What exactly is a Falcon?

joihan777

It's a full-sized rear wheel drive car. The closest analogue currently in the US is the Pontiac G8, which also began life as an Australian full-size RWD car, except that the Falcon (and the G8's relative, whose name escapes me) sell in much higher volumes than the G8, a limited-production model, will, because of Australia's differing vehicle tastes. (They like big engines in big RWD cars--imagine that.)

They sell 50,000/year in a country of 20 million.

Add in derivatives, that's 70,000

Available as a Sedan, LWB Luxury, Pickup and a CUV derivative.

Not bad for a small country.

Falcon

Length: 194

Width: 73.4

Height: 56.8

Wheelbase: 111.3

Track Front: 61.1

Track Rear: 61.8

Leg Room Front: 42.7

Leg Room Rear: 38.6

Shoulder Room Front: 59.5

Shoulder Room Rear: 58.7

Head Room Front: 39.7

Head Room Rear: 41

Hip Room Front: 57.5

Hip Room Rear: N/A

Fairlane/LTD

Length: 202.8

Width: 73.4

Height: 56.8

Wheelbase: 114.9

Track Front: 61.1

Track Rear: 61.8

Leg Room Front: 42.7

Leg Room Rear: 42.3

Shoulder Room Front: 59.5

Shoulder Room Rear: 58.7

Head Room Front: 39.7

Head Room Rear: 41

Hip Room Front: 57.5

Hip Room Rear: N/A

Edited by jpd80

Sorry, I know some of you know what a Falcon is, but I haven't a clue.

I've seen the Aussie website and seen the Falcon pages, even the splashpage proclaiming the Aussie racing team winning with a Falcon.

But what is the US equivalent of the Falcon, if any?

Chrysler 300 is probably the closest in image and architecture ...

performance oriented, FR, full-size sedans. Probably a tad smaller than Taurus in SWB form and a tad larger than Taurus in LWB form. Ford plans to use the platform in SWB for a true CTS/5series competitor (MKR) and in LWB flagship sedans for both brands (CV, TownCar). a special version will span the next Mustang.

Igor

The way I see it, I say Ford should let law enforcement decide which vehicle they prefer...a LHD-version of the Australian Falcon or a Crown Victoria modified to their modern needs. A Ford RWD sedan has to win over law enforcement or it's not going to be profitable enough to keep it around. Behind law enforcement, the Panther's North American retail customer base and the Middle Eastern retail base should be next. Panther enthusiasts do not need another Taurus in terms of styling. It needs to be decisively 'American' in styling or you (Ford) are going to ruin whatever car you commit to for the next decade or so.

I am not a LEO and I can't speak for a LEO, but I do have the inclination that what they would want, I would want in either the Panther or Panther replacement. Many of them appreciate the Crown Victoria as it is right now. Certainly, the power of the Hemi Charger factors in but its mostly because its a viable alternative just like the Chevy Tahoe Police package.

To me, it makes more sense from a business perspective not to risk alienating your principle customers and that is the law enforcement fleet. Furthermore, if the Panthers sell well in the Middle East right now, they have an appreciation for the cars' basic American styling. What that tell me is that Ford would be absolutely crazy to make an abrupt change of platforms without weighing in with the customers who buy in large quantities.

Most critics of the Crown Victoria and its siblings aren't going to buy a full-size RWD sedan anyway, so Ford should not really give that much consideration to those merely expressing their opinions when they don't even drive a Panther. Panthers equate to repeat business. Keep in mind that they continued to build the Panthers all the way through the era where RWD sedans died out and only recently did Chrysler rejoin the game.

Now, in summary, I'll say that if the Panther represents fairly low investment, considerable profit and repeat business, they'd shoot themselves in the foot in the N.A. market making a decision to drop it. The Panther already has a loyal customer base and an established image as dependable, tough and comfortable. It has become my own opinion that Ford should keep the frame as-is and redo everything else for the sake of staying modern and appealing both to law enforcement, Middle Eastern customers and the loyal North American buyers who like them.

