Another Brand for Ford...

zurno

I wonder if Ford could have its cake and eat it too? Could a car company possibly benefit from a brand that does almost all of the fleet sales for the company? Have it be reskinned generic versions of the main brand's cars? Possibly the second best styling that didn't quite make the cut?

Do you think this would work as something to keep fleet sales, but not screw up residual value of your branded cars? The comany could still see the benefit then of extra mass production of the common parts.

Thoughts anyone?

I wonder if Ford could have its cake and eat it too? Could a car company possibly benefit from a brand that does almost all of the fleet sales for the company? Have it be reskinned generic versions of the main brand's cars? Possibly the second best styling that didn't quite make the cut?

Do you think this would work as something to keep fleet sales, but not screw up residual value of your branded cars? The comany could still see the benefit then of extra mass production of the common parts.

Thoughts anyone?

If it would require new dealerships, I'd say it wouldn't work.

If this new fleet marquee could be sold from within existing Ford dealerships, as is Scion

in the Toyota dealerships, and not in a stand alone dealerships... I'd say it's an idea worth

investigation.

Name? Constance, Endurance, Reliance Motors?

I think it could just be sold however they currently handle fleet sales. I know one dealer in the twin cities (Tousley) has a specific fleet sales dealership a ways away from the main dealership.

I think any decent name would work. I think they would need to come off not as trying to be a scion, but to be the Ford that isn't a Ford. Those suggested names could work. Another thought was to leave it unbranded or atleast unbadged. Maybe have on the title Ford (one of those names placed here). Unbadged would keep the public guessing as to what it was, which wouldn't matter since they aren't retail items anyways.

The unbadged thing probably wouldn't be that good of an idea though.

Nick

• 5 months later...

If this new fleet marquee could be sold from within existing Ford dealerships, as is Scion

in the Toyota dealerships, and not in a stand alone dealerships... I'd say it's an idea worth

investigation.

Name....simply FLEET

Ford Fleet.

investigation.

You wouldn't need to have new dealearships, just sell and operate like the current Ford Fleet system works, just w/ differently branded vehicles.

I think it could just be sold however they currently handle fleet sales. I know one dealer in the twin cities (Tousley) has a specific fleet sales dealership a ways away from the main dealership.

I think any decent name would work. I think they would need to come off not as trying to be a scion, but to be the Ford that isn't a Ford. Those suggested names could work. Another thought was to leave it unbranded or atleast unbadged. Maybe have on the title Ford (one of those names placed here). Unbadged would keep the public guessing as to what it was, which wouldn't matter since they aren't retail items anyways.

The unbadged thing probably wouldn't be that good of an idea though.

Nick

Well if Ford fails to advertise the retail version (like Five Hundred/Taurus and Freestyle/Taurus X) then you would keep the public guessing as to what vehicle it's unbadged fleet counterpart is, otherwise, I think the buying public would be able to tell what the vehicle is.

You wouldn't need to have new dealearships, just sell and operate like the current Ford Fleet system works, just w/ differently branded vehicles.

That's what I was thinking. Should the different brand come in 3 flavors?

Luxury (airport limo)

Standard (municipal/ rental (most easiest for potential buyers to recognize))

Utility (taxi/ police)

For a name, how about Vista?

Edited by joihan777

Luxury (airport limo)

Utility (taxi/ police)

I am sure Microsoft may have issue with that....as for dealerships.....you don't need them but for repairs and most fleets have their own service departments, they could be certified to do warranty service if the need arises, or just send it to the Ford dealer (or Tommy....lol :hysterical: ) I have said all along that Ford should take the Crown Victoria name off the full size sedan now that it is Fleet only and rename it the LTD and if the new Taurus is adding to fleet sales.....name the fleet version something other than Taurus. Maybe 500, not spelled out "Five Hundred". (of course, that would REALLY confuse the general public.) This way, the cost would be minimal to do, just some re-badging on the flanks and interior and viola.....new model designed for fleet. While they are at it, the "utility" version could very well host a hybrid or some other type of technology without damaging the reputation of the nameplate.

