2008 Ford F-250 6.4L MPG ?

Looking at ordering a 2008 Ford F-250, 4X4 with the 6.4L and 3.73 gears. Do you guys think I can make 15 MPG on a regular basis (empty) ? When pulling a trailer it will only be pulling about 2500 lbs. with varying loads doing P&D in town. Looking to improve my fuel economy over my 2004 Ford F-150, 4X4 with the 5.4L gas. How is the durability so far? I don't need to hear from the guys who hate the world and all of the Fords in it. Just the realists. Thanks!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at the cost of ownership, not the initial cost of the truck. My trucks are rotated on a three to four year schedule. I was thinking a clean low mileage diesel may have a lower cost of ownership over a gas?

you will not recoup $6000 in 4 years .. if you planned on keeping the truck for 10-20 years the diesel will pay for itself many times over .. but hardly in 4 years ... the biggest advantage of the diesel is its longevity beyond 200k miles ..

Igor

... the biggest advantage of the diesel is its longevity beyond 200k miles ..

Igor

No, the biggest advantage is smoking your tires through second gear or having some serious get-up when neccessary :shades:

I don't see you getting 15mpg early on. The only disappointment so far with the 6.4 is the poor mileage over the "older" diesels. I guess it's all the emmissions equipment killing these motors? Some people say wait until 10k miles then you'll really see a change :censored: I'm getting 12.8 mixed driving 50/50. I tried babying the throttle and keeping the boost under 15psi on the last tank and it didn't really help.

Oh yeah, I have the same truck your looking at. F250, 4x4, 3:73, SB,

Edited by Hydro

I think the diesel will have a better trade in than a gas engine (I don't know if it will make $6000 worth of difference).

I have an '08 F250 Crew Cab long bed with a V10 gas engine and I get 12.5 MPG in mixed driving 14.5 MPG highway and the engine was $6000 less than the diesel and is also cheaper and easier to maintain.

But I the only bad thing I have heard about the 6.4L diesel is fuel economy, everything else seems to be great, lots of power etc.

I owned the V10 as well. But I love the DIesel and will never own another V10.

Diesel Power mag just did a comparison on the V10 vs 6.4. The 6.4 put out a full 200lbs more torque at the rear wheels. In every category including the noise decibels the 6.4 beat the V10. It says in the article based on 12000 miles per year you will recoup the cost of the diesel in 3.93 years. And your resale will be higher. It's all in the July issue.

Of course your resale will be higher. You are paying more to buy the truck. And, you say it will take about 4 years to recoup the cost of the diesel option. How many more years on top of that to recoup the cost of a new truck he doesn't really need?

Does he need 200# more torque to pull a 2500# trailer?

Hey, I'm all for him buying a diesel truck because it's a higher priced sale for Ford, hell I'll even give him an X-plan for it, but I just want him to get the facts. I think he'd be disappointed in his experience because it is more truck than it sounds like he needs, and I want him to have a positive experience with his new purchase.

I'm confused here. I thought he was buying an 08 and just wanted some opinions on the diesel vs the gas option. I totally disagree with you on his experience. I think he'll be very pleased with the purchase of a diesel regardless of what he is using it for. Not all people buy diesels to haul a big trailer. Some people buy them cause they like them. And I think he will like it very much. He'll be far from disappointed.

So don't go getting your panties in a bunch over it. Let him go test drive them and he can tell us what he decided.

Edited by HTRDDSL

Using a SD diesel to tow a 2500# trailer is like using armour piercing rounds to go deer hunting. :rolleyes:

I just was asking about the chances of getting 15 MPG with the diesel. What's your problem? You aren't paying for the truck. Thanks to the members who gave me they're MPG experience. I have driven the SD with the diesel and I know that it is more truck than I need (WHAT A TRUCK) . However I am a middle aged guy who can afford to buy some of the stuff I want. I just don't want to spend the money on the diesel and find out that I could get better MPG with a gas. Thanks again!

If you want a diesel, get a diesel.

