Family Day Statutory Holiday

bbob

Recently, in the last provincial election in Ontario, the liberals promised a new statutory holiday in Ontario if elected. Since they were elected and the legislation has been passed and we have our new "Family Day" how the hell is it possible that Ford Motor Company won't

recognize it. Just was wondering what my brothers and sisters in Oakville, Windsor, and St Thomas think about this Bull.

Recently, in the last provincial election in Ontario, the liberals promised a new statutory holiday in Ontario if elected. Since they were elected and the legislation has been passed and we have our new "Family Day" how the hell is it possible that Ford Motor Company won't

recognize it. Just was wondering what my brothers and sisters in Oakville, Windsor, and St Thomas think about this Bull.

You're kidding right? Fords in the shitter and the water is moving in a clockwise direction and all you care about is a family day? With the new UAW deal I would be more worried about not having to take a job at Tim Hortons selling tims bits next year then a family day. You are just kidding right?

We already have more days off then what is mandated by the "Employment Standards Act"

READ THIS

We would have to negotiate any extra days

We already have more days off then what is mandated by the "Employment Standards Act"

READ THIS

We would have to negotiate any extra days

You are correct.

We have 1 more holiday this contract than we had last contract. There are 68 of them! Let's not be greedy!

We can't have every day. Presidents day, Columbus day etc... etc...

We get more holidays than almost anyone working anywhere that I know of. I for one am thankful for the 68 Holidays that the UAW negotiated for us!

Also, doesn't the CAW have several weeks more of vacation than we do. I think so!

You are correct.

We have 1 more holiday this contract than we had last contract. There are 68 of them! Let's not be greedy!

We get more holidays than almost anyone working anywhere that I know of. I for one am thankful for the 68 Holidays that the UAW negotiated for us!

Also, doesn't the CAW have several weeks more of vacation than we do. I think so!

Greed Kills! :stirpot::finger:

You are correct.

If our future workers get sold out in the next contract, they will be lucky to have a pot to piss in. When we retire, and they hold the power, they will piss on us. That is not a union.

I get full vacation. That is 8 weeks, including two SPAs (chosen at random by the company). I also get between 15 and 17 holidays, depending on what day of the week Christmas falls on. That totals 55 to 57 paid days off per year.

It was that piece of slime Liberal, McGuinty who "gave" us the extra day off to get re-elected. Everybody forgot about all of his lies and voted him back in. He promised not to raise taxes and then raised them. If I want a day off in February, I will book it myself. If we get the extra holiday, that will just be one less we will get in the future, so we are really getting nothing. Retail workers will just get a little less per hour to pay for the extra holiday. Everybody will pay for it one way or another, as the cost will be passed on. Thanks for nothing McGuinty. I hope your nose freezes and snaps off.

Edited by Trimdingman

If our future workers get sold out in the next contract, they will be lucky to have a pot to piss in. When we retire, and they hold the power, they will piss on us. That is not a union.

I get full vacation. That is 8 weeks, including two SPAs (chosen at random by the company). I also get between 15 and 17 holidays, depending on what day of the week Christmas falls on. That totals 55 to 57 paid days off per year.

It was that piece of slime Liberal, McGuinty who "gave" us the extra day off to get re-elected. Everybody forgot about all of his lies and voted him back in. He promised not to raise taxes and then raised them. If I want a day off in February, I will book it myself. If we get the extra holiday, that will just be one less we will get in the future, so we are really getting nothing. Retail workers will just get a little less per hour to pay for the extra holiday. Everybody will pay for it one way or another, as the cost will be passed on. Thanks for nothing McGuinty. I hope your nose freezes and snaps off.

We only get 5 weeks of vacation. My point is that you have 3 more weeks than us of vacation a year, and about the same on family days and holidays.

Just saying you have so much more than us, there wasn't much sympathy in my heart. Sorry, but over the length of the contract 4 years, that equals 12 more weeks off than we get, then you came on here bitching about the extra day a year you wanted.

I am glad you get the extra vacation, we could never get it here, cause we were always told that you had the benefit of national health care and it was a great offset for the costs that we could not compete with here, so we never got the extra weeks. Maybe one day, who knows?

Sorry that my reply is coldhearted, I just don't think the US Ford people will sympathize much. And in regards to the future hires, I don't know where everyone gets this "they will outnumber us one day bullshit". That is not true. I would rather have the future new hires at a lower rate working for Ford, than all of our work going to Canada, Mexico, Brazil etc... like the Fusion, Edge, Flex.... Again, no sympathy here. The US operations needed the offset to re-invest in the US. I am not a fan of North American vehicles myself, only MADE IN USA BABY!!!! Sorry bro, it's my USA middle class survival instinct kickin in.

