I'd rather have something that comes closer to fitting under a hood reasonably. While the V10 may not be gas-friendly, I like that concept better. Because of the low hood clearance, its going to be tough getting the right motor under the hood and it look good. Now that 650 hp CVPI car fit nicely, but that's a bit unrealistic for this car. For those that want to see it, its posted in the Panther forum.

I'd rather have something that comes closer to fitting under a hood reasonably. While the V10 may not be gas-friendly, I like that concept better. Because of the low hood clearance, its going to be tough getting the right motor under the hood and it look good. Now that 650 hp CVPI car fit nicely, but that's a bit unrealistic for this car. For those that want to see it, its posted in the Panther forum.

Courtesy of Downunder 302Kw (400hp) 5.4 4V:

cobra-004.jpg

Oh, my, that's pretty!

So, do you think they have a couple of strong guys on the line to pull on the shock towers, then deck the engine and let the towers snap back? The tolerance between the towers and the covers/valve train appear to be exceptionally tight. Looks like the covers were sculpted to fit. Do you know if this engine is installed on line?

Oh, my, that's pretty!

So, do you think they have a couple of strong guys on the line to pull on the shock towers, then deck the engine and let the towers snap back? The tolerance between the towers and the covers/valve train appear to be exceptionally tight. Looks like the covers were sculpted to fit. Do you know if this engine is installed on line?

Austin,

Here's a little something for you:

The engine bay was originally designed for the 302 but Ford NA did the

switcheroo and cancelled halfway through the 1998-2008 product cycle.

It's a tight fit with about 6mm clearance (1/4") - a necessary violation of procedure.

5.4 4V has been installed like that for 5 years without a hitch, it's a little close

but unlike wedge head motors, the headers tuck underneath away from the towers.

The next Falcon engine bay is a bit wider so as not to incur head office wrath.

I'm sure that 5.4 4V would slip between the wider tracked panther cars with ease.

There's something special about having a small production semi hand-built engine.

Edited by jpd80

Does it meet US emmissions?

DOHC4V5.4V8 might be cool :shades:

Ford declined to make the investment to put the 4.6l 3v and 6-speed in the Panthers when the TC was moved to STAP. And STAP is effectively limited to one shift as there is nothing that could be done to the Panthers to get them back to 2 shifts (and you don't want to be in "no man's land" less than 2 shifts).

That tells me that there will be no powertrain actions during the relatively short remaining life of the Panther.

Nice. But it could do without the whine. As for a powertrain upgrade for the Panthers, the cars are going to make it past 2010, right? Given powertrain upgrades in other vehicles, wouldn't Ford have to go out of its way to keep on making the 2-valve 4.6L V8 and 4-speed combo for the Panthers? Consider the '09 F-150. That new 6-speed auto is going to be used across the board, right? That means the only user of the old 4R transmission will be the Panther cars for at least a couple years. Wouldn't it make sense for Ford to reduce the number of unique transmissions they're making?

Edited by MN12Fan

Does it meet US emmissions?

DOHC4V5.4V8 might be cool :shades:

Not intended to at the moment but if you can put a S/C 5.4 4V into a Mustang and meet US emissions, surely Ford NA can do their own naturally aspirated version that would.

Just thought I'd show you what we've been using for near on 5 years.

I thought it would be old enough now to qualify as acceptable fitment to the panther :stirpot:- LOL