Ford Braking Performance "woes"

Problem is junk-science got rid of asbestos(and thousands of other superior products) to save the lives of lab rats.

Whoa? what??

He's talking about Asbestos brakes, which are no longer sold because of the risk of lung cancer to people who are regularly exposed to brake dust (and other asbestos products which combined cause 2000 deaths a year with a type of cancer that has only ever been shown to be caused by asbestos).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are buying a car you don't get to choose your reaction times.

If you have bad reaction times buy a better braking car. Or if they are really bad just don't drive. A F-250 almost t-boned me today as I was making a left. He ran the red light. Good reaction times saved me from being seriously injured.

When it comes to braking distances, I think we need to look a little further into the issue than just the brakes themselves. I've noticed over the past several years that Ford has generally gone to cheaper tires on several of its models. This seems to correspond a great deal with when trends of bad brake performance started. Tires alone can make a substantial difference in braking distance -- especially in some of the closer comparisons where the Ford product is only 10-12 feet off most of the competition. Something to consider...

Many of Ford's N.A. vehicles are lacking EBD, EBA features which are becoming common in many of the other manufacturers vehicles, which will make a difference in braking response.

That could definitely be a factor as well. I believe Ford is pushing to get it added to all of their vehicles soon, along with ESC. The hold-up on a lot of their vehicles are the antiquated 3-channel ABS systems they use where most vehicles now are using 4-channel.