I'm not so sure. On civilian vehicles I would say so. But by the time you outfit the vehicle with all the LEO goodies, I would think that the CVPI would out perform the 3.9. 0-60 I think would be close. After that I would expect the CVPI to pull.

In regards to the Tahoe, in a high speed pursuit are you sure the Tahoe is gonna be the one in front? Too much drag. I am not debating a drag race here...thats a no brainer.

I could be totally wrong, but....

Impala would pull away from the CV according to numbers. The Tahoe can run just as fast as CV.

I've driven the Impalas and the CV's...If I were going to be in a pursuit I much rather be in a CV....Hands down...More protection and a more solid vehicle....

That is probably true. No police chase should get to 140 MPH anyway. Speed has very little to do with police work. I was simply showing that a V6 can be just as good in the speed department.

It doesn't really matter though...because that isn't really what police work is about.

Depending on the PD's role, it can be very much what it's about. I've got many friends on the RPD and the NYS Troopers. The For the RPD it's not real important. Maybe once a month they get into a high speed chase if that, and then it only lasts a few miles. For the Troopers on the other hand, the high speed pusuit is a job requirement, and they have special training and vehicles just for that task. However ALL of the Troopers I know are trianed in high speed driving techniques and use that training a lot more than you might think.

Either way, they all say that an abundance of power over the perp, helps to end a pusuit quickly. They, for the most part say the CV is adequate on top end but could use another 100hp to get there more quickly.

On top of the high speed pusuit, they like a fast car to get to the scene when a fellow officer radios for help.

Depending on the PD's role, it can be very much what it's about. I've got many friends on the RPD and the NYS Troopers. The For the RPD it's not real important. Maybe once a month they get into a high speed chase if that, and then it only lasts a few miles. For the Troopers on the other hand, the high speed pusuit is a job requirement, and they have special training and vehicles just for that task. However ALL of the Troopers I know are trianed in high speed driving techniques and use that training a lot more than you might think.

Either way, they all say that an abundance of power over the perp, helps to end a pusuit quickly. They, for the most part say the CV is adequate on top end but could use another 100hp to get there more quickly.

On top of the high speed pusuit, they like a fast car to get to the scene when a fellow officer radios for help.

A high speed pursuit should never get to a cars top end. If it gets to a high enough speed, the police are supposed to (at least here) break off and let the guy go hoping they catch him later. It is because it puts the public and the officers in too dangerous a situation. You cannot carry on a high speed pursuit through city streets (and in many cases on the highway) for very long without bad things happening.

Edited by suv_guy_19

All I know if I was a cop and I was in a high speed chase I would sooner be in the CV than the Impala why? Because while chasing after the jackass in the hopped up car if I could wipped out and crashed and in saying that I would rather be in a CV for full body frame protection in a Impala you would be like a pop can NO PROTECTION! Also cops not only have high speed chases but have to use their cars for protection against gun fire. The solid doors of the CV are still more solid than any other SPEED is one thing PROTECTION to our brave police officers is another.

Again if I was a cop and I had the option to go for a CV or even a "bloody" Porsche cop car I would choose a CV when it comes to law enforcement. The CV has always proved itself but I think it could be made even better with a "little tweaking" some creative thought I swear the car could last another 20yrs! As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke why fix it just tweak it up a notch".

And this goes out to Mr. Mullay "Yes we have the police market!" "No police will not go to a Taurus or an Esacpe, the odd Mustang yes". "That's it! If you at Dearborne want to end the CV you had better have a new car in mind that shares the same frame as the CV." Ford had it once but due to "SHITTY" advertising and "price gouging" the replacement fell to the pits! I am talking about the MARAUDER! Bring back this mean B$$ch and do it right!" Just my two cents Ford needs to learn from the public above all learn from Ford's workers trust us we know! Long live the CV and it's child the Marauder! Time for a new generation! :poke:

Again if I was a cop and I had the option to go for a CV or even a "bloody" Porsche cop car I would choose a CV when it comes to law enforcement. The CV has always proved itself but I think it could be made even better with a "little tweaking" some creative thought I swear the car could last another 20yrs! As the old saying goes "if it ain't broke why fix it just tweak it up a notch".

I heard that!

