Does Ford really care about customer service...I have my doubts

Sometimes I wonder if Ford is trying to lose customers. This is my story (I wrote it to a local news station with the hopes of seeing a resolution to my case)

Remember, I did not write this specifically to Ford management, so the wording may be off a bit.

As you may or may not know, on December 16, 2005 a class action settlement became final against Ford Motor Company. The terms of the settlement are as follows: (this is a shortened version, a full version can be seen at www.fordmanifoldsettlement.com)

"This Proposed Class Action Settlement involves certain Ford motor vehicles, specifically those with a 4.6L, 2-valve V-8 engine that were originally equipped with an all nylon-composite air intake manifold. Under the Proposed Settlement, Ford is granting retroactive seven-year extended warranty coverage for fatigue cracking of the coolant crossover passage of the all nylon-composite intake manifold in the Class Vehicles and you may be entitled to a reimbursement if you paid to replace your manifold, as explained below."

One of the vehicles involved is the Ford Crown Victoria. The class action states that all 1996 through 2001 Ford Crown Victorias are covered (regardless if they are civilian models or fleet models). The settlement states that Ford will reimburse people if they had to fix their manifold out of pocket. I did. The settlement also states that if the owner of the vehicle cannot locate their receipts, Ford would reimburse $700.00 back to the owner. I was unable to locate any receipts, so I am entitled to $700.00 from Ford Motor Company. In late 2005/early 2006 I followed all of the steps necessary to receive reimbursement (see below)

" If you paid to replace your intake manifold, but you do not have your original paid receipt and your vehicle was sold less than seven years ago, you may take your vehicle to a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealer for inspection. You must bring this Notice to the dealer within 90 days after the Proposed Settlement becomes final, signed below under penalty of perjury, stating that you paid to replace an intake manifold that had cracked at the coolant crossover passage, resulting in a coolant leak. The dealer also will inspect your vehicle to confirm that the original manifold was replaced. In that event, you will be entitled to receive reimbursement of a pre-set amount for the estimated costs of replacing your manifold."

I did that. I can even prove that I paid to have it changed because I bought the car off E-Bay and I still have the original E-Bay ad. In that ad, you can clearly see that I have the faulty manifold in question. When I went to Inver Grove Ford, they ran my VIN number in Fords Oasis computer system (basically a computer database that lists all recalls and any very important information about a particular car) Upon running my VIN number, the service employee said that my car was not covered. I explained that the class action covers ALL 1996 through 2001 Ford Crown Victorias. My car was built in early April 2001 and was sold as a 2001 model, therefore should be covered by this class action. I tried to get an answer out of Ford and they danced around the issue claiming that if my car's problem was not in Oasis, it was not covered. I called the law firm that was handling the case. After many phone calls back and fourth with the law firm, they basically said that I was high and dry stating that they had no idea why I was not covered (they really took my case seriously though and tried very hard to get me a straight answer).

It may be too late to do anything, but I thought this may be my last hope of seeing my money.

Here are two threads from www.crownvic.net. The first one is when the settlement was finalized on Dec. 16, 2006. The second one was started by me after I was having trouble getting reimbursed. The reason I posted that second link is because Ford had told me fleet versions of the Crown Victoria (specifically, the P71 Police model), were not covered. However, current owners of the P71 Police Crown Victoria on www.crownvic.net have gotten paid. So clearly, Ford is not telling the truth.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthre...e=0&fpart=1

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthre...e=0&fpart=1

IN closing, I do thank you for taking a look at my "case". I am hoping beyond hope that you can help me get this figured out. Ford has stolen $700.00 from me and so far has gotten away with it.

Thank you very much in advance,

Matt ...

So, will anything get resolved this time?

Edited by P71_CrownVic

I'm sorry, were you expecting a reply? Only a moron would expect a result posting anonymously in a forum that isn't actually owned by Ford.

I'll take that as a "No".

Great job Ford...I wish you nothing but mis-fortune and hope you lose market share every year by double digits.

....see, I rest my case.