Edited by Traveler

I have yet to find what the Panther sales in the Middle East. Could someone enlighten me? Does Ford publicize these numbers?

Sales sheets from here? Doubt you can find them. They probably hide them in a cave or something.

IIRC, the Saudi dealer was promoting itself as Ford's largest dealer.

• 2 months later...

Joihan,the Australian Ford Falcon is a RWD 4 door car that also comes in as a wagon and ute form (pick up to you guys ) .

They have a line 6 (4.0L) as well as the 5.4 V8 .

The Pontiac ,or better known as a Commodore over here is very much on par with the Falcon as they go head to head over here on the road and on the race track (known as the V8 Supercars )so yer that will be the best thing to compare it to as the Chrysler 300 is a little bigger but smaller than a Fairlane which is based on the falcon.

I had a 1967 Falcon all through college, from 1972-1976. I bought it from a little old lady for $700.00. It had 43,000 miles on it when I bought it, and 150,000 miles on it when I left it at the junk yard. The only option it had was an automatic transmission. The engine was the 200cid 6cyl. I installed a Pioneer 8-track tape deck and a pair of speakers. I would rank it as one of the best, most dependable cars I have owned. I'm from Portland, ME. originally, and went to college in Syracuse, NY. It got me through many a snow storm and other adventures, going back and forth to Portland, as well as around NY state. It looked like the enclosed picture, minus the hood scoop and such.

1967-Ford-Falcon.jpg

There was so much weed smoked in that car that you just had to sit in it, and you'd get a buzz.

My junior year of college, some schmuck stole the 8-track, ''forcing'' me to buy a cassette deck to replace it (a Realistic, from Radio Shack). Many fond memories with that car....I wish Ford still made it, or, better yet, bring the Australian version here..(I know, it would be too expensive for the sheep...)

Edited by CougarXR7

• 2 weeks later...

The current BF series 2 Ford Falcon, as Wizbang stated, is a 4.0L inline 6 producing 192 KW of power. We are also able to purchase a turbo version of the same car which produces 240 Kw of power,this is called the Falcon XR6 Turbo. We can then take the next step and purchase an Ford Falcon F6 Typhoon, this thing produces 270Kw of power and 550 Nm of Torque and has been proclaimed by many of here in Australia as "the V8 killer".

The Falcon also comes in two 5.4L V8 formats, the Falcon XR8 which produces 260 kw of power and the Falcon GT which produces 302 kw of power. I have placed a picture of the XR8 and GT below.

falcon-xr8-2.jpg

hero_gt.jpg

Ford Australia will be replacing the inline 6 in the next few years with a V6.

I have yet to find what the Panther sales in the Middle East. Could someone enlighten me? Does Ford publicize these numbers?

My internet searches for Ford Middle East's panther sales figures have proven fruitless.

Ford ME always state increases in percentges but give no numbers.

Panther is a very sore point with Aussie Ford fans, it derailed the export hopes of the cancelled Orion Long wheelbase Fairlane/LTD twins.

Ford NA continues to opt out of a brilliant and versatile RWD platform with a proven track record.

That's my rant for the day...

Edited by jpd80

The current BF series 2 Ford Falcon, as Wizbang stated, is a 4.0L inline 6 producing 192 KW of power. We are also able to purchase a turbo version of the same car which produces 240 Kw of power,this is called the Falcon XR6 Turbo. We can then take the next step and purchase an Ford Falcon F6 Typhoon, this thing produces 270Kw of power and 550 Nm of Torque and has been proclaimed by many of here in Australia as "the V8 killer".

The Falcon also comes in two 5.4L V8 formats, the Falcon XR8 which produces 260 kw of power and the Falcon GT which produces 302 kw of power. I have placed a picture of the XR8 and GT below.

falcon-xr8-2.jpg

hero_gt.jpg

Ford Australia will be replacing the inline 6 in the next few years with a V6.

S-W-E-E-T. That second pic looks like something that prefers to eat BMWs alive....!