What are you worried about? They will never get anyone to take the job for the 2nd tier pay right? I mean you did say that people with HS degrees can get jobs for more then the 2nd tier pay right? If that's the case then no one will take those 2nd tier jobs and they will have to raise the pay offered right? The same thing goes for the US too right? I mean they will never be able to find people to fill those 2nd tier jobs in the greater Detroit area right?

What are you worried about? They will never get anyone to take the job for the 2nd tier pay right? I mean you did say that people with HS degrees can get jobs for more then the 2nd tier pay right? If that's the case then no one will take those 2nd tier jobs and they will have to raise the pay offered right? The same thing goes for the US too right? I mean they will never be able to find people to fill those 2nd tier jobs in the greater Detroit area right?

The jobs will get covered, but you will not see a lot of people putting in 30 or more years. Once they are in the majority, they will not be fighting too hard for us retired fat cats. They will be trying to screw us every chance they get. Look beyond the present. The president of the union will be elected by those who are getting shorted to-day. Who are they going to choose for a president? Will it be someone who agrees with them? There will also be different people at the head of Ford. They will all be talking about the big mistakes their predecessors made, and will be promising to set things right. Our generation will be looked back upon as selfish and ungrateful. What goes around comes around.

The jobs will get covered, but you will not see a lot of people putting in 30 or more years. Once they are in the majority, they will not be fighting too hard for us retired fat cats. They will be trying to screw us every chance they get. Look beyond the present. The president of the union will be elected by those who are getting shorted to-day. Who are they going to choose for a president? Will it be someone who agrees with them? There will also be different people at the head of Ford. They will all be talking about the big mistakes their predecessors made, and will be promising to set things right. Our generation will be looked back upon as selfish and ungrateful. What goes around comes around.

Yes, you are right. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of those new hires, who will be getting a job that still pays more than anywhere else, will be pissed at the fact that we saved the US operations of Ford motor company?

You are wrong my friend, and I believe that the future will show this as a turning point in UAW and USA Automotive history, where the company and union did what was necessary to save the industry. And in future negotiations we will progress the wage rates and fight for parity until we achieve it.

These new hires will be receiving about 26.00 "ALL IN". Where else can you get that. Sure it's not as great as what we currently have, but it is a far cry better than no employment opportunity at Ford for any of them, and half of us!!!!!!!!!!!

When you are in a war, and you are losing your front, you fall back and resecure your lines, hoping to push forward again. I am glad that you are not my war general, as the fatalities would be far greater!

I won't argue this point anymore with you, as only time will ultimately prove either you or I wrong. We decidely chose a fallback position, and one that will add jobs. Adding jobs adds numbers, numbers add strength. Strength equals power. It's elementary my dear Watson, elementary.

holmes1.jpg

Damn Man you got it good!!! We here at DTP (Skilled Trades) got stuck on a 7 day program, Next year I only get 3 holidays off thats right 3 total!! If one falls on a regular day I have to work it no choice....if I want it off to spend with my family I have to burn a EAA or vacation day to get it & if/when I work one I don't have the option to bank it for use at another time. So during the next 4 years the 68 holidays you get to have off we here get maybe 12. But hey I have a GOOD Job, Pays me better than most & even with all the BS we get from upper Man. it could be a lot worse. Have a Happy Holiday & a Safe New Year. Sometimes it can be hard to do but try to look at ALL you do have here at FORD & try not to sweat the small stuff. :shades:

Yes, you are right. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of those new hires, who will be getting a job that still pays more than anywhere else, will be pissed at the fact that we saved the US operations of Ford motor company?

You are wrong my friend, and I believe that the future will show this as a turning point in UAW and USA Automotive history, where the company and union did what was necessary to save the industry. And in future negotiations we will progress the wage rates and fight for parity until we achieve it.

These new hires will be receiving about 26.00 "ALL IN". Where else can you get that. Sure it's not as great as what we currently have, but it is a far cry better than no employment opportunity at Ford for any of them, and half of us!!!!!!!!!!!

When you are in a war, and you are losing your front, you fall back and resecure your lines, hoping to push forward again. I am glad that you are not my war general, as the fatalities would be far greater!

I won't argue this point anymore with you, as only time will ultimately prove either you or I wrong. We decidely chose a fallback position, and one that will add jobs. Adding jobs adds numbers, numbers add strength. Strength equals power. It's elementary my dear Watson, elementary.

holmes1.jpg

You pushed the new troops to the front to be cannon fodder while you continued to sit pretty. Why couldn't you all take a lesser pay cut? If those people were already hired, you would have done things differently. Mark my words; there is going to be a lot of resentment and pay-back in the future. What do you think will be in future contracts for retired workers if the ones doing the voting do not even have a pension? Cuts, probably. It would be poetic justice. Instead of making 20% of the people take a 50% cut, you should have all taken a 10% cut, three bucks an hour. Instead, you have divided the workers and broken the back of the union.

