Challengers bringing $20k over sticker

Mark B. Morrow

Michael, and you don't think the new M3 won't be marked up over MSRP? I know of a few stores in my area that will mark them up. Plus, from what I have read, that car should start around $62,000 without any real options and can go over $70,000 with a good amount of equipment.

That's not the principle. A.) No one knows if this car will retain value B.) If I'm going to spend that much money a couple more thousand aint gonna hurt C.) I'd be willing to bet that the German cars will be a bit more well rounded, and from what my understanding the C63 appears to be quite the beast.

FWIW, my parents put a deposit down on an E60 M5 before they came out and walked out of the BMW dealer with the vehicle at sticker.

Wow, my psychic brother.

I too went to my "friendly" Ford dealer yesterday to check out the GT500. Some fat assed salesman came running out of the showroom in an instant, his checkered polyester coat flapping in the breeze (no - I am not making this up).

So after listening to him singing the virtues of it (keep in mind it was locked - he didn't even bring the keys to let me check out the interior!) I asked if the MSRP was what it was being sold for. He then, of course, started off on his spiel about how it was limited edition, yadda, yadda, yadda and the the cost was MSRP + a $10k "market adjustment."

I am very proud of myself at this point, because I did not go off on him, nor let him know that I know Mustangs like the back of my hand. I just patted him on the shoulder and said, "See that?" pointing to my '02 Thunderbird. "THAT is a limited edition car. And I did not pay a "market adjustment" for it, nor will I ever. Especially when it is not a convertible." And with that, I trotted off. :hysterical:

Did you go there to buy one or just kick tires? It's not his fault that's expensive to you. If you were REALLY a GT500 buyer you probably could of sat down with the sales manager and got it at or close to MSRP. He should come by and hover over you at work for a few hours and then talk about how someone could easilly do the same job for $5/hour.

Edited by kevinb120

And unfortunately that is reinforced by state franchise laws that make it ILLEGAL for Ford to control the dealers.

EVERY single dealer has ADM's. You'd be surprised, go to a Suzuki dealer in a lousy part of town that sells mostly second-chance financing and it's not ucommon for ADM's on every window sticker for $2-3K. And do you think you can walk into a Ferrari dealership and order the hottest car and see it in less then a year and a half by paying MSRP?

What you normally do on a car like that is go in, take up there time, test drive it, submit the application, tell them what you'll pay and drive home in your own car. They'll try like the devil to get you in that car, sometimes even letting you drive it home. You let them stew a few days and the sight of that car cluttering their showroom becomes too much to bear and they're calling you up with a fair deal in about three days.

I did that with my 01 Cobra. Two days into negotiations, the sales manager had the audacity to call me up with a bully tactic and I pretty much hung up on him. I was already approved. Next day the saleperson called me and told me my car was washed, vacuumed and ready at the price I had wanted.

uh, I've sold 5 GT500's so far this year, all at 8k over sticker(including a red stripe package which was the least expensive in the country). We never have them sit on the showroom floor. An older lady who bought an edge a few months back and saw a GT500 convertible we had just gotten in and she thought it was cute. The manager said it was $15k over sticker(thats what the adm said on the window) she said ok, wrote a check, and off it went.

Heres one from sep went to a Canadian

100_0554.jpg

this one to florida in august

100_9061.jpg

this one two weeks ago

FRONTPIC.jpg

I dont have pics of the plain white coupe or the black vert anymore though

Now someone needs to help me get rid of THIS!!! I have a bet with the boss and I'm into day 3 of 7 to sell it..

100_2185.jpg

Edited by kevinb120

I never heard much bad about them :shrug: Then again I only do a DX once in a blue moon there... They beat us by one car last month too :finger:

I don't care too much about the ADM's myself, they just flat-pay us $1000 bucks anyway regardless. When I sold GT40's they flat paid $2000, even if there was $50K profit in it. Then again, they were easy to sell and I don't see the boss laying out 27%-30% on that one :)...

I sold an 06 LCF leftover for over $2k under all costs and final pay rebates two months ago, they had a $1000 bonus from the 'house for an 06 sale, $1000 spin from ford and $500 spin from Ford credit-now THAT's working the pay plan :) Thats worth 10 Explorer sales...

Edited by kevinb120

You were selling cars back in the 60s? :hysterical:

Well since Safir GT40 spares who makes their living based on Ford vehicles owns a name Ford can't use and that makes so much sense you just cant say GT without someone getting it wrong. It would be the wrong name anyway. You should drive one sometime. I just get sick of typing GT(40) hundreds of times. It took about 200 emails to sell one. I don't know what's better, the $1000 bucks or getting to fill it up :)

This one went for $180k, came back in for a new inspection recently but the guy only drove it about 150 miles for the whole year. The dude never even took the paper floor mats I threw in it...He has two so I guess he drives the red one

100_8537.jpg

Same day we had this in, 2007 brand new, had a leak and had to get the part from AU as it uses the falcon's rear end. I've never gotten the chance to drive any version of the AC ever :(

100_8535.jpg

I've sold only one Shelby GT and it was at friggin cost, so $125 minideal for all the headaches that comes with selling one, ugh....Id much rather sell a new Focus.

Edited by kevinb120

kevinb120, what you are failing to realize is that what people can afford has nothing at all to do with the value of any vehicle that you sell. That's the same as I get when I'm negotiating to buy something from someone who knows I work at Ford and thinks I'm rich or something. Some how they think that if I make a good living that what ever they are selling is worth more. There is a distinct difference between what I can afford, get financed for, and am whilling to pay. I could walk in to your dealership tomorrow sign and drive but I wont! I never pay retail for anything, if the seller is motivated than we will work out a deal. If he is stubborn and arrogant than he will be keeping his goods. Your going to say "someone will buy it" I don't give a rats a-s because it won't be me unless you can negotiate below retail! Anyone who brags about how much they paid for something is a upity moronic a-shole, the goal is to take pride in how much you can get for as little as you can spend!

Edited by Furious1Auto