Your answer is as plain as day.

From http://www.fordmanifoldsettlement.com/import.html

"Under the terms of the Settlement, you have 90 days from December 16, 2005 to request reimbursement. If you paid to replace the intake manifold on your Class Vehicle, to obtain reimbursement, you must bring an original receipt for the repair or a photocopy or duplicate thereof to a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury dealer. You must bring your receipt to the dealer no later than March 16, 2006. Requests for reimbursement submitted after March 16, 2006 will not be accepted"

And not having the recipet didn't change the matter either-

"If you paid to replace your intake manifold, but you do not have your original receipt and your vehicle was sold less than seven years ago, you may take your vehicle to a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury dealer for inspection. You must bring the Notice of Proposed Settlement to the dealer no later than March 16, 2006, signed under the penalty of perjury, stating that you paid to replace an intake manifold that had cracked at the coolant crossover passage, resulting in a coolant leak. The dealer will also inspect your vehicle to confirm that the original manifold was replaced. In that event, you will be entitled to receive reimbursement of a pre-set amount for the estimated costs of replacing your manifold"

But the date MARCH 16, 2006 DOES! Its long gone, And so are your chances. My buddy had to pay for his intake too, Your not the only one out there.

Lets look at the dates listed in the two topics from crownvic.net

topic 1 was started= 12/16/05

topic 2 was started= 1/26/06

Both well before March 16, 2006.

Case closed.

Your answer is as plain as day.

From http://www.fordmanifoldsettlement.com/import.html

But the date MARCH 16, 2006 DOES! Its long gone, And so are your chances. My buddy had to pay for his intake too, Your not the only one out there.

Lets look at the dates listed in the two topics from crownvic.net

Case closed.

I think everyone on this site took the short bus to school. PEOPLE YOU NEED TO READ...IT IS REALLY NOT THAT HARD, USE YOUR FINGER IF YOU CAN'T KEEP UP!!!!!!!!!!

Look at topic "2" It was started on 1/26/06...this is what I posted:

SPREAD THE WORD...

I need P71 owners who have gotton their class action check or are getting their class action check to answer this question...

Did the Ford dealership that you took your car to run your VIN in OASIS?

Ford is saying that my 2001 is not covered and I need to know if Ford ran your VIN or not. Also, as I will be forwarding this thread to the actual lawyers handling the case, if you are a owner of a car that Ford is saying is not covered, post here as well. I really need your help with this guys (and gals).

Thanks in advance

Matt

As you can see, I tried to seek reimbursement as early as January 26th, 2006, and back when I went to school...January 26th came BEFORE March 16th.

And, if you would have read what I typed above, it clearly says that I tried...BEFORE MARCH 16TH...to seek reimbursement:

In late 2005/early 2006 I followed all of the steps necessary to receive reimbursement (see below)

" If you paid to replace your intake manifold, but you do not have your original paid receipt and your vehicle was sold less than seven years ago, you may take your vehicle to a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealer for inspection. You must bring this Notice to the dealer within 90 days after the Proposed Settlement becomes final, signed below under penalty of perjury, stating that you paid to replace an intake manifold that had cracked at the coolant crossover passage, resulting in a coolant leak. The dealer also will inspect your vehicle to confirm that the original manifold was replaced. In that event, you will be entitled to receive reimbursement of a pre-set amount for the estimated costs of replacing your manifold."

I did that.

And what did you mean by this?:

Case closed.

Why "case closed"? That clearly shows that I tried to seek reimbursement prior to March 16, 2006.

What was the date that you brought in the signed Notice of Proposed Settlement ?

My best guess would be sometime between December 17th 2005 and January 3rd, 2006. On January 3rd, 2006 I posted this:

Well, I called the hot line for Ford and they said that my car was not covered. What the hell?

And this:

Well, I guess I should have said the Ford Customer Service line. I called the Law firm again and the lawyer handling the case has a few people in my boat. They have a 2001, but it does not come up in fords recall database. She said she will be in contact with me if anything comes up.

