Ford - Goodbye Forever

Too bad yr in Cleveland. Would be there for service!!!

just some clarifications

Steering wheel was not turned to the limit the noise was clunking/grinding from front end when turning wheel.

re airbags understand what you say about sensors but if a code showed up in diagnostic then is that part working at all?

Thanks for yr feedback

Understand now about your steering noise-did the struts and springs fix it?

Regarding airbags-trouble codes can either be an erratic (or pending) code (which is what I believe you have) or a Hard fault-in this case the lamp would stay illuminated at all times after the airbag system went through it's proveout cycle. So your system is active and functional as long as the lamp remains out. In my experience erratic codes are ususally caused by either wiring faults or poor connections. Hope this helps!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding airbags-trouble codes can either be an erratic (or pending) code (which is what I believe you have) or a Hard fault-in this case the lamp would stay illuminated at all times after the airbag system went through it's proveout cycle. So your system is active and functional as long as the lamp remains out. In my experience erratic codes are ususally caused by either wiring faults or poor connections. Hope this helps!

so far struts and springs did the trick but we shall see

thks for yr help

• 2 weeks later...
You forgot about the new Civic. Is it 3 recalls in 2 months or 2 recalls in 3 months? I can't remember, being distracted by stories about the CRV fires.

mr_blue_twisted_steel,

If you look at things realistically, warranties have limits for a reason.

When you buy car insurance and let it lapse, if you get into an accident the day after will the insurance cover it?

If you subscribe to a monthly magazine for a year, do you complain if they don't send you the 13th issue?

Didn't you buy an extended warranty?

I'm sorry that you have turned away from Ford, but if it broke under warranty and wasn't getting helped, I could understand. Did you expect service for life on the car?

This is an interesting set of comments because Ford did not help me with three lemons in a row. Sure they flew engineers out to look at the problems, but I was stuck with the cars. After a six month fight they lemoned one only to give me a worse car. It became a BMW.

Fool me onece, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me thrice.......well, buy a BMW. :happy feet:

That was funny.

Even funnier is I still want to buy a Ford. I'm just waiting in the wings for Quality to become job one again. They had it right or almost right in the early nineties. I must admit I have not bought a new Ford since 2000. Bought two BMWs, but they have their own problems. Great cars until they are five to six years old then they seem to implode. :rolleyes:

Just an update Giggles was taken back to Dealer 2 weeks ago as Airbag light illuminated while driving.

They ran diagnostics and same code was present. Service Manager has turned thngs back to Ford and Ford Rep going to review vehicle at Dealer on Monday.

In the interim the oval dash clock stopped working Hmm that was the straw that broke my back as I formally advised Ford that I did not want the vehicle owing to issues and have also reported the Airbag issue to NHSTA as a safety concern.

let you know what happens

I've finally given up on Ford also because they don't offer what I'm looking for: a 6 cyl, manual transmission SUV; Nissan does with the Xterra. I think no matter what brand you purchase today; you're going to get a quality vehicle. The choice comes down to personl likes and dislikes. Ford would be in better shape id they offered more choice in their vehicles, but they don't.

I'm still driving Fords mostly because of cheap price. Last summer I bought brand new F-150 SuperCab 4x4 for $21,000. If I wanted Tundra or Titan with same options it would've cost me at least $30,000.

I don't have any problems with Mustang (yet), but then again, it have only 37,000 miles.

My next car is gonna be 300C.

Edited by Red Star

1. The Honda Accord just reached 6,600 miles. So far, not a single problem. Not a squeek, rattle or failure of any noticable component or part. My previous three Taurus' would have been to the dealer 2 or 3 times each for warranty problems before hitting 6,600 miles.

2. When your car is reliable, you don't have to hope to be friendly enough with the dealer so he cuts you some slack and fixes things out of warranty (things which shouldn't have failed to begin with).

1. The Honda Accord just reached 6,600 miles. So far, not a single problem. Not a squeek, rattle or failure of any noticable component or part. My previous three Taurus' would have been to the dealer 2 or 3 times each for warranty problems before hitting 6,600 miles.

2. When your car is reliable, you don't have to hope to be friendly enough with the dealer so he cuts you some slack and fixes things out of warranty (things which shouldn't have failed to begin with).

