STAP Body and Paint 11 Hours

bodyman

I wonder what other plants do about 11 hour days and Lunch. In Canada there is Labour laws that state a maximum 5 hours without a eating period. 6:00am-11:00am, 30 minute lunch then 11:30 to 5:30pm.

Eating periods

20. (1) An employer shall give an employee an eating period of at least 30 minutes at intervals that will result in the employee working no more than five consecutive hours without an eating period. 2000, c. 41, s. 20 (1).

Exception

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the employer and the employee agree, whether or not in writing, that the employee is to be given two eating periods that together total at least 30 minutes in each consecutive five-hour period. 2000, c. 41, s. 20 (2).

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?...0117/whole.html

I wonder what other plants do about 11 hour days and Lunch. In Canada there is Labour laws that state a maximum 5 hours without a eating period. 6:00am-11:00am, 30 minute lunch then 11:30 to 5:30pm.

Eating periods

20. (1) An employer shall give an employee an eating period of at least 30 minutes at intervals that will result in the employee working no more than five consecutive hours without an eating period. 2000, c. 41, s. 20 (1).

Exception

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the employer and the employee agree, whether or not in writing, that the employee is to be given two eating periods that together total at least 30 minutes in each consecutive five-hour period. 2000, c. 41, s. 20 (2).

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?...0117/whole.html

You should have brought this up months ago when they announced it instead of now with less then a week to go.

I was just made aware of this, or I would have said something months ago. I still feel contractually we are only obligated to 10 hours a day. What do other people feel about the 11 hour decision???

I say quit whining, when we get 2 shifts back then you can ask for extra lunch breaks. And if you don't like it, then bid into final chasis. And if your feeling hungry, feel free to eat on the line.

That saying is getting a little old. " be thankful you have a job", thats BS. That sounds like a line management used to use over at Freightliner years ago before they were CAW. We are all thankful for our jobs but that does not mean we become complacent in work rules within a unionized enviornment.

I believe that the break time in the agreement will satisfy the requirement in

law. No matter how your break times fall you are going to be off for 30 minutes

in any 5 hour period. I don't like this but it has been brought up in the past.

[/quote}

Our break times EXCEED ministry minimums of 1 ten min break for every 4 hours and 20 min lunch breaks. So good luck getting the ministry on board they'll laugh at us.

As far as working 11 hours in body and paint though, I know I for one am thankful that you guys in those departments are helping save us from working saturdays. Thanks! I sure hope the plan works.

that being said ...what about the contract ?? i belive the limit is 10hrs vollantary after that .............so whats the union saying ? to that or is it like when we lost the reliefmen (i know there back now but at the time it did break the stap agreement)

Be careful what you wish for, cause you might just get your 30 minute break. But then you will have to stay 30 minutes longer. Just like when chasis goes 10 hrs, your really going 10 1/2. But if you need an extra 30 minutes to eat your crap cakes, then maybe you should fight it. Either 6:00am - 5:30 or 6:00am - 6:00pm. you pick em

Be careful what you wish for, cause you might just get your 30 minute break. But then you will have to stay 30 minutes longer. Just like when chasis goes 10 hrs, your really going 10 1/2. But if you need an extra 30 minutes to eat your crap cakes, then maybe you should fight it. Either 6:00am - 5:30 or 6:00am - 6:00pm. you pick em

Your missing the point.

"so whats the union saying ? "

They say nothing.Same old song and dance that we need to adjust to help in the future to secure product.Who the hell knows anymore...as many deals that are made anymore that are against our contract I'd hope to gawd we were going to benefit in the next contract.I'm just losing faith that anyone in the higher ups in the union have the backbone to make these deals that benefit the companies agenda to make sure they help us also.How long do we continue to bendover for the company without getting anything in return?IMHO we should have drawn that line in the sand long ago.

"so whats the union saying ? "

They say nothing.Same old song and dance that we need to adjust to help in the future to secure product.Who the hell knows anymore...as many deals that are made anymore that are against our contract I'd hope to gawd we were going to benefit in the next contract.I'm just losing faith that anyone in the higher ups in the union have the backbone to make these deals that benefit the companies agenda to make sure they help us also.How long do we continue to bendover for the company without getting anything in return?IMHO we should have drawn that line in the sand long ago.

Somebody is benefiting from those loses the company and the union leaders would be my guess.

I dont know your contract but in the US 10 hours is the max execpt in cases of a launch or a model close out ,also refer to critical operations they have the right to work up to 12 hour shifts.