EDIT: I actually just found a Oasis report dated 12/20/05. Thats when I went in to seek reimbursement. The car was built on 04/09/2001 and the warranty start date was 05/03/2001. And under "Extend Coverages", it says "no ESP information available".

Edited by P71_CrownVic

So we'll ask the question again.

What do you expect to happen by posting this to a Ford enthusiast website? Spend your time with a lawyer instead.

I was hoping, at the bare minimum, to get a reasonable explanation as to why Ford thinks that 1996 through 2001 does not include 2001 automobiles.

Wow...what do you expect to get in a Forum titled "Ford Management" with a sub-title that says, "Open letters to Ford Management. And, yes - Ford reads these."?

As a Ford Owner as I read the responses you received I'm embarrassed that people appear to represent Ford would talk to a customer this way....What a shame............

As a Ford Owner as I read the responses you received I'm embarrassed that people appear to represent Ford would talk to a customer this way....What a shame............

When you post things like this:

I'll take that as a "No".

Great job Ford...I wish you nothing but mis-fortune and hope you lose market share every year by double digits.

... you should expect reactions like he got.

If I posted a question that didn't get answered, and then posted, "Well thanks for no help, I hope you all get cancer" you'd think I was a frackin idiot.

So when people whose livelihood depends on Ford, who had absolutely nothing to do with his problem get ill wished upon, you can't say he didn't ask for it.

You're ready to burn ford because you got a car with a poorly designed intake manifold? I for one would need a better reason.

Seriously, just order the aftermarket manifold from summit (it's like $200, and is made of aluminum where the OEM ones crack) and spend the 3 hours installing it. I've done one before, it's not that hard.

I think a $200, 3 hour repair isn't much at all for a vehicle I like driving.

Anyways, good luck with the toyota you'll end up in. I'm sure they'll be much more responsive to their non-shifting transmissions, weak frames, sludged-up engines, and camshaft failures.

I guess some people just have too much time on their hands and like to waste it complaining on internet forums that will get them nowhere.

SAY IT AINT SO----------------Ive always been a Ford man , since my teen yrs Ive often told ppl when car talk started "I BLEED BLUE" , many times actually nearly coming to blows in defence of the beloved oval when it was denigrated by any GM lover . Ive always said Ill never own anything but a Ford but now my Merc has made me sad. Tonight after resorting to the internet of to find a clue to my mysterious coolant leaking 96 Grnd Mrq , it seems Im the ashamed owner of a cracked plastic intake manifold (whoever's idea that was should be forced to drive a Chevy) . Im even more amazed , no , shocked to learn that Ford has finagled a weasely settlement to a class action suit with a seemingly purposefully tiny window of opportunity to get the KNOWN DEFECTIVE part replaced. Ive always bragged how Ford stands behind their products , recalling defective vehicles without the need of class action suits , unlike Chevy (heres where I usually invoke the saddle-bag gas tanks on chevy trucks that for years sent many ppl to horrible flaming deaths). Guess the new Ford Corp is going to make a liar out of me , and a victim. The composite plastic manifold is unservicable for the function for which it was intended therefore defective and Ford should replace free of charge EVERY SINGLE ONE of them. Even were I able to easily afford the 700 to 1500 dollar price of replacement I shouldnt have to. As it is Im NOT able to afford the repair costs , being a semi-poor bluecollar slob . The reason I bought the car is because the Crwn Vic and the Grnd Marq have had the best repair record of any American made car for nearly forever , Guess thats a thing of the past , all 4 electric windows have broken also (another design flaw). What is happening to Ford ? What am I going to drive? I cant drive a Chevy , but Im not one to be screwed and take it either . Im going to call the dealer where I bought my used Merc to see if what Ive read tonight is true , that Ford is refusing to replace this highly defective part because I missed some dishonestly narrow window of opportunity being ignorant to the fact that I have a PLASTIC INTAKE MANIFOLD. If its true-----Im not gonna be nice to be around for awhile. And there will be repercussions