Consumer Reports Midsize Sedan Test Results

NickF1011

Consumer Reports has tested the latest batch of new mid-size sedans on the market and here was their conclusion:

1. VW Passat

2. Ford Fusion/ Mercury Milan

3. Hyundai Sonata

4. Chevrolet Impala

5. Dodge Charger

The test only included new-for-'06 models, but still looks good for the CD3 twins.

Don't have a subscription so I can't post any of the details.

There has to be some high-irony to the fact that they ranked the least reliable, most expensive entrant in the field #1. :D Toyota must've missed a goodwill payment. :P

Consumer Reports has tested the latest batch of new mid-size sedans on the market and here was their conclusion:

1. VW Passat

2. Ford Fusion/ Mercury Milan

3. Hyundai Sonata

4. Chevrolet Impala

5. Dodge Charger

The test only included new-for-'06 models, but still looks good for the CD3 twins.

Don't have a subscription so I can't post any of the details.

There has to be some high-irony to the fact that they ranked the least reliable, most expensive entrant in the field #1. :D Toyota must've missed a goodwill payment. :P

I don't think Toyota or Honda were included in this comparison. Only vehicles that are all new for '06.....

That is my big beef with CU. You have their very useful (if you're buying used) vehicle reliability tables, then you have their bogus "predicted reliability" sections, and their vehicle tests. Neither of which are of any use, as they are little more than rationalized opinion.

The Passat, for some reason, must be expected to have better reliability than the rest of these vehicles :as if:

I have to say that one of the more surprising discoveries at my visit to the Autoshow was just how uncomfortable I found the Passat's interior. From the hard seats to the poor layout and armrests, the thing was very unpleasent. It looks like a exceptional car for its class, but just sitting in it turns me off. The Cobalt takes the cake for the worst seats, but I digress ;)

The Car rags give the new Passat a hard time for being less refined than the previous model so I'm not sure what to think.

That is my big beef with CU. You have their very useful (if you're buying used) vehicle reliability tables, then you have their bogus "predicted reliability" sections, and their vehicle tests. Neither of which are of any use, as they are little more than rationalized opinion.

The Passat, for some reason, must be expected to have better reliability than the rest of these vehicles :as if:

Not necessarily. There are two components to Consumer Reports ratings - reliability and the results on the test track.

For a car to earn a "recommended" rating from Consumer Reports, it must earn at least an "average" rating in reliability. So it is plausible that a car with an "average" rating in reliability could redeem itself on the test track, and thus score higher overall than a car with a "better than average" reliability rating.

Certain models of the Passat have, in fact, earned an "average" rating in Consumer Reports surveys.

Edited by grbeck

Passat? At 38k for a nice one, no one is going to buy it. Not to mention durability-or lack of it....

Passat is for greenies, who still think of VW as 'anti-establishment'. When in reality they are as profit driven as the rest.

I thought it was quite ironic in the 60's that the peace loving hippies embraced a car company created by Hitler.