I wish for...a Ford version of the Baja

electricgreen

No, not the Sport Trac. It's too big, and isn't versitile like the Baja. I want a car/truck with good gas mileage and a midgate. I can bring home drywall, 2x4's, a garden full of plants-and my 80 year old grandmother can get in and out easily. It makes mild off road trails look like a paved highway, laughs at snow, and is comfortable enough to drive all day. If Subie would have stuck with advertising the Baja, they'd sell like hotcakes. I've been asked so many times what it is and how much it was I can't even begain to try to count. I even helped a subie dealer's rep sell one at a car show!! It corners like a 'roo too (that rally heritage). I hate that I had to go to Subaru for my DD, but Ford wasn't offering anything remotely similar. I traded in my 93 Bronco with 256,000 miles on it, and would really have preferred to trade our Ford for another Ford.....

Baja for those that have never seen one:

http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?u...=1&showimage=66

http://www.gotstang.com/photodisplay.php?u...=1&showimage=72

The only way the Baja would sell like hotcakes is if it cost $500. They are flat out ugly and generally have no market in the U.S. I can't see a Ford version fairing any better.

It's a matter of opinion I guess, but I know of several people who bought one after seeing ours and speaking to us about it. That said, it is distinctly Subaru, with the (old) Outback nose. I have seen a photoshop of one based onthe new Legacy and it was even better looking. Now, it doesn't mean the Ford version would have to look remotely similar to the scooby. I see quite a few Ridgelines driving around, and I think they are quite fugly. However, they are a good mix of car & truck, with utility (although I'm sure it can't tow much) and they have had a lot of ad push behind them. I'm not looking for a Ford copy of it (I still think the HHR looks like a bad rip off of the PT). Add a midgate to the Sport track, lower the price and make it AWD and we're getting somewhere. The pull on AWD is quite amazing, so the 4CYL doesn't feel as underpowered as you might think.

The Subie franchise down the road from me (before they moved) had the same yellow Baja parked out front for 9 months. It isn't exactly selling well. Last I heard, Subaru was cancelling it, not redesigning it.

Ridgeline sales aren't exactly spectacular either, and that's a HONDA -- the can-do-no-wrong automaker in many people's eyes.

The Subie franchise down the road from me (before they moved) had the same yellow Baja parked out front for 9 months. It isn't exactly selling well. Last I heard, Subaru was cancelling it, not redesigning it.

Ridgeline sales aren't exactly spectacular either, and that's a HONDA -- the can-do-no-wrong automaker in many people's eyes.

Yeah, either 06 or 07 will be the last year. But, when was the last time you saw a commercial for a Baja? When we went to Subie to look, we practically had to argue with them to show us a Baja-it's like they want to kill it off.

It's a matter of opinion I guess,

yes, and public opinion is that the vehicle was unwanted. A handful of fans can't keep a vehicle in production. Just ask any Aztek owner how they feel. Most are quite rabib about the trucks. But a few thousands buyers doesn't cut it.

yes, and public opinion is that the vehicle was unwanted. A handful of fans can't keep a vehicle in production. Just ask any Aztek owner how they feel. Most are quite rabib about the trucks. But a few thousands buyers doesn't cut it.

I wonder if it's a looks thing for the Baja though. It's really a love it or hate it look, I think they should have given it it's own design so fewer people would see it as an Outback with the rear roof chopped off. Look at all the Avalanches-it's just a full sized varient of the Baja. That looks uniquely GM (And IMO, fugly). Give a uniquely Ford looking small varient to the public, I think it would sell. I think there are really three things that killed the Baja-looks, lack of corporate support, and the STX concept had a supercharged motor while the first production vehicles had a n/a 4cyl ("underpowered"). Most people don't even know what a Baja is-we were even asked what the name of it was when we took it for an inspection-"now this is a Subaru...uuhhh...". It would have a lot of support in the older generation, I can tell you that. I can recall two recent conversations-one from two women in her 50's asking me about it for their dad-apparently he always had a truck and liked to bring home gardening supplies,etc-but was having a hard time gettingin and out of the higher up vehicles-and another with a retired ex-farmer (farm went to the kids) who told me she had always had a truck, always wanted a truck, but just couldn't justify a full size and hated how small inside the minis felt (plus the "jump seats" weren't ideal for the grandkids). Let's face it, gas prices arent going down, but there are some things that you just need a truck for-this would be a great combo. Oh well, I'll prolly have to buy another subie when my Baja's time comes, since Ford won't likely be making a decent awd car or a nice small 4x4 truck (I've got a 91 Ranger, but I'm not a big fan of the new ones-holy uncomfortable seats!). Maybe Jeep will make that scramber type concept....

Oh well, I'll prolly have to buy another subie when my Baja's time comes, since Ford won't likely be making a decent awd car or a nice small 4x4 truck (I've got a 91 Ranger, but I'm not a big fan of the new ones-holy uncomfortable seats!). Maybe Jeep will make that scramber type concept....

Colorado

Tacoma

Frontier

are all small 4 dr trucks that will do everything the Baja does.

Colorado

Tacoma

Frontier

Nope

nope

nope

None have a midgate. None are AWD. I'd be willing to bet they get worse gas mileage and the colorodo is so fugly it needs to be shot in a field somewhere. I can't speak for the last two, but I know the first can't touch the Baja in interior quality and comfort. I'd also be willing to bet they corner like a truck too. Part of the greatness of the Baja is it is built on a car chassis-usually not a good thing, and I don't think I'd want a truck built on a fusion chassis, but that's a subie strong point...It reacts more like a car than a truck, but can still hold a decent payload.

