OnStar

weriley

What does OnStar do that SYNC and a bluetooth cell can't, other than unlock it of you locked your keys inside?

1. If your in a wreck it can call an ambulance for you.

2. If your vehicle is stolen they can track it and notify the police where it is.

3. You don't always have cell phone coverage and you need it when you need help, e.g. police, fire, ambulance.

2. If your vehicle is stolen they can track it and notify the police where it is.

3. You don't always have cell phone coverage and you need it when you need help, e.g. police, fire, ambulance.

Ford vehicles can already be tracked. Almost all new vehicles have the technology. As for the other parts, yeah, they might be nice, but there are some drawbacks to Onstar as well.

Only helpful if all occupants are incapacitated and there are no passers by. How often does that happen?

That is one of the better features. The new feature that allows the police to slowly stop the vehicle remotely is another good idea although I think the parameters of use are too restrictive.

And exactly how do you think OnStar calls for help? Yep - cell phone. It does not use satellite for outbound communications. It does have a stronger transmitter than a regular hand held cell phone but that's the only advantage.

Number 1 is BAD. I don't necessarily want every fender bender reported to the police. example: Hit a tree out on the farm, don't want the sheriff breathing down my back, don't want to report it to the insurance.

Number 2 is that Onstar requires you to file a police report FIRST then they will allow you to track it or use any of the other features. MOST five-o that takes 24 hours. Does a lot of good in 24 hours. Your car will be in a thousand parts or in Columbia before they would activate the stuff.

As for cell coverage, ANY 911 call HAS to be carried by the nearest tower, regardless of carrier and at no fee. Oh and from what I hear akirby is right... all earth based.

Add to that you have to PAY for the service after your 'trial' is over. Also, what about the un-upgradeable systems (most analog I think) that are now inactive and GM can't/won't upgrade.

Edited by YT90SC

Number 1 is BAD. I don't necessarily want every fender bender reported to the police. example: Hit a tree out on the farm, don't want the sheriff breathing down my back, don't want to report it to the insurance.

Then...don't report it. What does OnStar have to do with it?

Not to mention that I believe that the only time OnStar calls you is when Airbags have been deployed. And what if you hit a tree out on the farm and you are knocked unconscious? Or what if your an older person who doesn't carry a cell phone and your husband in the passenger seat has a heart attack?

OnStar has some pretty good benefits.

• 1 month later...
Or what if your an older person who doesn't carry a cell phone and your husband in the passenger seat has a heart attack?

OnStar has some pretty good benefits.

If that older person doesn't have a cell phone, I really doubt they would be paying for OnStar cell service out of their meager Soc Sec check.