Say what you want to tout the Charger/Magnum, but the reality is that a police car needs ROOM...and Charger doesn't have it. I was shocked when I saw how LITTLE room was left with the full size spare in the back... everything was literally CRAMMED in there when I worked for the Sheriff's Office.

Add a cage to the back seat? No room for prisoner, might as well strap him across the grille like a dead deer.

Crown Vic may not perform as well as Impala in slippery conditions, and may not be as fast as Charger, but it has good speed, handling, and ROOM to be the jack-of-all-trades choice for police work. That's why Ford didn't make huge changes... why fix what isn't broken?

When you consider how QUICK people are to sue police departments after pursuits, it makes no sense to me at all that anyone would want a police car that can drive 150mph. THere's NO NEED for that! Not to mention, on a car without body on frame construction... unibody crap is a death trap in high speeds. That's Dodge for ya. No wonder Mercedes bailed out of owning them.

It's Crown Vic or nothing for me. When I changed departments, the Sheriff still had a 2000 with over 200,000 miles on it, running great. Any Dodges or Chevy's doing that? Didn't think so.

Say what you want to tout the Charger/Magnum, but the reality is that a police car needs ROOM...and Charger doesn't have it. I was shocked when I saw how LITTLE room was left with the full size spare in the back... everything was literally CRAMMED in there when I worked for the Sheriff's Office.

Add a cage to the back seat? No room for prisoner, might as well strap him across the grille like a dead deer.

Crown Vic may not perform as well as Impala in slippery conditions, and may not be as fast as Charger, but it has good speed, handling, and ROOM to be the jack-of-all-trades choice for police work. That's why Ford didn't make huge changes... why fix what isn't broken?

When you consider how QUICK people are to sue police departments after pursuits, it makes no sense to me at all that anyone would want a police car that can drive 150mph. THere's NO NEED for that! Not to mention, on a car without body on frame construction... unibody crap is a death trap in high speeds. That's Dodge for ya. No wonder Mercedes bailed out of owning them.

It's Crown Vic or nothing for me. When I changed departments, the Sheriff still had a 2000 with over 200,000 miles on it, running great. Any Dodges or Chevy's doing that? Didn't think so.

Wow! Spoken from one of our finest in the field. I think in stead of what the Ford employees are saying I think FORD should go right to the men and women in the police force and let them brainstorm as to what they want in the CV! Sure down the road we may loose some of our market to our fellow blood sucker competition but as far as I'm concerned I would sooner have a smaller market, be involved making the cop car and know that what I and my fellow STAP employees are producing are the best to help PROTECT AND SERVE our finest!

And by the way the last thing I want to see in a cop car in the future is a chinease piece of crap "Cherrie" pulling me over. Wow again! Chinease car now being built to undercut everyone 10,000 to buy 10yr warrenty man, a car to kick to the curb on recycle day! HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF! Just like in the electronic age the Japanese had it after they took it from the americans, then the chinease came in at a lower price. Now the car industry is taking a hit first us, then japanese now China and oh, yeah now Korea. It seems we live in a den of theives we give and the rest take. When is North America going to wake up and smell the coffee...well, maybe not until someone pours the coffee on our face! Or tea!

The only real justification for keeping the Panthers around is pleasing the fleet business. I agree, Ford needs to listen to the police, taxi and limo/livery services that WANT to DEPEND on the PANTHERS. Retail customers will likely conform with those same needs as long as the right options and packages are offered to the civilian Panthers out there.

Ford will demonstrate what they think of these customers over the course of the next 3-5 years. If they pull the plug on the Panther, it will send the message that Ford doesn't care about the opinions of their customers. There is no other platform today more suitable for the rigors of police work like the Crown Victoria. For the costs, you couldn't build a more perfect car for the jobs it performs.

The only real justification for keeping the Panthers around is pleasing the fleet business. I agree, Ford needs to listen to the police, taxi and limo/livery services that WANT to DEPEND on the PANTHERS. Retail customers will likely conform with those same needs as long as the right options and packages are offered to the civilian Panthers out there.

Ford will demonstrate what they think of these customers over the course of the next 3-5 years. If they pull the plug on the Panther, it will send the message that Ford doesn't care about the opinions of their customers. There is no other platform today more suitable for the rigors of police work like the Crown Victoria. For the costs, you couldn't build a more perfect car for the jobs it performs.

Well said Traveler.