Autoblog drives new Malibu

P71_CrownVic

I dunno. They look very similar to me.

Regardless of if you think they look similar, everything is 100% unique with the ES's design compared to the Camry, not one piece of sheetmetal or window the same. Linolns is little more on the outside than a new nose and tail compred to the fusion.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, its not different car, but certainly a different driving experience. As for the gauges, now we're really getting picky....

Oh, now we are getting picky. Are you that high on the Ford Kool Aid that you can't see that the gauges are the same? Look at all of the new Fords with that SAME cluster:

Flex:

Ford-Flex_2009_photo_12.jpg

Focus:

Ford-Focus_2008_photo_14.jpg

Escape:

Ford-Escape_2008_photo_09.jpg

Edge:

Ford-Edge_2007_photo_12.jpg

Super Duty:

Ford-F-350_Super_Duty_2008_photo_07.jpg

MK-Whatever:

Lincoln-MKZ_2007_photo_07.jpg

Mariner:

Mercury-Mariner_2008_photo_0a.jpg

Milan:

Mercury-Milan_2006_photo_07.jpg

And you can add the Taurus, Taurus X, and Sable.

Oh, now we are getting picky. Are you that high on the Ford Kool Aid that you can't see that the gauges are the same? Look at all of the new Fords with that SAME cluster:

Flex:

Ford-Flex_2009_photo_12.jpg

Focus:

Ford-Focus_2008_photo_14.jpg

Escape:

Ford-Escape_2008_photo_09.jpg

Edge:

Ford-Edge_2007_photo_12.jpg

Super Duty:

Ford-F-350_Super_Duty_2008_photo_07.jpg

MK-Whatever:

Lincoln-MKZ_2007_photo_07.jpg

Mariner:

Mercury-Mariner_2008_photo_0a.jpg

Milan:

Mercury-Milan_2006_photo_07.jpg

And you can add the Taurus, Taurus X, and Sable.

What I'm saying is that they all have different faces, so who cares? The super duty gauges are different by the way.

Regardless of if you think they look similar, everything is 100% unique with the ES's design compared to the Camry, not one piece of sheetmetal or window the same. Linolns is little more on the outside than a new nose and tail compred to the fusion.

Whats the sense to change the sheetmetal (which is expensive vs. changing gauge faces) if it looks similar to the cheaper model? Doesn't make one lick of sense there...but we are just spiting hairs here and the vast majority of people who actually buy them don't even notice.

sigh

Edited by silvrsvt

It's still a gussied up Camry which is everyone's core complaint about the MKZ so stop this lame-ass pretending that the ES350 is something else.

You didn't have to post them. i would say the addition of those two extra indicators makes them different. :shades:

About as different as the rear door of a Fusion and mKz...oh wait...those are exactly the same.

2nd try:

About as different as Coke and Pepsi. Both Cola, both come in an aluminum can, both are packaged in a cardboard box, both go nuts if you try to introduce a Mentos to them. They just taste slightly different

About as different as the rear door of a Fusion and mKz...oh wait...those are exactly the same.

2nd try:

About as different as Coke and Pepsi. Both Cola, both come in an aluminum can, both are packaged in a cardboard box, both go nuts if you try to introduce a Mentos to them. They just taste slightly different

Hence, they are different.

However, they are close substitutes for each other. Which in essence, means most people are indifferent to the two. This is bad if people are indifferent to a Ford or a Lincoln.

You really don't know much about pop drinkers do you. The coke drinkers I know will not drink pepsi.

Edited by suv_guy_19

HOLY SHIT!!!

THIS THREAD IS USELESS TO READ!!!!

True, but I have come away impressed with Ford's gauge cluster. It looked good in all the photos, and was functional. I don't see any reason why they should have completely different guages for each car/brand. The face change does the trick nicely. Commonality also helps in keeping build quality high.

As for the sheet metal: I DO think they look the same.

Lincoln should have unique sheet metal, not just a cool grill and tail. I've been poking fun at my GM freinds since the late 70's about this very practice.

Bare in mind, I will probably never buy one of the cars discussed here. I'm still P.O.ed at Ford for killing my beloved LS.

Edited by Hemiman

The ES350 doesn't share any sheet metal at all with the Camry, the MKZ shares its sheetmetal with the Fusion, it has the same windows also, so a very big difference. You have GM willing to invest to change the sheetmetal completely between the Malibu and Aura, but Ford couldn't even be bothered to do so with their laughable luxury division.

It was a simple question, I'm fully aware of the common components utilized on the MKZ (it's rather obvious). The ES350 shares bits and pieces of sheetmetal and greenhouse with the Camry, looking from A to B pillar aside from mirror placement and a chrome strip at the bottom of the door it is the same friggin door used on the ES. Having said that Lexus did go over and beyond what Ford did to differ the ES from the Camry.

What I find laughable around here is the expectation for a cash stripped company to invest money in a vehicle that doesn't sell in enough volume to return the investment costs in a timely manner. Sorry but these sorts of things just don't happen over night. Look at how the ES started off in the 90s, or better yet how the CTS entered the market. Both cars had just about as many flaws as the MKZ does, but because it is Ford we get to bitch about it and ignore every other variable?

This is a good looking car. I just hope GM has the quality up to par with Camry or Accord (Yes, i know Camry has its recent problems but it is still better built than the domestics - whether real or perceived).

Actually, the Fusion is better than all 3 in terms of quality, but you know, if you wanted to just conveniently leave that out.

I know, but usually people hate one or the other, and many will only drink one.

Your nuts.

If I go to a restaurant, and order a Coke (or Pepsi), most of the time I get this response, "Is Pepsi (or Coke) OK?" Of course Pepsi is OK...I want COLA.

Yeah, they are different...but they are the same thing...umm...............yeah.