Any Regrets?

Xerxes12

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DTP, let me try and answer that one for you.

1. Your age= any decision to retire. Most people don't contemplate retirement until 60 or older. Some can retire from Ford by 48. If you sit home and do nothing, inflation will eat you alive by 60. Don't think so? Look back at what retirees 10yrs ago received, and see if you would like to try and live off that income today!!!!! Once more, you have to pay a penalty if you try and get into your 401K before 58 1/2 I believe it is, and who the hell wants to pay the government a 10% penalty of YOUR OWN MONEY, lol.

2. Retiring from Ford is predicated upon their survival. Are you POSITIVE they will be ok and keep paying? Until they turn REASONABLE PROFIT, everything is still a roll of the dice.

3. Unless you were in a huge overtime job, you actually make MORE money than you ever did at Ford by holding an even decent job. You figure it out!!!!!!! How much does the regular Ford worker take home for 40hrs after union dues etc, and how much does a retiree take home in 4 week months. How much does that retiree have to make BEFORE he passes up a person only working 40hrs, and he certainly isn't going to take a job where he works as hard as riding the ironhorse............unless he is daffy! Ergo, he/she gets paid more for doing less, and probably doesn't have to work 40hrs if he/she makes a decent salary.

4. Unless you are old, most of the people DID NOT retire to retire!!!! If Ford woulda been in good shape, it is highly unlikely most of them would've left at all; certainly not for quite awhile. No, most left because of reason number 2. They had no intention of retiring, but things being what they were, they didn't retire, just shifted their employment elsewhere.

I have personally talked to a handfull of people who retired under the buyout, and have not found 1 yet who did not take another job.

Therefore, retirement from Ford is just the word used. They get 2 checks, one from Ford, and one from their current employer. Most still have their visions set on quitting work between 60 and 62, just like they did at Ford. It is just for the time being, they collect money from 2 sources, one they earned for 28 to 30yrs of the past, and the hrs they work in the present. Most are happy with the current income situation, and enjoy an easier lifestyle too for it.

Thanks for explaining to DTP that leaving as a retiree from Ford does not equal retirement. I gambled on taking the money and working elsewhere or sticking around and working at a company that was possibly leaving North America. With my 36k retirement and benefits, I have a cushion, but the 100k years as a tradesman look like a thing of the past. As a Union Pacific employee, I can opt out of their health insurance, so they are paying me $100/mo. instead of deducting $150 or more /mo. I plan on working for 8-10 more years and hoping my health holds up. Keep posting Whosure, you seem to be right on the money with your op-eds!

I can't believe Dark 271 is not in here telling you guys this is current employees only. :hysterical::stirpot::hysterical:

LOL, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE, NON EMPLOYEE,

R U a tradesperson? Sounds like it with those huge expectations...Ford paying a hourly person CEO wages :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I think the packages were good for those ready to retire, those with 28yrs- have skill- age to another job, or those whose spouce works there and take 140k or someone young and take the education.

Your right, if you are not ready then you should stay on and work....thats what is so nice about it. Unfortunately there were many that took it for the wrong reason and they are sitting broke right now!! :cry:

I hope all that took it are doing ok and I can't wait until I can say that I am retired!! I will get another job if and when I leave but it will be at a golf course and it will be on my own terms!!

As I said, Cap... something on par with, not the same as. Do you really need it explained to you? Do you really feel that an hourly person who has devoted decades to Ford is not as deserving as a fired CEO, percentagewise? Perhaps your own self-esteem may be lacking, but that is a monster only you can fight. I'm willing to bet that your mindset is of those in management whom felt that from all the money taken from hourly in 2005, it was time for a nice little 10-13K bonus for salary. Too bad that even the Union couldn't save you from such a blatant disregard or our sacrifices. Yea, I know... I shouldn't bitch, we got our $500 dollar bonus, didn't we?

