STAP REDUCTION

hee haw

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the seniors and what they had to go through. But know this...should junior people be let go; then will many of the "seniors" enjoy thier jobs then? I know at Indy; the "cell lines" would not put a smile on many of the seniors. But once again I do thank you & respect you...and if you continue to work, then I say have at it.

30+ Guys , why are working till death? we had a 53 year old guy dye last night in paint last night , he had 35 + years with the company. are we that desperate to work , cause I will gladly leave if this is what you want.

I am sorry but I do not want to die on the line.

30+ Guys , why are working till death? we had a 53 year old guy dye last night in paint last night , he had 35 + years with the company. are we that desperate to work , cause I will gladly leave if this is what you want.

I know guys that have died in their 20's and 30's, and guys that have lived until their 90's.

You work to live, a 53 year old guy might have 4 kids with 2 in university. Did you ask his widow why he was still working? He probably had a good reason.

I know guys that have died in their 20's and 30's, and guys that have lived until their 90's.

You work to live, a 53 year old guy might have 4 kids with 2 in university. Did you ask his widow why he was still working? He probably had a good reason.

I am sorry , I do not see any good reason for spending my life on the line ... "IF" I make it I "get" to retire @ 58 and by lord , hell or high water I will retire.. I have things I want to do and working at the plant is not what i want to do.

Spending time with my GF/Wife and tooling around my house is what I want to do, working on my own stuff , watching Nascar , going to Arizona in the winter and north in the summer, is what i consider living.

I am sorry , I do not see any good reason for spending my life on the line ... "IF" I make it I "get" to retire @ 58 and by lord , hell or high water I will retire.. I have things I want to do and working at the plant is not what i want to do.

Spending time with my GF/Wife and tooling around my house is what I want to do, working on my own stuff , watching Nascar , going to Arizona in the winter and north in the summer, is what i consider living.

Funny you say that, my father-in-law retired from Ford at 58, died less than 7 months later.

When it's your time, it's your time.

......hey fasttime,,,does your Wife no about your girlfriend(GF)? :o

:)

SHHHH! :happy feet:

Funny you say that, my father-in-law retired from Ford at 58, died less than 7 months later.

When it's your time, it's your time.

I think my point is I don't want to work any longer then I have to , life is too short.

Did you ask his widow why he was still working? He probably had a good reason.

Hey Sparky, Im sure the guys wife has more important things to worry about than having somebody bother her with trivial questions like that. Try and have a little respect.

Hey Sparky, Im sure the guys wife has more important things to worry about than having somebody bother her with trivial questions like that. Try and have a little respect.

It was not a literal suggestion. The point I was making was every person's situation is different. Everyone's health, lifespan is different.

At 53, my father-in-law had 30 years in; paying for my wife's university; and within 2 years was paying for both my wife's and her sister's weddings. At the time he retired, he was healthier than many men 15 years younger, he died from a fluke pericardial infection.

Everybody's situation is different. It's easy to say that "he had over 30 years, he should have been retired". Most of us work more than 30 years in our lifetime -- what's the difference between working 30 years at Ford and 10 years before you worked for Ford? Just because they had an early start at Ford it doesn't mean that he should have to retire.

What about doctors? Know any doctors that are over 60 and not retired?

How about lawyers?

If you can retire at 30 years, that's fantastic. Don't diss the guys who don't. There might be more to their story than you realize.

Respect would be not even bringing this topic to the forum untill after the man is buried.

Since it is here though, my 2 cents.

Maybe there are financial reasons for hire seniority people not retiring, mortgage, college or university tuition, child support, paying an exwife to leave you alone, maybe some of them don't have anyone at home and the people they work with are like there family and don't want to loose that. What ever the reason this man had was his business lets not drag him through the mud.

Sure it would be nice to have a little more job security at STAP, I am a 7 year employee in my early 40's with a mortgage and children. If I end up looseing my job so be it, I will find another one, if it pays less which it likely would then I adjust my lifestyle. I will not sit around badmouthing others because they choose to work. Manditory retirement is 65, but remember the Provincial Government is looking to change that to 75.

Good points stapworker, also dont forget guys the reason some are losing their jobs when we go to 1 shift and imo shortly afterwords close. Its because FORD isnt competing well enough to sell cars. They are way behind other companies in redesigns or new products.

At least its that way for the crown vic 14 years or so since they spruced it up?

That is the reason we are losing jobs right now ....if we had a hot product we would be fine.

I dont blame guys for not retiriing at 30 years its nice if you can do it, but not all are ready at 49 or so...

I know of some people at STAP that are 55 but there children are just entering College or University, I will be in the same position when I turn 55.

I was 30 when I married and 32 when my first child was born, and 35 when Ford hired me. I can understand some saying they cannot retire, if STAP where to survive at 55 years old I would only have 20 years at Ford, my son would be in 3rd year of post secondary and my daughter would be in her first year.

Even with RESP's (yes I started one for each child when they where born ) and personal savings, Scholorships and Grants ( if they qualify ) the cost of Post Secondary Education is to much for most students to carry themselves, I will continue to work to help my children achieve a better life. I will work till I am 65 if I have to.

I know some are going to say that the Government should increase Education funding but that will not help, either way it still comes from our paycheque.

