Success for Ford

There seems to be a lot of disagreement on here about what defines success for a Ford product.

I really think Ford success nowadays is very modest now. It used to be having two plants going with three shifts and selling 400,000 units like with Taurus, Explorer, and Ranger. Now it's much more modest with only F-Series being built at multiple plants. What is success now?

In my view, it is keeping ONE plant busy so that at least 80% of the plant capacity is being used if not all 100% of it, keeping incentives to a minimum, inventory under control, and residual values decent. What Ford vehicles qualify right now by this definition. Not many. This is my list and it's a short one.

Fusion

Milan

MKZ

Edge

Escape

Mariner

MKX

E-Series Vans

Super Duty trucks

Focus marginally because of high incentives, but residual values are good and plant is busy

Flex and MKS should be on this list next year

Hopefully Taurus and TaurusX, but don't know yet if CAP will be kept busy. F-150 incentives are too high and Explorer doesn't qualify in any area of my definition.

:hysterical::banghead:

I find it funny and disturbing when the monthly sales report comes out and some people are able to find something good to say with negative numbers. :hysterical::banghead:

I would agree somewhat, but what do expect Ford to do when reporting the numbers...give doom and gloom report? They have to look for bright spots and continue to try to rebuild the company. Same here...are we supposed to just act like someone who has just their girl friend and cry in our beer. I think this site does great job of giving valuable info, sharing it, and analyzing it. Without any hope and just turning it into one, big negative forum would be major downer, and everyone should leave then.

:hysterical::banghead:

I find it funny and disturbing when the monthly sales report comes out and some people are able to find something good to say with negative numbers. :hysterical::banghead:

Sell X units of a platform doesn't always equal success. The only true way for Ford to be successful is to be able to turn a profit not how many sales it can make. We'll hopefully see that come late next year early 2009

Sell X units of a platform doesn't always equal success. The only true way for Ford to be successful is to be able to turn a profit not how many sales it can make. We'll hopefully see that come late next year early 2009

The only true way for Ford to be successful is to be able to sell cars at a profit. In other words find consumers who want and are willing to buy a Ford at a profitable price, and the more cars sold at a profit the better.

Edited by MKII