Mercury Capri

rmc523

Heres the new Mercury Capri (not sure about the name) to be sold in NA. It would give the Mercury brand a halo car until the return of the Cougar (see my other 'Mercury Cougar' post) and would bring in sales from people considering other similar convertibles (ragtop and hardtop), such as Sebring (yuck!) and G6.

Based off the European Focus Cabriolet

Thoughts?

post-28332-1187246822_thumb.jpg

post-28332-1187246880_thumb.jpg

Edited by rmc523

Heres the new Mercury Capri (not sure about the name) to be sold in NA. It would give the Mercury brand a halo car until the return of the Cougar (see my other 'Mercury Cougar' post) and would bring in sales from people considering other similar convertibles (ragtop and hardtop), such as Sebring (yuck!) and G6.

Thoughts?

If you had a spot the difference competition there is very little difference except front valence, grill & aerial why not just call it the Ford Focus C.C. or the Mercury Focus CC, maybe not Focus CC name due the massive problems they having with it in the UK at the moment. It might tarnish the Mercury brand name. It should be a big hit once Ford get the problems sorted though.

I would rather have seen Ford do the Thunderbird convertible again on a Focus platform, that would have been a massive hit for Ford if they got it right. Bring back the Thunderbird Ford its a sin for it to be omitted from a Ford line-up its the king.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

If you had a spot the difference competition there is very little difference except front valence, grill & aerial why not just call it the Ford Focus C.C. or the Mercury Focus CC, maybe not Focus CC name due the massive problems they having with it in the UK at the moment. It might tarnish the Mercury brand name. It should be a big hit once Ford get the problems sorted though.

I would rather have seen Ford do the Thunderbird convertible again on a Focus platform, that would have been a massive hit for Ford if they got it right. Bring back the Thunderbird Ford its a sin for it to be omitted from a Ford line-up its the king.

Having owned a 92, 93, and 94 Capri, I wouldn't mind another one. The picture looks cute, too.

It should have already been a done deal... I agree Capri is a good name to use in the US market for such a cabrio. Mercury has nothing special right now to attract it to the brand and they either need to revitalize Mercury or kill it. I prefer they revitalize Mercury including a plan to bring back a Cougar model.

No no no no no... Never a Focus based Tbird...

No no no no no... Never a Focus based Tbird...

Maybe an Mazda MX5 based Thunderbird, l love the MX5 it's a modern classic thats rare in Europe these days, the only problem it has not got a Blue Oval badge on the grill. Thunderbird on an MX5 platform would be awesome, and huge sale winner for Ford just like the Mustang is at the moment. Capri is a good name for Mercury they sold 500,000 of the re-badged European Mk1 Capri's back in the early 70s. Mercury sold 180,000 vehicles last year so it would help them with sales, l think it will be a winner for Mercury.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

If you had a spot the difference competition there is very little difference except front valence, grill & aerial why not just call it the Ford Focus C.C. or the Mercury Focus CC, maybe not Focus CC name due the massive problems they having with it in the UK at the moment. It might tarnish the Mercury brand name.

We dont have the current European 'Ford' Focus, so it wouldnt fit with 'our' Focus. I thought about Mercury Focus, but I'm not sure the Focus name would work with Mercury well(?) People think Ford when they think Focus, in this case, you'd want them to think Mercury.

I didnt change much because the car already looked very Mercury to me. The headlights had that 'up into the hood' look that all Mercurys share, and there's nothing that looks like it in the current Ford lineup.

These ideas for bringing over Euro Fords as Mercurys would only be short-term though, b/c of Mulally's 'One Ford' thing (or whatever he calls it). All the European/NA products will become one, not a NA Fusion and Euro Mondeo. Mercury would eventually need something completely different to have its own individual product line after the globalization of Fords.

Edited by rmc523

Looks cool.. But too much of a re-badge. I would like to see the Focus ST and Cabrio imported into America, sold under the Mercury brand alone. Then have the estate, coupe, sedan and hatchbacks sold under Ford.

I owned a '73 and '76 Capri which then were called "German Mustangs." They were nice cars with the V6 and also came with 4 banger. Both of mine were 4 speed manuals. They were available through Mercury dealesr and were decent sellers and had good quality. My '73 was a coupe and my '76 was hatchback and Ford really changed the looks as it got a little bigger. Mercury could use a smaller vehicle and Capri name brings back good vibes if you are talking about 70's Capris, but the two seater Capri from Australia IMO brings back bad memories. I hated that car the first time I saw it at auto show and knew it would bomb. Mercury needs a high volume quality small car with seating for 4 or 5 with good gas mileage. An upscale Focus type vehicle would be nice that Mercury could sell in 50-75,000 sales volume area.

Looks cool.. But too much of a re-badge. I would like to see the Focus ST and Cabrio imported into America, sold under the Mercury brand alone. Then have the estate, coupe, sedan and hatchbacks sold under Ford.

But it wouldn't be a rebadge for North Americans (even though it would be for Europeans - who wouldnt get it anyway) b/c we dont have the Focus CC here. It WOULD be only a Mercury here and NOT sold as a Ford.

There obviously is a market for this type of car, look at the G6 hardtop convertible, and even Sebring convertible, I see quite a few of each around me, I think it be a good product for Mercury to have, to revitalize the lineup with something special, something exclusive to the Mercury brand.