The bottom line is this, yes I would love to have people retire to guarentee me a job, I don't think it will happen though. It's time to move on and stop knocking those who choose to work.

Let's start a new topic. How about Gretsky?

I believe we will not get a new product until alot of the 30 year guys are gone. I believe the company is pushing them out the door with the one shift thing and the new 4 day work week. The company is sending a message that the 30 year guys that don't put in a full days work will be gone when they retire, the old mentality will not cut it if we get a new product. The gravy money is no longer there and talking to a 38 year guy today, he thinks its bullshit, he definately sees it as a push out the door. If we incorporate what CAMI does, which is CAW (the noone leaves early or you get charged rule) then I think alot of these guys would go. Noone is saying they shouldn't have good jobs, but that they should be there the entire shift. I am not familiar with any other company that tolerates someone going home up to four hours early with pay. Its time to pass the torch and get new product into the plant because you cannot build a new product with the mentality that most of these workers have. You know what they say, You can't get blood from a stone, and thats what it would be with these older guys, when the company is trying to change things to build new product, under different rules.

Edited by bodyman

I believe that attitudes and work ethics need to change but it is not just the senior workers. Everyone needs to go in with the attitude that they are paid for 8 and work 8. I still think we can save STAP but not with the attitude and infighting that is happening now.

Sure everyone makes mistakes but there is a limit to what excuses will cover. What ever happened to taking pride in your job?

I believe that attitudes and work ethics need to change but it is not just the senior workers. Everyone needs to go in with the attitude that they are paid for 8 and work 8. I still think we can save STAP but not with the attitude and infighting that is happening now.

Sure everyone makes mistakes but there is a limit to what excuses will cover. What ever happened to taking pride in your job?

Exactly!

How do YOU feel about that bodyman??

What are you ganging up on me??? I take pride in my work... I really do. We're not going to point fingers are we??? There are alot worse workers than me out there that's for sure, noone is perfect and not everyone is capable of saving the plant over on Line 8 STAP 130

What are you ganging up on me??? I take pride in my work... I really do. We're not going to point fingers are we??? There are alot worse workers than me out there that's for sure, no one is perfect and not everyone is capable of saving the plant over on Line 8 STAP 130

I'm not pointing fingers at you or anyone else, everyone has off day's even me. If I make a mistake on my job 3 other people can't do there's so it all add's up to one big repair. I know that they are going to crack down on repairs though, Thursday they treatened me with a charge for 1 repair 5 hours into the shift.

The problem with people leaving early starts with management. They alone control what they pay. At STAP if Carmine Bertone had any balls he would start having his supervisors pay only for hours worked. I do not think that any of these 35+ year people came in with a 3-4 hour shift mentallity . The company started it and only they can stop it. When I work 10 or 12 hours in CA I see most of Plant Service leaving before me even though they started 8 hours after me. On an houly basis most of these are making more than a Doctor. 8 hours pay for 8 hours work might make some of these people leave. I feel bad for Rick and his family and give my regards he was an AUTO WORKER in every sense of the word and was working at a job he loved not just showing up for paycheck.

I'm not pointing fingers at you or anyone else, everyone has off day's even me. If I make a mistake on my job 3 other people can't do there's so it all add's up to one big repair. I know that they are going to crack down on repairs though, Thursday they treatened me with a charge for 1 repair 5 hours into the shift.

Wow , I am having a really hard time with this since we have repairs all the time on line 6 , I was threatened a couple of times about 3 months ago for letting things go .. not my fault and it was maybe 3 things all night.. but some of these guys are letting about half their job go 50% of the time and they seem to get away with it. This really burns me up ...

I'm sorry I was on Spa last week, who is this Rick gentleman.

Rick is the gentleman that passed away Tuesday in post paint , from a massive heart attack . may he rest in peace.

What are you ganging up on me??? I take pride in my work... I really do. We're not going to point fingers are we??? There are alot worse workers than me out there that's for sure, noone is perfect and not everyone is capable of saving the plant over on Line 8 STAP 130

Whoa! I just asked you a question. Do you have some guilt issues or something?

Time for a group hug. :beerchug: If any of you people could get out early would you. :shrug:

If you have a jobwhere you can get out early why not.I had one where i got out 45 minutes early and they eliminated it.then the guy that got the extra work still got out at noon.

Now his job has been eliminated so they are watching.

Respect would be not even bringing this topic to the forum untill after the man is buried.

Since it is here though, my 2 cents.

Maybe there are financial reasons for hire seniority people not retiring, mortgage, college or university tuition, child support, paying an exwife to leave you alone, maybe some of them don't have anyone at home and the people they work with are like there family and don't want to loose that. What ever the reason this man had was his business lets not drag him through the mud.

Sure it would be nice to have a little more job security at STAP, I am a 7 year employee in my early 40's with a mortgage and children. If I end up looseing my job so be it, I will find another one, if it pays less which it likely would then I adjust my lifestyle. I will not sit around badmouthing others because they choose to work. Manditory retirement is 65, but remember the Provincial Government is looking to change that to 75.

Actually Bill 68 has already received Royal Assent and will become effective in December 2006....no age limit.

BILL 68