Tire options on the F-150

fordtion

Anyone out there driving a newer F-150 with OEM 20" tires? Any comments as to pros or cons on this particular tire size, such as ride, tire wear etc?? Looking at the options it looks like the 20" rims might look some what better, but really none, including the 18"s have that much in the looks department. Also, looking at a F-150 4X4, some off roading,but nothing more than running in beach sand to go fishing.

Anyone out there driving a newer F-150 with OEM 20" tires? Any comments as to pros or cons on this particular tire size, such as ride, tire wear etc?? Looking at the options it looks like the 20" rims might look some what better, but really none, including the 18"s have that much in the looks department. Also, looking at a F-150 4X4, some off roading,but nothing more than running in beach sand to go fishing.

I personally would stick to the 18" rubber and go with the LT 275/65R18's (Goodyear Wrangler AT/S) the 20's may look cool but you'll crap when you go to replace them and also make sure you go with a 3.73 limited slip axle. You should be pleased with the results. The 3.55 gears make that truck into a weak turd with poorer gas milage.

hope any of this helps!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this isn't exactly what you were asking about but I have to throw this in.

I have been looking around for a truck and saw a nice F-150 at the local dealer. When I was giving it the once over I could not believe that it came from the factory with some off brand tires called Hankook..

With the tremendous pressure that has been put on the domestic car companies by foreign competion and then to have them install a foreign brand tire as original equipment is hard to believe..

I like the truck but before I signed any papers those tires would have to go replaced with some Goodyears

"I personally would stick to the 18" rubber and go with the LT 275/65R18's (Goodyear Wrangler AT/S) the 20's may look cool but you'll crap when you go to replace them and also make sure you go with a 3.73 limited slip axle. You should be pleased with the results. The 3.55 gears make that truck into a weak turd with poorer gas mileage."

Another thing to consider is that the 20" rims are only 7.5" wide...not a problem if you have 2-wheel drive, but if you have 4X4 and intend to mount wide, off-road tires; these wheels won't be worth the extra cost you paid for them. Now if they were 20" X 9.5", that would be another case.

Edited by Going_Going_Gone

• 4 weeks later...
With the tremendous pressure that has been put on the domestic car companies by foreign competion and then to have them install a foreign brand tire as original equipment is hard to believe..

I like the truck but before I signed any papers those tires would have to go replaced with some Goodyears

:stirpot: I agree completely!!! My SuperDuty came with Pirelli tires. Not only that, they are street tires on a 4X4!!! Horrible in the snow!!! I am getting ready to replace them, and decided that I am buying from an American Company. Looking, I found that you have to look at private Labels closely. My wife and I really liked some Widetrack Baja AT tires that were on our old Superduty. I found them new and discovered they were private label Bridgestone. Sorry, not supporting the Japanese this time.

I am going to be purchasing some Cooper Discoverer AT tires. Time to support an American company this time around. :hyper:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of 20's on my KR F150. They are very good in rain & snow. Replacement cost is about $123 per recent Tire Rack ad in Car & Driver. The only issue is slight flat spotting from overnight parking, this runs out in about 5-6 miles. Not a big deal...

Also, while the Goodyear LT275 look more aggressive, they are no better in the snow (have done the A/B testing).