solid mofo! I sold the Vette to buy it.

I do hope my Mustang has the same reliability. I will not treat it the same as my 4x4 work truck by any means.

• 5 months later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through June 30, 2011.

2011: 38, about average, but very close to "better than average"

2010: 29, better than average

2008: 31, better than average

2007: 6, better than average

2006: 37, better than average

2005: 36, better than average

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

We have these stats for a couple of model years so far (they require larger sample sizes):

2010: 81, < 1

2007: 97, < 1

2006: 70, < 1

We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years from 1995 on.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

• 4 months later...

We've updated the our reliability stats for the Mustang (on our redesigned site) to include owner experiences through September 30, 2011.

2012: 68, about average, small sample size

2011 manual: 39, about average

2011 auto: 18, better than average

2010: 32, better than average

2008: 41, better than average

2007: 3, better than average

2006: 31, better than average

2005: 49, better than average

2010: 77, < 1

2007: 97, < 1

2006: 73, < 1

We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years from 1995 on.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

I've had my 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra for almost 6 years now, I am the second owner but when I bought the car it still had warranty coverage (I bought the car in 5/06 with 24,xxx miles on it, car was sold new in 8/03) I took it to the dealer to replace the throwout bearing retainer, which I think there was a TSB on it, other than that the car hasn't had any issues. Overall I've been very happy with the vehicle and ABSOLUTELY love the power!

• 3 months later...

I've had my 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra for almost 6 years now, I am the second owner but when I bought the car it still had warranty coverage (I bought the car in 5/06 with 24,xxx miles on it, car was sold new in 8/03) I took it to the dealer to replace the throwout bearing retainer, which I think there was a TSB on it, other than that the car hasn't had any issues. Overall I've been very happy with the vehicle and ABSOLUTELY love the power!

Very nice, love that year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

We've updated the our reliability stats for the Mustang to include owner experiences through September 30, 2012.

2012: 29, better than average

2011 manual: 29, better than average

2011 auto: 32, better than average

2010: 57, about average

2008: 17, better than average

2007: 18, better than average

2006: 27, better than average

2005: 49, better than average

2012: 72, < 1

2011 manual: 79, < 1

2011 auto: 75, < 1

2010: 61, 3

2007: 84, < 1

2006: 79, < 1

We'll have further updates in February and May. The more owners participate, the more precise these will be. Especially need more participants for the 1998-2005.

• 3 months later...
We've updated the our reliability stats for the Mustang to include owner experiences through December 31, 2012.

2013: 30, moderate

2012: 24, low

2011 manual: 22, low

2011 auto: 31, low

2010: 38, moderate

2008: 17, low

2007: 17, low

2006: 33, low

2005: 47, low

2012: 79, < 1

2011 manual: 81, < 1

2011 auto: 73, < 1

2010: 67, < 1

2008: 80, < 1

2007: 84, < 1

2006: 75, < 1

We'll have further updates in May and August. With more owners involved, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years from 1998 on.

• 3 months later...
We've updated our reliability stats for the Mustang to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

2013 Mustang: 15, low

2012 Mustang: 32, moderate

2011 Mustang automatic: 36, moderate

2011 Mustang manual: 24, low

2010 Mustang: 34, low

2008 Mustang: 11, low

2007 Mustang: 11, low

2006 Mustang: 38, low

2005 Mustang: 10, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2012 Mustang: 79, < 1

2011 Mustang automatic: 66, < 1

2011 Mustang manual: 84, < 1

2010 Mustang: 72, < 1

2008 Mustang: 88, < 1

2007 Mustang: 88, < 1

2006 Mustang: 64, < 1

We'll have further updates in August and in November.

For the details, including the descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help improve this information:

• 2 months later...

We've updated our reliability stats for the Mustang to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013. (Another source is about 14 months behind.)

2013 Mustang: 23, low
2012 Mustang: 27, low
2011 Mustang automatic: 47, moderate
2011 Mustang manual: 23, low
2010 Mustang: 35, low
2008 Mustang: 8, low
2007 Mustang: 11, low
2006 Mustang: 34, low
2005 Mustang: 25, low
2002 Mustang: 40, low, very small sample size

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2012 Mustang: 81, 2
2011 Mustang manual: 82, < 1
2010 Mustang: 73, < 1
2008 Mustang: 96, < 1
2007 Mustang: 88, < 1
2006 Mustang: 78, 3

We'll have further updates in November and February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help: