Ford Mustang Reliability

mkaresh

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Don't most Ford autos come with Mercon V? That's allready synthetic.

Good point.

Latest results just posted for the Mustang, covering owner experiences through the end of June. The 2006 and 2007 continue to have very low repair rates. The 2005 is a little higher, but still better than the average 2005.

We need more participants, especially for the 2007 and 2008.

For all results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Those results were updated--the current Mustang continues to require few repairs, though the repair rate for the 2005 has crept up to about average.

This month's survey is the last before the February results. Additional participants would be very helpful, especially 2008s and 2009s.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

Vehicle reliability research

• 2 weeks later...

From participating in www.mustangforums.com for the past 2 years, I think you should monitors these problem areas.

Water leaking in to the passenger side floor board. In addition to getting the carpet wet it has caused major electrical issues.

Popping noise from the front struts. Ford redesigned the upper strut mount rubber thingy (sorry I don't remember the name of the part). Ford also started adding the 4R3Z5025A Cross Member and (4) W711553-S440 Nuts on all models in March or April 1999. The crossmember brace was originally only on the convertible models.

Vertical scratches on the door windows caused by the molding.

I believe there are TSB's on all 3 of the above issues.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest Car Reliability Survey results were recently posted. The reported number of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 15 -- very low

2006: 38 -- still "better than average"

2005: 60 -- average, maybe a bit better

Insufficient data so far for the 2008, and the sample size for the 2005 was three short of the minimum. So that result is asterisked and only visible to members or the site itself.

We'll have further updates in May, August, and November, so additional participants would certainly be helpful. Especially for the 2005, 2008, 2009, and (when it arrives) 2010.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The ones for the Mustang:

Ford Mustang reliability comparisons

Edited by mkaresh

• 4 weeks later...
In late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "times in the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. Relative ratings obscure too much--how large is the difference between "better than average" and "worse than average"? I’ll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I'm collecting data on recent years of the Mustang, but the number of participants is marginal. More Mustangs in the panel would be very helpful.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Details: Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

I for one have only had my car in the shop once for an issue.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT

and have 71,000 miles now, I race every weekend at the track and other than my abuse, the cars runs spectacular.

I had replaced the Rear end Bushings on both Lower and upper controls arms but that is again my abuse, a normal car would not see Launching at 3000 rpm with Drag Radials and running upto 110 mph 5-8 times a week :hysterical:

Edited by 2k05gt

• 2 weeks later...
I for one have only had my car in the shop once for an issue.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT

and have 71,000 miles now, I race every weekend at the track and other than my abuse, the cars runs spectacular.

I had replaced the Rear end Bushings on both Lower and upper controls arms but that is again my abuse, a normal car would not see Launching at 3000 rpm with Drag Radials and running upto 110 mph 5-8 times a week :hysterical:

Dude. Just checked out your timeslips. Pretty sick for what's done to the car! Nice job.

I just bought a 2004 Mustang GT last August with 23,000 miles on it and love it. no problems with it. the only thing is can't put top down as much as i'd like because Spring doesn't seem to want to get here in full bloom lol. but warmer weather is just right around the corner here in Maryland. saw enough Robins. can't wait for the road trip to the 45 Anny in Alabama next month. Save a Horse and drive a Mustang.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 43, about average, very small sample size

2007: 22, better than average

2006: 53, about average

2005: 60, about average, marginal sample size

A big thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Edited by mkaresh

I just signed up my 2005! :happy feet:

300 is getting closer and closer.

Just FYI, I have 65000 miles.

Replaced rack and pinion and a window motor under warranty. The convertible top window glass is separating from the top. THAT bad boy isn't under warranty so I am going to have to eat an expensive top soon. SIGH...

Other than that the car has been flawless and fun to drive since August 2005. :rockon:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Karesh, thanks for your work. For those of us who had (have) been repeatedly burned by poor-reliability vehicles. every little bit counts. As someone who ran to Japanese vehicles 25 years ago after two crap cars (Trans Am, Mustang) in a row, I can attest how important the reliability is to many consumers. Since my defection, with three cars (Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu) with a combined 1,200,000 miles, I've had ONE relianility issue - a bum transmission - and that was covered by warranty.

Consumer Reports is my bible, Karesh is my torah, and other consumer reflections matter as well. It's all good, and adds up to make a wise consumer decision.

It seems only recently (6-7 years) that Ford is getting serious about improving their vehicles - a very welcomed move on their part. Hopefully the reliability holds up as well.

Consumer Reports is your Bible? You're a freaking moron!!

• 1 month later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 53, about average, small sample size

2007: 39, better than average

2006: 52, about average

2005: 60, about average

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

I've got an 05 Coupe and really enjoy it--the only issue I've had is a broken door handle about a month or so ago--I was a little disapointed that it wasn't covered under my ESP (they considered it a "trim item" :censored: ) but overall its a great car!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 33

2007: 44

2006: 50

2005: 55

All are better than average.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2010: 63, small sample size

2008: 37

2007: 38

2006: 46

2005: 37

The 2010 is about average, the others are better than average.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

• 1 month later...