To correct you further, I never said it had anything to do with "if you are not ready then you should stay on and work" Why would you insinuate such? My point, to repeat, was that it was absolutely silly to give up what I've built up over the years for the crumbs Ford tossed our way. It wasn't worth it to me then and I highly doubt Ford will get me to go with their 'generous' offering in the future. That is just me, although there are many others of my age who feel the same.

There is one point of yours I agree with. I also hope that all whom took the buyout are doing ok. I know of some whom are. Regrettably, the many are not. Either way, it is a learning experience for all. Optimistically, I do feel that the best is yet to come for Ford. I plan on being there when that roller coaster goes up again.

Since this last buyout program wasn't the first offered to me in the 30+ years I've been at Ford, I treated it as all the others: not worth the time to even consider it. I felt it was silly, at age 53, to give up 5 weeks vacation, all the bennies and holidays for a monthly pension that I can gross in a working week. The crumbs they threw at us as an incentive were laughable. Give me 35K to "retire"? Shoot, I make that in 3 months easy. Give me 140K to "retire" without bennies and a pension that won't be worth squat in 5 years? Go seek the more gullible. If Ford were truly serious about getting me out, they better come up with a realistic plan. Something on par with how they treat fired CEO's (re:Nasser). Give me 2 years of my top gross pay, a decent pension and a F-350 King Ranch. Ford would recover payback in under 3 years on a deal as this. I would consider such a deal as Ford being serious and deem it acceptable. Will Ford ever consider such a deal? Nope, they are too entrenched in the "We on the mountaintop need only to look down on those in the valley" mindset. Therefore, I'll stay at Ford until a normal retirement age of 62 or so... costing Ford another million or so in the process. That doesn't include the monies they'll be paying out in the various plant to plant transfers they'll be giving me in the future. My gypsy ass has already worked at 4 different plants and is ready for more.

Are those whom took the buyout regretting it? Some aren't, many are. Talked with numerous union reps who've told me of the many who took buyouts. Many of them are calling and complaining of how the money is spent, spouses have divorced them and they are stuck in real world jobs of 10-12 bucks an hour. It got to a point that our Chairman was saying he would get them their job back, but they would have to pay the money back. No takers, so far.

Maybe my decision to leave would have been different if I had been bounced around to four plants. I wouldn't have moved to another state if CAP had closed. Pension won't be worth squat in five years? What are you going to have when you're 62?

R U a tradesperson? Sounds like it with those huge expectations...Ford paying a hourly person CEO wages :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I think the packages were good for those ready to retire, those with 28yrs- have skill- age to another job, or those whose spouce works there and take 140k or someone young and take the education.

Your right, if you are not ready then you should stay on and work....thats what is so nice about it. Unfortunately there were many that took it for the wrong reason and they are sitting broke right now!! :cry:

I hope all that took it are doing ok and I can't wait until I can say that I am retired!! I will get another job if and when I leave but it will be at a golf course and it will be on my own terms!!

Don't wish your life away. When you retire, you are old. Those things that you dream of doing may not seem so attractive then. Spend more time with the kids? As the song says, "The cat's in the cradle." They will only visit you out of guilt or if they want a free babysitter. Nobody wants to spend a lot of time around old people. Live for to-day, because tomorrow will be worse.

Edited by Trimdingman

We were able to get our skilled trades into the surrounding local skilled trades and brought back as outside contractors in order to run. At the same time we hired new long term TFT's off the street and were able to bring back those members that took the hundred thousand as rehires.

We continued to look at our long term possibilities and it didn't look good. We noticed the federal government extended the side crash test until 2012 or so and saw the business case to present to the company that up until the middle of 2009 we could complete and make money.

We submitted the business case and with the contract we were granted a few things never done before... we receive and extention to stay open until Septmeber 2009...an exception to the long term temporary employee letter of understanding, meaning our temps cound work longer than one year.. this exception also maintained their wage progression at the higher level...we suggested to the international that long term temporary members, including rehires receive the signing bonus and we got that... we requested the xmas bonus, but no word as of yet... and we requested the performance bonus for the first two years... no word yet

I am Jim Eagle, the Chairman of one great local, UAW local 879.