This argument that he doesnt "need" a deisel is silly

Does anyone "Need" a GT Mustang. The 6 cylinder gets better mileage and has more than enough power to push the car at the speed limit.

If you want to use that type of reasoning as to what vehicle to buy, then I guess we should all be buying the base mode Focus and even it has more motor than it absolutely needs.

Mower Man

We have a pair of SD's, Not the 08's, so dont know if this is helpful or not. We get about the same mileage empty or pulling a light trailer. If we load it down a LOT, and pull a piece of equipment the mileage will take a couple of MPG hit. So pulling a 2500 trailer, I wouldent think would knock your mileage hardly at all.

Despite what some posters think, the deisel is a more desireable overall package and will get you more when you trade/sell it, because of the diesel not just because it cost more initially. But this could also be a regional thing. If you are in farm, horse country. The diesels will always sell faster and bring more money. If you live in a city, it might not be true. If this is important to you, check your locak truck trader for comparable vehicles (Gas or Diesel) and see what the asking proice difference is.

Whether or not you get the whole 6K back or not will depend on how long you keep it. But even then you have to offset the fuel savings.

If you drive a lot of miles it will really pay off because people who buy diesels know a Power Stroke with 100 K miles is not considered High Mileage. Whereas a gas engine with 100 K is going to take a big hit.

Mower Man

We have a pair of SD's, Not the 08's, so dont know if this is helpful or not. We get about the same mileage empty or pulling a light trailer. If we load it down a LOT, and pull a piece of equipment the mileage will take a couple of MPG hit. So pulling a 2500 trailer, I wouldent think would knock your mileage hardly at all.

Despite what some posters think, the deisel is a more desireable overall package and will get you more when you trade/sell it, because of the diesel not just because it cost more initially. But this could also be a regional thing. If you are in farm, horse country. The diesels will always sell faster and bring more money. If you live in a city, it might not be true. If this is important to you, check your locak truck trader for comparable vehicles (Gas or Diesel) and see what the asking proice difference is.

Whether or not you get the whole 6K back or not will depend on how long you keep it. But even then you have to offset the fuel savings.

If you drive a lot of miles it will really pay off because people who buy diesels know a Power Stroke with 100 K miles is not considered High Mileage. Whereas a gas engine with 100 K is going to take a big hit.

Thanks for the truck trader idea. I did check Kelley Blue Book and that looked favorable to the diesel. I appreciate your input.

Thanks

...and the fact that any engine work that comes up requires that the entire cab be removed from the truck in order to access the engine.

WRONG!

To fix the injectors they do NOT need to remove the cab. There is also a Rocker arm problem slowly arising (sp?) on #5 cylinder. So far 12 trucks have been affected, oh to replace the rockers the cab does not need removed either.

Edited by Hydro

There's an article in the July issue of Diesel World mag. They towed a 7000lb boat trailer for over 1500 miles. From sea level to over 8000 ft. They state the mileage was 13.8 mpg with the boat in tow.

Maybe the article was supposed to read... They towed the trailer from 8,000ft to sea level in order to achieve that mileage :redcard::hysterical:

ok this is sort of off topic but, if anybody here has had an 03- or 04+ F-150 and now has the 08 SD with 6.4L, is it faster off the line and on the road?

I had a 2003 Supercrew, 5.4L, 2wd. It's really tough to say. The f-150 weighed in 5040lbs and the F-250 clocked in at 8240 on the truck scales at work. So right off the bat the trucks feel WAY different. My f-150 was lowered with a sport suspension, 20" wheels on low profiles, & a full exhaust. That truck handled like a glove and would hang with the Hemi's and Titans from stoplight digs. The SD feels pretty quick for what it is = a Big ass truck. It's a 4x4 with stock suspension etc.. The two have way different feel, if I had to guess I'd say the superduty won't be as quick off the line but 3-4th gear would be close as well as freeway runs.