So where they at the dealer or not? ( would have been to the dealer)

Whoopie, my Taurus was at the dealer once at 20k, now has 49k, no sqeaks or rattles, no issues.

My New Mustang has 2k on it and it has no sqeaks, rattles.

My 1999 Suberban with 90k has never been to the dealer, whats your point.

All my Domestics cars have been DAMN reliable.

So you know the life cycle of all the parts on vehicles, amazing,

And one more thing, most people who buy the import scrap would NEVER admit any problems with there cars anways, big problems are always small and small problems are normal, Oh the brakes went out , but it was fixed so fast,and it really wasnt a big deal, blah, blah,

Edited by 05StangAwsomecar

And one more thing, most people who buy the import scrap would NEVER admit any problems with there cars anways, big problems are always small and small problems are normal, Oh the brakes went out , but it was fixed so fast,and it really wasnt a big deal, blah, blah,

I would like to believe that. Truly, I would.

So if you can show me proof somewhere, that studies or some sort of survey finds that foreign car owners do everything you just posted, then I may reconsider my position on possibly going outside of the Blue Oval for me next purchase.

So where they at the dealer or not? ( would have been to the dealer)

Whoopie, my Taurus was at the dealer once at 20k, now has 49k, no sqeaks or rattles, no issues.

My New Mustang has 2k on it and it has no sqeaks, rattles.

My 1999 Suberban with 90k has never been to the dealer, whats your point.

>> All were most definitely at the dealer for unacceptable in warranty repairs. Some visits were made within 2 or 3 weeks of buying the car! Far too many visits to the blue oval store.

>> Based on personal experience, as well as family, neighbors, friends, etc, you are in the minority.

So you know the life cycle of all the parts on vehicles, amazing,

>> Maybe, but I can only comment on what I know. My family and I used to buy Ford and GM products. I also did all the work on them (out of warranty). I know a thing or two about repairing / replacing clutches, brakes, engines, cooling systems, etc. Fact: My 1992 Honda Accord and 2006 Honda Accord (so far) showed no signs of premature failure of any part. The 1992 car required routine maintenance, per the book, one exhaust system at 68K miles (before they were stainless steel) and front brake pads at 51K miles. That's it. I can't speak for other foreign car owners who "NEVER admit any problems", but I can speak for myself and my family's vehicles. Night and day difference between Ford and Honda initial and long term quality.

Edited by mr_blue_twisted_steel

FORD closed AAP,TCAP and NAP three top quality plants Mark Fields just does not get nor Bill Ford quality sells vehicles ask Toyota that is why i am going to order my first import oops i mean american truck Toyota Tundra. Hey Mark you might as well shut down KCAP now because you are going to lose F-150 sales because truck buyers are also loyal to the plants they buy from! Nothing against KCAP they do good work but we all know they would go before DTP. :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :sos::sos:

Go Toyota :cheerleader: Go Toyota :cheerleader: Go Toyota :cheerleader:

>> Make sure you get the Ford gas tank package installed ASAP to protect your CV gas tank from rear end collisions and explosions while you have someone pulled over. It's funny....Ford offers those parts for free to any LE Crn Vic, but the civillian with the Crn Vic has to pay for the retrofit out of their own pocket. Way to protect the public and keep loyal customers Ford!!

My brother is on the job and has had 3 Crn Vics as his cruiser. He knows all of the mechanics in the town DPW by their middle names because he has been their so much. All 3 vehicles have had numerous problems, both in and out of warranty. He loves the car because it's free and it's his take home cruiser, but he would never spend his hard earned dollars on one.

Negative Mr. Anti American sell-out,

I do not have the protection kit on my CV and I won't get one. I did an entire research paper on the issue, and the chances of a fire from a rear collision are REMOTE. R E M O T E.

In fact, the rate of fire in a CV is THE SAME as for the Chevy Caprice. 12 fires...out of THREE MILLION vehicles.

I've taken my 2000 CV police car to the dealer just ONCE since it's been assigned to me (and I've had it for over a year). It has 133, 250 miles as I speak.

