07 Fusion Progress Report

So I've put just over 6000 miles on the Fusion that I bought in early April and figured that I would share a few impressions.

1) This is an easy car to drive very smooth, very quite, excellent handling...

2) Be careful if you do your own maintenance. The oil filter has quite a bit of oil behind it, it's very easy to make a mess during oil changes - thankfully I did not drink any 5w-20, but it was not for lack of effort. Speaking of which, I had to go buy a filter wrench that fits over the end of the filter, this is a very tight area.

2.a) I love that the washer fluid capacity is so large, I'm use to having to add this to my other vehicles more frequently.

2.b) If you use ramps for under car access, be careful. My father just damaged the front of his Ford 500's lower valence backing off his ramps... I nearly did the same thing. Low angle of approach ramps are mandatory.

3) This car has the best AM receiver that I have ever seen, far better than the aftermarket ones that are in my other vehicles.

4) I'm now holding steady at 30.1 mpg as calculated by the car and 29.8 as calculated by me... go figure.

On the whole, I'm impressed. The few complaints I have are concerned with access to perform routine maintenance (I now have nightmares about what will be involved when I have to finally change the sparkplugs on this car) and an annoying buzz from the passenger side door that mysteriously appeared a few weeks ago and then simply stopped. My commutes are long, this car is making a world of difference.

So I've put just over 6000 miles on the Fusion that I bought in early April and figured that I would share a few impressions.

1) This is an easy car to drive very smooth, very quite, excellent handling...

2) Be careful if you do your own maintenance. The oil filter has quite a bit of oil behind it, it's very easy to make a mess during oil changes - thankfully I did not drink any 5w-20, but it was not for lack of effort. Speaking of which, I had to go buy a filter wrench that fits over the end of the filter, this is a very tight area.

2.a) I love that the washer fluid capacity is so large, I'm use to having to add this to my other vehicles more frequently.

2.B) If you use ramps for under car access, be careful. My father just damaged the front of his Ford 500's lower valence backing off his ramps... I nearly did the same thing. Low angle of approach ramps are mandatory.

3) This car has the best AM receiver that I have ever seen, far better than the aftermarket ones that are in my other vehicles.

4) I'm now holding steady at 30.1 mpg as calculated by the car and 29.8 as calculated by me... go figure.

On the whole, I'm impressed. The few complaints I have are concerned with access to perform routine maintenance (I now have nightmares about what will be involved when I have to finally change the sparkplugs on this car) and an annoying buzz from the passenger side door that mysteriously appeared a few weeks ago and then simply stopped. My commutes are long, this car is making a world of difference.

Yep, I agree with all your points. I have an 06 and it has been a solid car. The handling, comfort, and fuel economy is excellent.

One complaint I have is rear visability (or lack of)...Another is the expensive oil filter for my 2.3. Another is the cheap 16" tires (I think they are continental), as well as the wheel covers that don't stay on center.

Glad to hear you're happy with your Fusion. That "buzz" may be the passenger side seat belt rattling against the door interior. Make sure it's fully retracted and settled in position.

I have almost 11,000 miles on my Milan and can confirm that the dash MPG calculator is typically +1mpg off. It's just an estimate after all. You can help its accuracy by not topping off the tank when you fill up. And fill up the same way every time.

Edited by Meelaan

One complaint I have is rear visability (or lack of)...Another is the expensive oil filter for my 2.3. Another is the cheap 16" tires (I think they are continental), as well as the wheel covers that don't stay on center.

It took me about a month to get used to the rear visability. More than once I had to stop while backing up and get out to make sure that I was not going to hit anything (or anyone) after I backed into a shopvac that 'someone' left on an unlit carport. I've gotten accustomed to it now. I need to go see what tires came on mine...

Edit: They are Continental's ContiProContact r16

Edit2: And they aren't cheap, the local shop quoted $125 ea. when I stopped by to place an unrelated order.

Edited by cantbeatoldfordtrucks

The SEL gets 17-inch Michelin Pilots whereas anything below an SEL gets 16 inch tires.

The 500 has the same scheme: 18-inch Pirellis for the Limited, but 17-inch tires for the SEL and SE.

I'm not sure what a valance is, but if you mean those plastic pieces under the car that stick down from the underside, yeah I've already knocked both of those off from speedbumps and offroading at the dump :-D

(Yeah, you heard me -- at the dump; I took my Fusion down there with a bunch of green waste.

I naturally sit at the highest seating position, and it still took me a while to get used to it.

I was initially concerned about the visibility from the short, high-mount rear window. After driving a two door hatchback for four years, I had gotten used to a lot of glass.

Funny thing is, the greenhouse of the Milan/Fusion is oddly easy to navigate with. I was pleasently surprised by the ease with which I can see passing traffic and maneuver considering the seemingly compromised rear view. And I change lanes in heavy traffic A LOT each day of my commute.

Had more problems with doing this in the hatchback I had although it was shorter in length and had tall side windows. One reason for that disparity is the Milan/Fusion simply places the driver higher off the ground. That was a big selling point for me, cause my a$$ was killing me after commuting in that Civic for a year (driving a Honda is like sitting in a kayak).

One big bonus of the Milan/Fusion rear window position that I noticed immediately is you never get glare in your eyes at night from the guy behind you. This is especially helpful when that guy forgot to turn off his brights or couldn't spare the time to aim his headlamps correctly. I love it because anyone tailgating me is having no negative effect on me whatsoever. "Sure, buddy... get right up on my a$$... doesn't matter, cause all you're spotlighting is my trunk lid." :shades:

"Had more problems with doing this in the hatchback I had although it was shorter in length and had tall side windows. One reason for that disparity is the Milan/Fusion simply places the driver higher off the ground. That was a big selling point for me, cause my a$$ was killing me after commuting in that Civic for a year (driving a Honda is like sitting in a kayak)."

I hated driving my civic, just like you. It was the most uncomfartable car ever. Seats have no thigh support, they are hard.

The fusion seats are perfect. You can adjust them any which way you want.

Edited by smok

I have an MKZ which I have only been driving for about two weeks. I am told that it has many of the same features as the Fusion. I am impressed with something about the outside mirrors. It seems that I no longer have a "blind spot". I have had many cars over the years but for some reason I am able to see things in those outside mirrors that were hidden on other cars. Anyone else have this experience or know why this is true?

I have an MKZ which I have only been driving for about two weeks. I am told that it has many of the same features as the Fusion. I am impressed with something about the outside mirrors. It seems that I no longer have a "blind spot". I have had many cars over the years but for some reason I am able to see things in those outside mirrors that were hidden on other cars. Anyone else have this experience or know why this is true?

You've experienced nothing more than properly aimed side mirrors. Most people aim the side mirrors straight back creating a blind spot. That's what the windshield mirror is for. If you simply move the outside mirrors out you can eliminate blind spots.

It's not the mirrors - it's the aim.

I have almost 11,000 miles on my Milan and can confirm that the dash MPG calculator is typically +1mpg off. It's just an estimate after all. You can help its accuracy by not topping off the tank when you fill up. And fill up the same way every time.

Actually, according to his calculations, it's only off by 0.3 mpg. That's pretty damn good for an estimate. The calculated MPG in my '06 Escape was generally by only 0.2-0.3 as well. I haven't had my '07 Fusion long enough to determine how far it's off.