Ford divisions' earnings/losses?

So...I have this guy on MT insisting that Lincoln isn't making any money. Given how much Lincoln benefits from the platforms and economies-of-scale from lesser Ford/Mercury products, I figure Lincoln stands a better chance of being in the black than the other NA divisions.

Any way I can look this up?

So...I have this guy on MT insisting that Lincoln isn't making any money. Given how much Lincoln benefits from the platforms and economies-of-scale from lesser Ford/Mercury products, I figure Lincoln stands a better chance of being in the black than the other NA divisions.

Any way I can look this up?

Ford doesn't break down division earnings/losses.

However, you can be ASSURED that Lincoln is very profitable, beyond a shadow of a doubt. There are two aspects to profitability, which are fixed costs and variable costs. Most of Ford's North American losses are due to rising healthcare and pension costs. Lincoln is not an operation independant of Ford, so there are two ways to look at it. One, to take the fixed costs of plants producing Lincolns, and assign Lincoln some of the cost. Or, simply take the costs of developing Lincolns, and the variable manufacturing costs, and subtract them from the revenue of Lincoln sales.

In either case, I would guarentee Lincoln makes a profit.

The profits just off the T Car alone could proboly carry the whole divsion.

Lincoln makes money no worries.

Matthew

You forgot the Navigator, if Ford can make 5 ~ 6K on a standard Expedition, I think they can easily make 15K on a Navi.

Lincoln losing money is kind of very hard, not with their curret state (lineup of rebadged Fords).

The profits just off the T Car alone could proboly carry the whole divsion.

Lincoln makes money no worries.

Matthew

Rather than worrying about losing Jaguar and Land Rover - take the cash and invest it

in Lincoln and Mercury. I think Ford would do much better channelling it efforts into

building up these brands.

I love it how you guys assume profits per vehicle. I get a kick out of it every time it's brought up. The way you guys figure it, Ford should have profited Billions last year. :hysterical:

Yeah, like Ford has to pay for product development and new equipment before a car rolls off the production line.

To say equipment is long paid for is a bit of a falicy - there's always changes and maintenance issues.

With the new Ford/Getrag AWD transmissions coming, could a Lincoln 3.7 fit in the X-type? That gets it to 300+ hp with a 6-speed.
The X-Type isn't being sold in the US next year, and some countries would penalize it harshly because of its large (>3.0L) engine. I don't think Ford would bother.

This is a good question with no easy answer. Lincoln's development costs must be low because all they do is take the Ford badge off a car and put the Lincoln one on. OK I jest but essentially part commonality is abnormaly high. So in a technical sense they probably are more profitable than unprofitable. However if Lincoln had to build the equivalent of a Range Rover by itself, maintain it's own R&D staff, design it's own bespoke components etc then I think it would probably make a loss. So the next question is can Lincoln develop it's own cars and then sell them like Land Rover or Jag or Volvo does to a greater or lesser extent? Not sure but SAAB struggles to make any money at all on similar volume levels to Lincoln and it has historically been more independent than Lincoln.....

This is a good question with no easy answer. Lincoln's development costs must be low because all they do is take the Ford badge off a car and put the Lincoln one on. OK I jest but essentially part commonality is abnormaly high. So in a technical sense they probably are more profitable than unprofitable. However if Lincoln had to build the equivalent of a Range Rover by itself, maintain it's own R&D staff, design it's own bespoke components etc then I think it would probably make a loss. So the next question is can Lincoln develop it's own cars and then sell them like Land Rover or Jag or Volvo does to a greater or lesser extent? Not sure but SAAB struggles to make any money at all on similar volume levels to Lincoln and it has historically been more independent than Lincoln.....

Why the hell would you want to have sales like Jaguar?

You surely mean have a Range Rover designed and PAID FOR by BMW, and then using engines designed by Ford?

Land Rover would be long bankrupt without its corporate benefactors.