Nope

nope

nope

None have a midgate. None are AWD. I'd be willing to bet they get worse gas mileage and the colorodo is so fugly it needs to be shot in a field somewhere. I can't speak for the last two, but I know the first can't touch the Baja in interior quality and comfort. I'd also be willing to bet they corner like a truck too. Part of the greatness of the Baja is it is built on a car chassis-usually not a good thing, and I don't think I'd want a truck built on a fusion chassis, but that's a subie strong point...It reacts more like a car than a truck, but can still hold a decent payload.

midgate? you're kidding right? The Baja doesnt have a midgate. It has a small hole. Those pickups listed are in fact available with 4wd. If you need AWD that badly, perhaps you also need lessons in how to drive in rain and snow.

As far as needing a car-like ride... well I hate you. Yes I said it. Soccer moms like you have dumbed down trucks so that the rest of us that do like trucks cant drive them because the market is now flooded with these candy-ass car based utilities.

midgate? you're kidding right? The Baja doesnt have a midgate. It has a small hole. Those pickups listed are in fact available with 4wd. If you need AWD that badly, perhaps you also need lessons in how to drive in rain and snow.

As far as needing a car-like ride... well I hate you. Yes I said it. Soccer moms like you have dumbed down trucks so that the rest of us that do like trucks cant drive them because the market is now flooded with these candy-ass car based utilities.

I can fit a 2x4 in with the tail gate closed. Yes a midgate. I don't NEED awd, but I don't need to shovel either. Why slip and slid when you don't have to.

Soccer moms like me?! Uh, not a mom, certainly not a soccer mom...And that's exactly wht they need to build a Baja like vehicle. That leaves the trucks for those that need a truck-how many people would not buy a true truck if they knew this was an option. Give them what they want, and be able to make a real truck again. This is the answer-it satisfies all the things the casual pickup buyer wants without compromising the trucks already being made. And, there is no REAL suv anymore-come on, they call the FORESTER an suv! The last real suv was the Bronco, imo. I didn't say it had a car like ride, I said it reacted more like a car. It isn't tippy in corners and has great pickup-like a car. I can't say as it rides much different than my Ranger. And it takes a dirt road better then our old 93 Bronco because it doesn't bounce as bad. Hate all you want but you need to work on your comprehension....

Colorado

Tacoma

Frontier

Except get decent gas mileage. With my 4x4 Frontier crew cab I get around 14-15 in city driving. While the Baja is rated for 21/27 for the base engine. I'd kill to get 27 hwy in my truck...

• 2 weeks later...
Except get decent gas mileage. With my 4x4 Frontier crew cab I get around 14-15 in city driving. While the Baja is rated for 21/27 for the base engine. I'd kill to get 27 hwy in my truck...

:blink: Wow, that is pretty bad mileage (no offense, I'm just surprised). That's what we got with our Bronco!! Our best mileage so far with the Baja was 31 mpg hwy on a trip to the Adirondacks. We averaged 30mpg highway to Florida last year, and usually @ 22 around town...It was funny, we drove 6 hours to get it (smokin deal)-we traded the ole Bronc in on it-one tank there (32 on E when we got there), one tank home (15 gal). I think people would want these if they knew about them. I can't tell the last time I saw an ad for one, and we actually almost had to argue with the salesman to show us one at the subie dealer. It's like they want to kill it off. I really think that casual truck buyers would go for these, since it has a bed, can carry a decent payload, has decent ground clearence, can haul kids and stuff, gets good gas mileage and we even pay lower insurance, because no one can figure out if it's a truck or car, lol.

Oh well, it's moot point anyway, since I know Ford would never build somethign similar. Too busy snoozin :boring: -look at the jump GM just got on them in advertising the ethenol based vehicles! Not that Ford doesn't make them, and I believe is actually working with a manufacturer of it to make it more available...but now everyone that is a casual observer (99% of consumers) will think GM is the only maker of them, or at the very least that they are the real leaders in that segment.

:blink: Wow, that is pretty bad mileage (no offense, I'm just surprised). That's what we got with our Bronco!! Our best mileage so far with the Baja was 31 mpg hwy on a trip to the Adirondacks. We averaged 30mpg highway to Florida last year, and usually @ 22 around town...It was funny, we drove 6 hours to get it (smokin deal)-we traded the ole Bronc in on it-one tank there (32 on E when we got there), one tank home (15 gal). I think people would want these if they knew about them. I can't tell the last time I saw an ad for one, and we actually almost had to argue with the salesman to show us one at the subie dealer. It's like they want to kill it off. I really think that casual truck buyers would go for these, since it has a bed, can carry a decent payload, has decent ground clearence, can haul kids and stuff, gets good gas mileage and we even pay lower insurance, because no one can figure out if it's a truck or car, lol.

Oh well, it's moot point anyway, since I know Ford would never build somethign similar. Too busy snoozin :boring: -look at the jump GM just got on them in advertising the ethenol based vehicles! Not that Ford doesn't make them, and I believe is actually working with a manufacturer of it to make it more available...but now everyone that is a casual observer (99% of consumers) will think GM is the only maker of them, or at the very least that they are the real leaders in that segment.

Sadly, its still 2mpg better in the city than my old '94 Ranger 4x4 was. haha

I liked the Baja, but the bed just wasn't big enough for me. The Frontier crew cab was just barely big enough for my needs. If it wasn't for that, I probably would have picked one up. Great bang for buck utility vehicle. B)

• 2 months later...