2008 Malibu vs. Fusion

FordBuyer

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of whether or not pcsario is a troll he's exactly right here. People don't care about how many gears the transmission has if it feels more refined, and I feel like a whining engine will stick out even more than the occasional chunky shift. It's the same way that Apple was able, for years, to sell computers with comparably outdated hardware as "high end." The Fusion is a great car, and I love mine, but the Malibu is a game-changer.

We will see about that. Chevy still has big problem getting customers into its showrooms just like Ford does. I doubt if many Camry/Accord/Altima buyers even put Chevy on their radar screen. What I'm worried about is domestic buyer who may have looked at Fusion just skipping Ford and going to Malibu. That is why 2009 Fusion is so important IMO. IMO, the present Fusion is better looking than the new Malibu, probably outhandles it, and with interior and engine upgrade should be able to do battle and be very competitive not only with Malibu which is most important, but be competitive with the big boys in this segement. And another plus is we know Fusion has quality...verdict still out on Malibu as Ford is kicking GM's ass in quality surveys.

We will see about that. Chevy still has big problem getting customers into its showrooms just like Ford does. I doubt if many Camry/Accord/Altima buyers even put Chevy on their radar screen. What I'm worried about is domestic buyer who may have looked at Fusion just skipping Ford and going to Malibu. That is why 2009 Fusion is so important IMO. IMO, the present Fusion is better looking than the new Malibu, probably outhandles it, and with interior and engine upgrade should be able to do battle and be very competitive not only with Malibu which is most important, but be competitive with the big boys in this segement. And another plus is we know Fusion has quality...verdict still out on Malibu as Ford is kicking GM's ass in quality surveys.

The Twin-Force option is going to be very important along with the upgrad to a 2.5 to the new redesign of the Fusion, it is the only place that my Fusion is lacking!

No comparison. The Malibu wins. How can you compare a wonderfully executed specimen like the Malibu to a Fusion that sports a back end lifted straight from the 1994 Accord?? :rolleyes:

Or the Malubu that rips off the R34 Skylines tailights.

Or the Accord that rips off a 1999 Saturn rear end and a 2005 Sonata front end.

(Im not bashing, i saw the Malibu in the flesh today at the auto show and LIKED the car, but lets be fair...)

No comparison. The Malibu wins. How can you compare a wonderfully executed specimen like the Malibu to a Fusion that sports a back end lifted straight from the 1994 Accord?? :rolleyes:

Get real the last real car that Chevy built is finally going to come back into production, the Malibu is a rental car! :hysterical:

Edited by Furious1Auto

The Fusions design, materials and layout is one of it's strong suits! If anything the Edge needs Fusion like composite materials!

The materials are very good. However, the design and layout, while very functional, aren't exactly stylish. With a few tweaks, Ford could correct that very easily and have an interior to complement the great exterior.

BTW, I own an '07 Fusion SEL and I'm very pleased with it but I do recognize there are areas in need of improvement.

You seem to be the minority.

How dare I not conform to the majority! BTW who is the majority MT and C&D?

And yeah, I'd have to agree the the Fusion's interior is well put together with some very nice trim materials but the overall design could use a bit more inspiration (including the leather steering wheel, my SVT Contour had a nicer leather wheel).

Edited by Michael Reynolds

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHAT KIND OF DRUGS ARE YOU DOING???????????????????????????????????

I wouldn't take anything 'it' has to say with a grain of salt. He fails to see what is so wrong with the new Tundra.

Yup! I figured it suffered from a bad case of analretinaloculitus.

That is he can't see because his head is so far up his ars*...

I just couldn't let his comment go untouched. I hope the Chevy sells well, heck I hope it out sells any and all cars. I hope Chevy hits a homer with Impala sales and drives the Asian hoards back into the sea. But people in the USofA have got to buy American to do that, and they don't even go to the American car showroom...sad (shaking head dejectedly).

Okay...lets be fair. The R34 Skyline ripped off it's taillights from a Corvette...which is where GM got the inspiration for the Malibu's taillights.

Well you got me there. Because the C4 Vette (which the Skyline taillights most closely resemble) was definatley an inspiration. Especially for this 1981 model Skyline. It certainly wasnt an evolution of Nissan's OWN heritage that made it into the R34 Styling DNA. Especially seeing as 1981 was 4 model years before the C4 even came out.

EDIT - im not saying GM copied the Skyline, but i AM implying that Nissan did not copy the Vette.

1981_skyline_rear.JPG

Edited by Sixt9coug

The materials are very good. However, the design and layout, while very functional, aren't exactly stylish. With a few tweaks, Ford could correct that very easily and have an interior to complement the great exterior.

BTW, I own an '07 Fusion SEL and I'm very pleased with it but I do recognize there are areas in need of improvement.

Maybe in the interests of keeping the design refreshed but not because the current design is lacking! It beats the hell out of Chrysler's drave sea of formless plastic!

The only weakness that the Edges interior has it tha stupid pinstriped bezel around the radio, a wood grain, color keyed, Carbon fiber, or brushed finish would take care of the problem!

Edited by Furious1Auto

No...see the Malibu and Fusion are in the same class of cars. You can't compare a "large car" to a mid-size car just because they have the same powertrain.

You're right, there's no comparsation. The Taurus is a bigger car and shares the transmission with the Malibu, yet the Malibu manages to get LOWER MPG than the Taurus.

I thought GM was about MPG, what happened? Maybe they should go back to their loud, lame as fuck OHVs with 4-speeds that murder's the engine's sweet spot (if there are any) for MPG.

You're right, there's no comparsation. The Taurus is a bigger car and shares the transmission with the Malibu, yet the Malibu manages to get LOWER MPG than the Taurus.

I thought GM was about MPG, what happened? Maybe they should go back to their loud, lame as fuck OHVs with 4-speeds that murder's the engine's sweet spot (if there are any) for MPG.

You should go back to studying your maps and just stop talking.

Well, he may not know North American geography, but he did get you that time.

LincolnFan is the definition of a childish troll, go look at his post history, you'd think he was somebody from a mental institution that got a hold of the computer. 90% of his arguements are along the same route as "GM teh sucks, the CTS is a POS and everything that isn't a Ford is a POS and sucks"

LincolnFan is the definition of a childish troll, go look at his post history, you'd think he was somebody from a mental institution that got a hold of the computer. 90% of his arguements are along the same route as "GM teh sucks, the CTS is a POS and everything that isn't a Ford is a POS and sucks"

That may be the case but this time, what he said was true: the midsize Malibu gets worse mileage than the full-size Taurus with comparable drivetrains.

Well, he may not know North American geography, but he did get you that time.

Not really. I was referring to the 2007 Malibu...with a 3.5 V6 and a 4-speed. That car gets better mileage than a '08 Taurus. Not by much...but better none-the-less.

Again, my point was that a 4-speed is not necessarily a bad thing.

And, FWIW, I have driven my grandmas '05 Buick Rainier, with the 5.3 V8 (and no DOD), at 70MPH and got between 22 and 22.5 MPG. It gets close to 27 at 55MPH. Not too shabby for a pushrod, OHV engine and a 4-speed.