minivans going away?

ludakris04

I heard a rumor that Ford will stop producing Mini-vans.. (Freestar/ Monterey I assume)

is there any truth to this?

I have heard the same rumor ,we have over 200 days of inventory on the lots ,and cant even give them away its a shame !!!!!! Best quality vehicles we have built in a long time !!!!!!!!!! It would make sence to Quietly stop making them but not till we are closer to building its replacement !!!!!

I have too...talked to an undisclosed source the other day who said he heard of this...possibly around 2008. Its too bad...they are nice vans that were the subject of little or no advertising and lack of difference from the Windstar. The engines are a joke too. At the recent car show in Harrisburg I saw not one person even acknowledge this or its mercury twin (and they were loaded up versions with actual chrome rims (unlike in the $42,000 Explorer). Oh well...our next van is going to be a Ford conversion van anyway...sis is getting to big to fit in the Windstar/Freestar anymore.

I have too...talked to an undisclosed source the other day who said he heard of this...possibly around 2008. Its too bad...they are nice vans that were the subject of little or no advertising and lack of difference from the Windstar. The engines are a joke too. At the recent car show in Harrisburg I saw not one person even acknowledge this or its mercury twin (and they were loaded up versions with actual chrome rims (unlike in the $42,000 Explorer). Oh well...our next van is going to be a Ford conversion van anyway...sis is getting to big to fit in the Windstar/Freestar anymore.

I heard from a foreman that they want to stop building Aug/sept 2006, and then start retooling for the new Fairlane.

• 2 weeks later...

That would seem right... I suspect there will be a 6-9 month layoff between the Freestar ending and the startup of the Fairlane. The minivans aren't going away, they are going to be replaced by what Ford is called a "people-mover". But it will be van in function if not name... Here's a phtoshop of what's expected:

fairlaneminicopy4kq.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We have a 2005 Freestar bought in October when 2006 were coming out. Great minivan, nice to have large fuel tank with decent mileage. We made it from Raleigh to Orlando on a tank of gas (barely). We had a Taurus Wagon before, and it is easier to get around inside and hual extra peole in the 3rd row (not sitting backwards). I don't understand the Fairlane and it would seem to compete with the FreeStyle.