We have done so much, with so little, that I feel we can almost do anything with nothing. When the new hires came in they had no guarantees. No they won't get hired, but they have a chance if Ford does hire in the future according to the letter for Twin Cities that is now part of the national contract. No our rehires will not get the chance to be rehired, because they took a package and cut ties with ford, but we did get them back for awhile, until 2009. Things that have and would not have happened had we not tried.

It's not the thanks that I and the rest of our Union Leadership is looking for, its the idea that we have and continue to try and get more for our members, and the need for our temporary members to understand that it was difficulty to accomplish but we did it all for them.

]I for one thank you and Local 879 leadership for their insight and determination in working tirelessly for the membership. I know I do not stand alone in recognizing all you have acheived. We remain open another year, who knows what happens past third quarter 09? As ypu have already shown us, both you and Tom are pretty good at pulling off the impossible.Keep those chins up! It is todays what about me mentality you are being battered by. Again, you have my respect and thanks.[/i

Edited by sista

We were able to get our skilled trades into the surrounding local skilled trades and brought back as outside contractors in order to run. At the same time we hired new long term TFT's off the street and were able to bring back those members that took the hundred thousand as rehires.

We continued to look at our long term possibilities and it didn't look good. We noticed the federal government extended the side crash test until 2012 or so and saw the business case to present to the company that up until the middle of 2009 we could complete and make money.

We submitted the business case and with the contract we were granted a few things never done before... we receive and extention to stay open until Septmeber 2009...an exception to the long term temporary employee letter of understanding, meaning our temps cound work longer than one year.. this exception also maintained their wage progression at the higher level...we suggested to the international that long term temporary members, including rehires receive the signing bonus and we got that... we requested the xmas bonus, but no word as of yet... and we requested the performance bonus for the first two years... no word yet

I am Jim Eagle, the Chairman of one great local, UAW local 879.

We have done so much, with so little, that I feel we can almost do anything with nothing. When the new hires came in they had no guarantees. No they won't get hired, but they have a chance if Ford does hire in the future according to the letter for Twin Cities that is now part of the national contract. No our rehires will not get the chance to be rehired, because they took a package and cut ties with ford, but we did get them back for awhile, until 2009. Things that have and would not have happened had we not tried.

It's not the thanks that I and the rest of our Union Leadership is looking for, its the idea that we have and continue to try and get more for our members, and the need for our temporary members to understand that it was difficulty to accomplish but we did it all for them.

]I for one thank you and Local 879 leadership for their insight and determination in working tirelessly for the membership. I know I do not stand alone in recognizing all you have acheived. We remain open another year, who knows what happens past third quarter 09? As ypu have already shown us, both you and Tom are pretty good at pulling off the impossible.Keep those chins up! It is todays what about me mentality you are being battered by. Again, you have my respect and thanks.[/i

Is it election time??

You have done a great job and I wouldn't wish your situation on my worst enemy. As far as rehires...they shouldn't get sht! They bought down their wages and do not deserve anything!! They could have remained Ford employees until the end. They took a buy out package and should have moved on. The new employees we (UAW) should be working hard at getting them more. they deserve every bit of what we get...bonuses, raises, signing bonus and better benefits!

I know your stituation is very different than most and I hope you get extended longer and the plants product life extended and continued , but I am not in favor of buying down wages. I understand that we need to create a business case for Ford to survive, but buying down wages I do not agree with. I am also not exactly happy with the entry level, but it does get Ford their business case to survive and also gives some new hires the opportunity to get their foot in the door with a small glimmer of hope down the pipeline! Again nice job and good luck to you and your members!!