When I'm not working, I drive a Town Car (same platform design as the CV). Beats the hell out of driving some foreign uni-body car that has no real structure to it. Ever seen a Toyoder (that's made out of all sheet metal) after IT has been hit at 80 mph?? HINT: Make sure you've paid up your life insurance.

CV has an actual FRAME to it. Something solid.

>> All were most definitely at the dealer for unacceptable in warranty repairs. Some visits were made within 2 or 3 weeks of buying the car! Far too many visits to the blue oval store.

>> Based on personal experience, as well as family, neighbors, friends, etc, you are in the minority.

Wrong again...

My grandfather drives a 2003 Ford Taurus SES. He bought it used with 21,000 miles.

To date, he has NOT had a SINGLE, SOLITARY problem. Last time I looked at his odometer...it was well over 70,000 miles.

Oh, and did I mention my sister's 1988 CV, with 400,000 miles?

FORD closed AAP,TCAP and NAP three top quality plants Mark Fields just does not get nor Bill Ford quality sells vehicles ask Toyota that is why i am going to order my first import oops i mean american truck Toyota Tundra. Hey Mark you might as well shut down KCAP now because you are going to lose F-150 sales because truck buyers are also loyal to the plants they buy from! Nothing against KCAP they do good work but we all know they would go before DTP. :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :sos::sos:

Go Toyota :cheerleader: Go Toyota :cheerleader: Go Toyota :cheerleader:

Not necessarily.

F150 sales went up after Ontario truck (home of the Lightning) was closed

Negative Mr. Anti American sell-out,

I do not have the protection kit on my CV and I won't get one. I did an entire research paper on the issue, and the chances of a fire from a rear collision are REMOTE. R E M O T E.

In fact, the rate of fire in a CV is THE SAME as for the Chevy Caprice. 12 fires...out of THREE MILLION vehicles.

I've taken my 2000 CV police car to the dealer just ONCE since it's been assigned to me (and I've had it for over a year). It has 133, 250 miles as I speak.

When I'm not working, I drive a Town Car (same platform design as the CV). Beats the hell out of driving some foreign uni-body car that has no real structure to it. Ever seen a Toyoder (that's made out of all sheet metal) after IT has been hit at 80 mph?? HINT: Make sure you've paid up your life insurance.

CV has an actual FRAME to it. Something solid.

Come on your lying, no American car(domestic) can achieve that, only the over priced imports can, and you are lying, you know a import is the only car in the world that can substain a 300mph rear impact, and the person in that vehicle walk away with no injuries.

Wrong again...

My grandfather drives a 2003 Ford Taurus SES. He bought it used with 21,000 miles.

To date, he has NOT had a SINGLE, SOLITARY problem. Last time I looked at his odometer...it was well over 70,000 miles.

Oh, and did I mention my sister's 1988 CV, with 400,000 miles?

Oh come on you know no domestic can achieve that kind of mileage without tons of repairs, heck it was probally in the dealership most of the time,, Only Import scrap can do that, it does not matter how many times it was in the dealer, or how many recalls it has had it is better,and is acceptable, must need updating, quit posting untruths, ( this is total BULLSHIT of coarse)

Any person who EVEN thinks their is something wrong with a Crown Victoria, needs to pull their head OUT OF THEIR ASS.

NAME ONE, JUST ONE CAR, THAT CAN TAKE THAT KIND OF REAR END COLLISION, AND HAVE NO PROBLEM, COME ON PROVE ME WRONG!

And Twisted Steel, quite your job and go work for a Independent repair facility, for about 6months and you will see what I am talking about.

Like I have said before I loved giving people their estimate, for their repairs ( on Imports) their expressions where priceless. :lol:

Edited by 05StangAwsomecar

Not necessarily.

F150 sales went up after Ontario truck (home of the Lightning) was closed

There is more competion now and more comming and do not forget there are going to be 30000 less loyal Ford employee's think of all those A X Y and Z plans that will not be used, can you say lost market share. Go Toyota :cheerleader: go Toyota :cheerleader: go Toyota :cheerleader: PS all of those plants that are going to close after 07 will not get any buyouts now you have pissed off ex employee's :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I was in a small group that dealt with some of the people who had complaints about all vehicles. At one site people complained about Ford not having enough cup holders. The foriegn makes had less cup holders but no one complained. This goes against Ford in things gone wrong per thousand yet does it mean quality?