That being said at DTP we are regularly schedualed 10.7 and i believe that was part of the COA's ,but simply put you guys would need more products there or an increase in sales for products you run to get a second shift back, I know that when Wixom went to 1 shift the LS bodyshop area still opperated on a afternoon shift for the following 3 months.

How does the LWB run there am just curious as a former LWBer from wixom from when it started how many are you guys making a night and did any wixom people come there when they started it up ?

whats the union saying ??????

when we worked 12's in cai we would leave early

when there is a p*ssing contest they have to go by the labour laws ......so you would get a lunch at the 10 hour mark ...30 min

The union at Stap right now is a ship without a rudder. No direction, letting everything slide. The commiteemen have more arguements with members than they do management. The 11 hour agreement for body and paint is a VERBAL agreement between the local and Stap management. It overrides all legal WRITTEN contractual agreements that have been in place for X amount of years. The local 1520 VIPs voted in favour of this VERBAL agreement hoping it will pay off at 2008 bargaining. They also assumed that nobody in body or paint would mind because alot of them are already volunteering for 11, 12, 13, ... 16 hour shifts.

Somebody is benefiting from those loses the company and the union leaders would be my guess.

I dont know your contract but in the US 10 hours is the max execpt in cases of a launch or a model close out ,also refer to critical operations they have the right to work up to 12 hour shifts.

That being said at DTP we are regularly schedualed 10.7 and i believe that was part of the COA's ,but simply put you guys would need more products there or an increase in sales for products you run to get a second shift back, I know that when Wixom went to 1 shift the LS bodyshop area still opperated on a afternoon shift for the following 3 months.

How does the LWB run there am just curious as a former LWBer from wixom from when it started how many are you guys making a night and did any wixom people come there when they started it up ?

It hasn't been worked out yet. But they are aiming for 48 cars total between both shifts.

How long do we continue to bendover for the company without getting anything in return?IMHO we should have drawn that line in the sand long ago.

this is so true the line does need to be drawn

all take and no give by the company

this is so true the line does need to be drawn

all take and no give by the company

Let me tell you a little story, way back when we had 2 shifts of 10 hours and 1 hour sperated the shifts. Paint would work 4 hours in the morning then have a 1/2 lunch, then work from 11:30 am for 6 hours untill 5:30 pm then go home. On the night shift it was start at 6:30 pm work 4 hours have a 1/2 hour lunch break from 10:30 pm till 11:00 pm then work 6 hours after lunch untill 5:00 am them go home or some of us worked the 2 hours of overtime untill 7 am. Plus it was a very hot hell hole of 103 degrees F not like the AC comfort of today, Yes progress has been made since the 70's and 80's but the bottem line is we got our 1/2 hour eating period in our 10 hour shift or 12 hour shift

It was not pretty but we did it. The vast majority will do it again. Some will not like it and whin , cry, and complain, but many others have a family to feed and are glad to have a paycheck of $1300.00 a week.

It is a tuff life of an auto worker if you don't like it QUIT

Let me tell you a little story, way back when we had 2 shifts of 10 hours and 1 hour sperated the shifts. Paint would work 4 hours in the morning then have a 1/2 lunch, then work from 11:30 am for 6 hours untill 5:30 pm then go home. On the night shift it was start at 6:30 pm work 4 hours have a 1/2 hour lunch break from 10:30 pm till 11:00 pm then work 6 hours after lunch untill 5:00 am them go home or some of us worked the 2 hours of overtime untill 7 am. Plus it was a very hot hell hole of 103 degrees F not like the AC comfort of today, Yes progress has been made since the 70's and 80's but the bottem line is we got our 1/2 hour eating period in our 10 hour shift or 12 hour shift

It was not pretty but we did it. The vast majority will do it again. Some will not like it and whin , cry, and complain, but many others have a family to feed and are glad to have a paycheck of $1300.00 a week.

It is a tuff life of an auto worker if you don't like it QUIT

Save the war story for the grandkids. They might give a shit!

Alot of valid points here but my question to the union is what are we getting for all of these deals ? I mean we have no promises of a future product etc so why are we bending over backwards every time the company wants to shove the contract up our a**?

the contract has been ignored more times in the last 3 years or so than ever before. Foremen are practically building the tc's by themselves....its a joke...

take the money and run is right because it will only be there for 3-4 more years if we make it that far with the crap going down the line from all dept's