Edited by Captain723

Do any of the ex-employees wish they had stayed? I still wonder if I made the right decision when I took the $35k and retirement. Can't change the decision, but can't help thinking that maybe we weren't given honest info from the company and the union. Seems that a lot of this new contract was negotiated before the buyouts were offered. I now work for the Union Pacific where a two tier wage system has been in effect for some time. New employees at the UP can never achieve wage parity with the employees that worked for the CNW railroad, so the UP encourages the oldtimers to leave and rumors of buyouts are heard. Sounds a lot like Ford to me. :reading: :stats:

Yesterday, I talked w/ 2 employees who took buyouts. Both of them had somewhere between 10-15 years seniority. One in trades, the other production.

The ex-production person said several ex-employees were considering a lawsuit (against Ford, the UAW, or both, I don't know) b/c after they left, the company

announced our plant would stay open until y/e 2010, and not close in 2008.

IMHO, everyone made a personal decision at the time. Everyone had the same info. Those of us who stayed, we took a big chance. People who left got a sure thing.

So, I don't think a lawsuit would go anywhere.

Thots, anyone?

Maybe my decision to leave would have been different if I had been bounced around to four plants. I wouldn't have moved to another state if CAP had closed. Pension won't be worth squat in five years? What are you going to have when you're 62?

Look at prices 5 years ago. Gas was 1.46, bread was 1.49, milk 1.49, eggs .89, coffee 2.66. What are todays prices? What will they be 5 years from now? We'll be very lucky if prices just double in 5 years from what they are now. I can see them tripling easily. Many factors are pointing that way. Main one being the emergence of China. Research a little of what is happening in China. Do you know that China has more honor students than we have students in the US? In the US, we have 1.2 cars per person. China has 1 car per 11 people. In 1995, they had 1 car per 27 people. You ready for 15 buck a gallon gas? When it gets there, and it will, what do you think the rippling effect will do to all other goods and services? You think the 3k a month you get from your pension will keep you comfy? Good luck.

What are you going to have when you're 62? My plan is to have my son thru college and well into his career. My home will be paid off when I'm 60. I'll work another 2 years to pileup a few more cd's and bonds (screw TESPHE). My blacksmithing hobby might just be turning into a profitable business by then. I should be able to speak Spanish and Chinese fluently by then. I also hope to be much better at banjo licks by that time. Spend some time with that cute little Plebian from Venus on holodeck 3. These are a few of my plans. Of course, life has a way of getting a deer to jump in front of you from time to time. So, I'll be content if I can just throw cornbread balls at the catfish, sucking on an 8 dollar Miller Lite.

Look at prices 5 years ago. Gas was 1.46, bread was 1.49, milk 1.49, eggs .89, coffee 2.66. What are todays prices? What will they be 5 years from now? We'll be very lucky if prices just double in 5 years from what they are now. I can see them tripling easily. Many factors are pointing that way. Main one being the emergence of China. Research a little of what is happening in China. Do you know that China has more honor students than we have students in the US? In the US, we have 1.2 cars per person. China has 1 car per 11 people. In 1995, they had 1 car per 27 people. You ready for 15 buck a gallon gas? When it gets there, and it will, what do you think the rippling effect will do to all other goods and services? You think the 3k a month you get from your pension will keep you comfy? Good luck.

What are you going to have when you're 62? My plan is to have my son thru college and well into his career. My home will be paid off when I'm 60. I'll work another 2 years to pileup a few more cd's and bonds (screw TESPHE). My blacksmithing hobby might just be turning into a profitable business by then. I should be able to speak Spanish and Chinese fluently by then. I also hope to be much better at banjo licks by that time. Spend some time with that cute little Plebian from Venus on holodeck 3. These are a few of my plans. Of course, life has a way of getting a deer to jump in front of you from time to time. So, I'll be content if I can just throw cornbread balls at the catfish, sucking on an 8 dollar Miller Lite.

I talked with my fortune teller....is this you?

tipping2.jpg