I work at TCAP where we build the #1 quality little truck, Mazda, and the #4 quality truck, Ranger. Same parts, same people, it does come down to peoples perception.

Well, so long, sorry you won't be around to enjoy the post-Nasser era (your car was the result of his corner-cutting b.s.).

You did say forever, so I don't expect to see you back.

I am new to this site and forum and not real familiar with Ford "history"

Can anyone fill me in on the Nasser-era and "corner cutting b.s." and what has happened to reverse the trend (or point me to a link) ?

Thanx in advance

Hummm,

Long, long, ago I wanted a custom van that wasn't a cookie cutter and one that you could go from the drivers seat to the rear without crawling over a doghouse, so I bought a 76 Econoline. It was a totally new vehicle different from any other van on the market. It didn't have ANY Recalls or major defects or cost saving problems, in fact I think they were too good. I'm not on the other hand saying they were perfect all the 70's and 80's Fords rusted very quickly and the power steering pump fell off my engine 5 times. But I drove that van for 25 years and over 600,000 miles without a major engine or transmission failure. If I could have purchased a complete new 76 body I would be driving it today instead of the 2002 I currently own.

The new van doesn't get as good of gas mileage, or have as good of suspension as the old one.

The 76 E150 351W got 21-22 mpg highway the 2002 E150 5.4L gets 17-19 mpg

The 76 had 3 leaf spring set the same set as a current E250. Ford you won't believe the handling difference putting the extra springs on a van. Why were they removed???

No matter what Ford still makes the best full sized van. Look at the competition: Dodge?? trannys that go south under warranty and can't be repaired only replaced.....Chevy, ugly as sin Avalanche version with that cow catcher from bumper and less stable than an Explorer with a blown out tire and the stock engine a lethargic 5.3 that has half the power of an Astro v6

• 4 weeks later...

And Twisted Steel, quite your job and go work for a Independent repair facility, for about 6months and you will see what I am talking about.

Like I have said before I loved giving people their estimate, for their repairs (on Imports) their expressions where priceless. :lol:

This is a non-issue for me and my family. The Hondas and Toyotas owned by us have only required routine maintenance, performed by my brother, father or myself.....No return trips to the dealers like the Fords, which could make the trip by themselves since they were there so much. A Toyota Avalon did need an O2 sensor at 91,200 miles, but we replaced it ourselves. Probably for 1/2 the cost a dealer would charge...

• 4 weeks later...

OutFront

Teflon Toyota

Joann Muller and Jonathan Fahey 07.03.06

Consumers don't seem bothered by a rash of recalls.

Here's a quiz: a carmaker last month recalled 1 million vehicles worldwide. In 2005 it recalled 2.2 million vehicles in the U.S., 10% of its total number of cars on the road here and twice the number it recalled the year before. Who is this bumbling manufacturer? No, not General Motors (nyse: GM - news - people ), but Toyota (nyse: TM - news - people ), whose vehicles jump off the lot because consumers swear by their quality. Just a few weeks ago Toyota again dominated consumer polls in the annual J.D. Power & Associates initial quality study.

Why this disconnect? The answer says something about the nature of recalls and how Toyota handles them. For one thing, the spike in recalls stems from Toyota's own efficiency. Rather than reengineering parts, it shares components among many models. So when something goes wrong, as it did recently with the steering shaft on the Prius and ten other (non-U.S.) models, the recall number is high.

Toyota, moreover, has perfected the art of detecting and fixing quality problems early, often before customers even notice them. "What we tend to see is that if a customer receives a recall notice before their car exhibits any symptoms, they don't see it as a problem," says Chance Parker of J.D. Power. It counts as a recall, for sure, but the Power surveys are gauging consumers' level of satisfaction. And Toyota knows how to keep customers satisfied. It gives its dealers plenty of leeway to fix customer complaints even postwarranty--by some accounts as much as $3,000 per vehicle.