Edited by Hydro

Looking at ordering a 2008 Ford F-250, 4X4 with the 6.4L and 3.73 gears. Do you guys think I can make 15 MPG on a regular basis (empty) ? When pulling a trailer it will only be pulling about 2500 lbs. with varying loads doing P&D in town. Looking to improve my fuel economy over my 2004 Ford F-150, 4X4 with the 5.4L gas. How is the durability so far? I don't need to hear from the guys who hate the world and all of the Fords in it. Just the realists. Thanks!!

To get to the 15mpg it will depend on your driving habits. If most of your miles are on the highway empty and you run the posted speeds and don't go above 65mph, then yes with 3.73 you should hit that 15mpg or better. If your going to tow a 2500lbs trailer getting the 6.4 is a over kill.

In my line of work I pull trailers from 12000 to 23000lbs and the 6.4 is needed. But if you just what the 6.4 (just because) then get it, but the 5.4 F150 would be more then ok with your load and you should be able to get to 15mpg on it.(empty)

I have 4 friend that have bought the 6.4 and they all have loved it, one has 25000miles on it and have had NO problems.

I would really go with the F150 on you application.

Good Luck.

I had a 2003 Supercrew, 5.4L, 2wd. It's really tough to say. The f-150 weighed in 5040lbs and the F-250 clocked in at 8240 on the truck scales at work. So right off the bat the trucks feel WAY different. My f-150 was lowered with a sport suspension, 20" wheels on low profiles, & a full exhaust. That truck handled like a glove and would hang with the Hemi's and Titans from stoplight digs. The SD feels pretty quick for what it is = a Big ass truck. It's a 4x4 with stock suspension etc.. The two have way different feel, if I had to guess I'd say the superduty won't be as quick off the line but 3-4th gear would be close as well as freeway runs.

well actually i think they 03- models were faster than the 04+ even though they had less power, i have floored it in my truck(in my sig) and then floored it in my dad's 07 F-150 supercrew 5.4L 2wd and mine felt faster, but his is the 6.5ft bed so that adds a little weight and it is kinda new

but then again i looked at thedieselstop.com and they said there are all ready tuners that give it like 40 more horses and 90 more tq with just a tuner......damn im sure after that it would be faster

Edited by Ford-150

I have an '08 F250 Crew Cab long bed with a V10 gas engine and I get 12.5 MPG in mixed driving 14.5 MPG highway and the engine was $6000 less than the diesel and is also cheaper and easier to maintain.

I completely agree and went with the V-10 myself.

If someone is concerned about the mpg in a Superduty, then they are looking at the wrong vehicle- simple as that.

-Chris H

I completely agree and went with the V-10 myself.

If someone is concerned about the mpg in a Superduty, then they are looking at the wrong vehicle- simple as that.

-Chris H

It's not that we or "I" bought the f-250 for it's Prius like mileage. I was just kinda bummed it's only getting low 12's some folks are getting single digits. Your talking Big Rig mileage there :redcard: . I was hoping for at least the mileage the 6.0 was getting (15-16). My Dad's 6.0 and a few buddies with the LBZ Duramax can get over 400 miles out of a tank. I'd be shitting in tall cotton if I got 300 out of my tank, mixed driving of course. I'm currently at 242 miles and just below a 1/4 tank left.

On a side note, the LMM Duramax (one that regens) is also bumming GM fans because of it's decrease also. Although not as drastic as the Fords they are seeing 13's and 14 mpg. It looks like regens are the major culprit and emmisions equipment contributing the rest :finger:

I think that some of you are missing the point of my question. Do I need a SD to pull my trailer, heck no. I am trying to get better fuel mileage than my F-150 with the 5.4L gas. I am trying to lower by cost of ownership by having a truck with better resale and better MPG. The Dodge boys are talking an easy 15 MPG with the Cummins, but I really don't want a Dodge. The Duramax owners don't think I can do it on P&D application. I was mainly trying to ask 6.4L diesel owners if they were getting the 15 MPG. It doesn't seem like the 6.4L diesel can do it. Thanks to the guys who tried to help.