As much as I'd love to see the Mondeo, EuroFocus, & S-Max debut in the US as Mercuries, by far and away the Focus CC is the best import bet. Because of it's unique configuration it could sell for a high enough price to justify it's European labor & importation costs - questionable at best (laughable at worst) for the Mondeo, S-Max, & Focus Hatchbacks. A low volume halo for Mercury would at least be a sign of life for the brand.

Just don't call it "Capri" - much too feminine. This would be a much better use of "Monterey" than the minivan ever was.

I'd love to see:

Milan

Sable

Marauder (Interceptor/MKR Mustang-based sibling)

Monterey (EuroFocus C.C.)

Mariner

M-something or other (S-Max like three-row van/wagon-style vehicle)

Magellaen (Taurus X or Flex derivative)

For the sophisticated, ex-urban female clientle Mercury is targeting, this lineup is much better than the Grand Marquis & Mountaineer. The "Monterey" would target young, single professionals and baby boom empty nesters. And it'd give Mercury a reason to exist.

Scott

Edited by waymondospiff

Just don't call it "Capri" - much too feminine.

Capri isn't bad... I used to own an '86 5.0 liter Capri. Nobody ever accused it of being feminine. There are a lot of names in the Ford shoebox that may be passe' but could still be viable.

Comet?

Meteor?

XR... ?

Parklane?

Lynx?

I'm still waiting on a Mustang based Cougar... with XR7 and Eliminator option packages. I guess I can keep on dreamin'...

Heres my version.

The Messenger concept was really a Cougar but I think Ford got carried away with the manditory "M" nomenclature. It is clearly inspired by the Ford Cougar II showcar but also the vertical strakes and round elements in the front and rear lights pay homage to classic Mercury Cougars, not to mention the squarish nose. It's yet another one of a few beautiful concept cars that will probably never see the light of day.

The second Capri never seemed to be much of a hit for Mercury. Buick's Reatta was much more upscale and was were Mercury should have gone. That is what I think is wrong with rebadging Euro Fords as Mercurys, they do no feel upscale at all. In addition to that they are tiny. This is the antithisis of Mercury in my opinion. Every non- North American Ford rebadge has stuck out like a sore thumb: the second Capri, the first Tracer and the Villager. None of them every felt like it was more than a quick plug in the line up. Not to be a stuck record, but what Mercury truely needs is a modern Grand Marquis (one people would aspire to, not retire to), a mid-size cross over and a reborn, flagship Cougar.

Thoughts?

Looks nice, Ford should really consider these.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this even being considered or just an idea?

I would love to see a Capri make a comeback. However, I would more likely expect to see Mercury build such a vehicle off the MX-5s platform.

As for the Focus - they SHOULD have a version of the Focus sold in Mercury stores --- but it should be decidedly upscale and classy compared to the bare-bones Focus.

Don't know if they should revive the Tracer nameplate though --- probably could come up with another name that's more attractive, IMHO.

Is this even being considered or just an idea?

I would love to see a Capri make a comeback. However, I would more likely expect to see Mercury build such a vehicle off the MX-5s platform.

As for the Focus - they SHOULD have a version of the Focus sold in Mercury stores --- but it should be decidedly upscale and classy compared to the bare-bones Focus.

Don't know if they should revive the Tracer nameplate though --- probably could come up with another name that's more attractive, IMHO.

It's just an idea I had, but I would think its perfectly feasible, its really just a rebadge of the Euro Focus CC, they could ship it here, and as someone else said, the higher price point could be justified b/c its a Mercury and is nicer than any NA Ford (Focus) product.

It's just an idea I had, but I would think its perfectly feasible, its really just a rebadge of the Euro Focus CC, they could ship it here, and as someone else said, the higher price point could be justified b/c its a Mercury and is nicer than any NA Ford (Focus) product.

It would be an ideal starting point to give Mercury its own identity. More upscale than Ford not too close to Lincoln (which should be moving further upscale anyway). Good Job I hope someone in Dearborn is listening.

Buick's Reatta was much more upscale and was were Mercury should have gone. That is what I think is wrong with rebadging Euro Fords as Mercurys, they do no feel upscale at all. In addition to that they are tiny.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone say the "Buick Reatta" was a desirable direction.

EuroFords being upscale: yes and no. They are more premium than American Fords in some ways, but that doesn't equate to luxurious nor to the American-verson of luxurious. But the Focus CC would fit Mercury well: not fancy enough to be too costly, but good enough design & materials to support $28-34K - the same price as the oddly-styled, similarly-styled Eos.

And tiny no more. The Focus is sized like a Golf, making it the same size as the Eos. And the Mondeo is pretty much the same size as a Fusion. So, yes, the Ka is small and not NA bound, but the Focus & Mondeo would be perfectly at home in American showrooms and on American roads.

Not only would Mercury branding help justify the cost of the Focus CC, but it makes sense for two key reasons: 1. Market, the Focus CC would target a female clientle, the target market Mercury is trying to reach, and 2. the Focus CC would cost the same as a V6 Mustang convertible - while each would pull a distinct buyer, the Ford showroom would be cluttered by the two equally priced, completely different convertible products.

The name: how about using the CC's concept name, since Mercury's don't HAVE to be Ms any more: Mercury Vignale. A rather continental name for a continental product.

And think about the marketing shot:

Black Milan, black Sable, black Vignale, black Mariner, black Mountaineer - with Jill leaning on the A-pillar of the Vignale. Nice.

Scott

Edited due to my inability to make any sense.

Edited by waymondospiff