Despite the headlines, it's not clear that Toyota's recall numbers are any worse than those of the other carmakers. The amount it spends making good on warranties is 1.2% of revenues versus 2.4% for GM and 2.3% for Ford (nyse: F - news - people ). Last year when Toyota had 12 recalls, covering 2.2 million vehicles in the U.S., GM had 30, covering 5.1 million, and Ford had 17, covering 6 million ( see story, p. 102).

No question that Toyota's remarkable growth has hit some bumps. Consumer Reports dropped the reliability rating on its newly redesigned Avalon from "much better than average" to "average." Even Toyota management wonders whether it has the bench to guide its growth. But for now quality doesn't seem to be an issue.

OutFront

Teflon Toyota

Joann Muller and Jonathan Fahey 07.03.06

Consumers don't seem bothered by a rash of recalls.

Here's a quiz: a carmaker last month recalled 1 million vehicles worldwide. In 2005 it recalled 2.2 million vehicles in the U.S., 10% of its total number of cars on the road here and twice the number it recalled the year before. Who is this bumbling manufacturer? No, not General Motors (nyse: GM - news - people ), but Toyota (nyse: TM - news - people ), whose vehicles jump off the lot because consumers swear by their quality. Just a few weeks ago Toyota again dominated consumer polls in the annual J.D. Power & Associates initial quality study.

Why this disconnect? The answer says something about the nature of recalls and how Toyota handles them. For one thing, the spike in recalls stems from Toyota's own efficiency. Rather than reengineering parts, it shares components among many models. So when something goes wrong, as it did recently with the steering shaft on the Prius and ten other (non-U.S.) models, the recall number is high.

Toyota, moreover, has perfected the art of detecting and fixing quality problems early, often before customers even notice them. "What we tend to see is that if a customer receives a recall notice before their car exhibits any symptoms, they don't see it as a problem," says Chance Parker of J.D. Power. It counts as a recall, for sure, but the Power surveys are gauging consumers' level of satisfaction. And Toyota knows how to keep customers satisfied. It gives its dealers plenty of leeway to fix customer complaints even postwarranty--by some accounts as much as $3,000 per vehicle.

Despite the headlines, it's not clear that Toyota's recall numbers are any worse than those of the other carmakers. The amount it spends making good on warranties is 1.2% of revenues versus 2.4% for GM and 2.3% for Ford (nyse: F - news - people ). Last year when Toyota had 12 recalls, covering 2.2 million vehicles in the U.S., GM had 30, covering 5.1 million, and Ford had 17, covering 6 million ( see story, p. 102).

No question that Toyota's remarkable growth has hit some bumps. Consumer Reports dropped the reliability rating on its newly redesigned Avalon from "much better than average" to "average." Even Toyota management wonders whether it has the bench to guide its growth. But for now quality doesn't seem to be an issue.

Just someone else trying to sugar coat it, If it were Ford/Gm its a slam/bash fest, Toyoda has a recall and its water under the bridge. TOTAL BULLSHIT.

They do it better, :blah: :blah: :blah: I almost spit up my beer.

My wife and I will never buy a Ford for the rest of our lives. I am also confident my children will never set foot in a Ford dealer.

Ford - Goodbye forever.

See, this is where ford isn't paying attention............The CUSTOMER. It is time for ford to quit this non offer of assistance by telling their customer's that the dealer has to handle all of the vehicle's problems. If ford truly want's to find the way forward, you better start treating you customer base with a little respect and quit acting like you (ford) aren't responsible for your actions.

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com

Well, I might as well add my two cents. My issue I have I would really like fixed but my service department and others send me packing. I have a vibration that comes out of the break pedal when stopping from anything 40MPH+. I have had others test it and they tell me there is no problem, I call another dealership and thye tell me "I never heard of a car needing a break inspection with only 5K on it" Everytime I try to get the issue resolved they send me away and tell me nothings wrong or try and discourage me coming in. See this is where you fall, no matter how many times I complained about the AC with the Tacoma Toyota would tell me to come in right away, they even sent one of their techs to look at my truck. No other tech heard the noise but the one from Toyota did. My service department has never once offered to have my car looked at by a tech from Ford. I offered to pay for them to look at the breaks, and they still sent me away. I want this fixed so I can go back to loving my car. So what do you have to say Ford?

Edited by vistablue mustang