I don't think they need to come up with a new name, just give the fleet sales it's own names so places like AutoNation and Fuccillo isn't constantly dumping names we know into the retail market thereby destroying any value of the name that consumers stepped up to and bought new at the dealership. Buying an LTD or 500 from AN or Fuccillo would tell all that you saved alot of money and probably use GEICO too....

Luxury (airport limo)

Utility (taxi/ police)

You could do that, the "luxury" version could be a Lincoln, while the "standard" could be Ford/Mercury, w/ the "utility" being Fords, even they might not be named "Ford", "Lincoln", or "Mercury" products.

As twintornadoes said, I'm not sure Microsoft would like that. Also, Ford also uses that name elsewhere: the Vista roof, aka the BAMR.

I am sure Microsoft may have issue with that....as for dealerships.....you don't need them but for repairs and most fleets have their own service departments, they could be certified to do warranty service if the need arises, or just send it to the Ford dealer (or Tommy....lol :hysterical: ) I have said all along that Ford should take the Crown Victoria name off the full size sedan now that it is Fleet only and rename it the LTD and if the new Taurus is adding to fleet sales.....name the fleet version something other than Taurus. Maybe 500, not spelled out "Five Hundred". (of course, that would REALLY confuse the general public.) This way, the cost would be minimal to do, just some re-badging on the flanks and interior and viola.....new model designed for fleet. While they are at it, the "utility" version could very well host a hybrid or some other type of technology without damaging the reputation of the nameplate.

I don't think they need to come up with a new name, just give the fleet sales it's own names so places like AutoNation and Fuccillo isn't constantly dumping names we know into the retail market thereby destroying any value of the name that consumers stepped up to and bought new at the dealership. Buying an LTD or 500 from AN or Fuccillo would tell all that you saved alot of money and probably use GEICO too....

Pretty good ideas there. I don't think MS would care about the Vista name as they are not competing products however as the other post mentioned Vista already appears in Ford with the large sunroofs.

Therefore simply renaming Lincoln/Fords specially for fleet purposes would be a rather cost effective method of *just slightly* differentiating the products from retail models yet giving those in the know a good place to go for used values.

Guy gets in a taxi, looks around and appreciated the quality & spaciousness. Looks at the cabdriver, "Excuse me, what kind of car is this? " Cabbie responds, "500, it's the taxi version of the Ford Taurus." Wow, the guy thinks, solid enough for taxi use yet won't depreciate as fast.... nice.

You could do that, the "luxury" version could be a Lincoln, while the "standard" could be Ford/Mercury, w/ the "utility" being Fords, even they might not be named "Ford", "Lincoln", or "Mercury" products.

As twintornadoes said, I'm not sure Microsoft would like that. Also, Ford also uses that name elsewhere: the Vista roof, aka the BAMR.

RMC,

I am not so sure that Lincoln needs to be in the "fleet line" mix....my thinking is, Ford can handle "Utility" and "Standard"...Mercury would be "Luxury" for the fleet line, and Lincoln would move higher (reach higher...?) in the lineup.

Good line of thought though and lets hope that FoMoCo really does read these blogs....

Edited by twintornados

RMC,

I am not so sure that Lincoln needs to be in the "fleet line" mix....my thinking is, Ford can handle "Utility" and "Standard"...Mercury would be "Luxury" for the fleet line, and Lincoln would move higher (reach higher...?) in the lineup.

Good line of thought though and lets hope that FoMoCo really does read these blogs....

I agree with you that Lincoln shouldn't be there either. I said that only because on the Ford Fleet website, there are a few Lincoln vehicles (I know MKX is on there for sure).

Back in the day fleet vehicles were usually just base models of a car model line. For instance the old full-sized Fords had a Custom 500, Galaxie and LTD. Each model had different grilles, lights and trim.

Ford's too cheap to do this, but I'd like to see such differentiation more often.

The Five Hundred had such differentiation between the SE, SEL and Limited (chrome grill versus black). I can see this working favorably, can't you?

Ford's too cheap to do this, but I'd like to see such differentiation more often.

The Five Hundred had such differentiation between the SE, SEL and Limited (chrome grill versus black). I can see this working favorably, can't you?

It possibly could, giving people a reason to upgrade to the higher model, but at the same time, it could make people not want the vehicle at all if they can't afford a higher model.