Magna workers just signed on with the CAW. They now belong to a watered down version of a union. Soon our local will also be watered down. Soon there will be no difference between union and non-union.

I can just see the new hire now. You say to him: " I make $30 an hour, but you only get $14. You should be glad that you have a job." He replies: " Oh yes, I am so grateful that you decided to cut starting wages. I am glad that you didn't have to take a cut. It would have affected your lifestyle, and I really wouldn't want to see that. I am just glad that I am making half what you are for doing the same work."

I believe that would be a realistic scenario......NOT

Edited by Trimdingman

Entry Level! :finger::finger:

Entry Level! :finger::finger:

Union level spin. Every where you read, its called 2nd tier, lower tier, hardly a mention of entry level unless its in a union/company release. What we had b-4 was a lower tier(arguably entry level), but time dictated when someone would eventually get full pay(and bennies). Now essentially, moving to traditional pay status is reliant on others quiting , retiring,dying. No timetable. With Fords lower avg age and w/o truely enticing buyouts, it could be many many yrs b-4 2nd tier moves to top pay rates. I understand about saving the industry but lets also remember that living to fight another day will also be tied more to the world economy rather than our own. So if places like India,China continue to put downward pressure on labor, the next contract could actually see top tier Ford ee's taking cuts. Also "Just saying you have so much more than us, there wasn't much sympathy in my heart" , quote from Level shows the same attitude that the 2nd tier employees could show in future contracts as the pressure for more labor cuts arises. People are people. They usually want more for themselves, first. And as Level said. Power in #'s. But we went from 1.5 million to what ? today ? The power in #'s in the future will be us struggling against each other as the industry seeks more cuts to stay competitive. This contract was about preserving an industry and the lifestyle of the existing employees. The company and union were not interested in equal sacrifice. Thats why those that were targeted were non-voters, retirees and future employees. The contribution the industry is making to the middle class will end with our generation or workers.

I am here to tell you that people will be lined up for our entry level positions. I get calls everyday from people that would do aything for one of those jobs. Quite frankly if they would have had the same retiement plan (401K) style when we all hired in, we would be just fine. Contrary to George W's latest spin the economy is not in good shape and where I am from most hourly jobs are paying between 7 and 12 dollars an hour with less benefits than our entry level positions will get. Those are the facts so if anybody is selling out the future employees, it is not the UAW. It is a system that has allowed temporary employment agencies to become full time employers. This is modern day slavery and nobody seems to care. At least a new hire in the UAW will have a fighting chance to increase his or her compensation through the collective bargaining process. That was the road that Ford Motor was headed down until these negotiations, outsourcing non-core work to companies manned up by temp agencies. I think that the UAW has just made a huge step to secure the future of working class Americans. Good job guys. Merry Christmas

I am here to tell you that people will be lined up for our entry level positions. I get calls everyday from people that would do aything for one of those jobs. Quite frankly if they would have had the same retiement plan (401K) style when we all hired in, we would be just fine. Contrary to George W's latest spin the economy is not in good shape and where I am from most hourly jobs are paying between 7 and 12 dollars an hour with less benefits than our entry level positions will get. Those are the facts so if anybody is selling out the future employees, it is not the UAW. It is a system that has allowed temporary employment agencies to become full time employers. This is modern day slavery and nobody seems to care. At least a new hire in the UAW will have a fighting chance to increase his or her compensation through the collective bargaining process. That was the road that Ford Motor was headed down until these negotiations, outsourcing non-core work to companies manned up by temp agencies. I think that the UAW has just made a huge step to secure the future of working class Americans. Good job guys. Merry Christmas

Once these people start working on the line for second class wages, you will not have a union. You will have two classes of people resenting each other. You have the nerve to tell someone that he is lucky to have a job, when you are doing less work than he and getting paid twice as much? I don't think that is going to go over too well. The time to stop stepping on others who have no say in order to avoid sharing the pain was three months ago. I believe that you will see a different approach in Canada next year when our contract expires. I hope so, anyway. I have 33 years, and stand to lose some money, but at least I will be able to hold my head up.

Edited by Trimdingman

You are correct.

Agreed, Chicka!

You are correct.

You get lump sums and bonuses. You sell your vacations. We at Ford of Canada have to take all of our vacation time, and we get extra vacation time instead of profit sharing. That way, more jobs are created. That is the CAW's philosophy. I am not saying that I like it, but you can't say that Canadians are greedy.

You pushed the new troops to the front to be cannon fodder while you continued to sit pretty. Why couldn't you all take a lesser pay cut? If those people were already hired, you would have done things differently. Mark my words; there is going to be a lot of resentment and pay-back in the future. What do you think will be in future contracts for retired workers if the ones doing the voting do not even have a pension? Cuts, probably. It would be poetic justice. Instead of making 20% of the people take a 50% cut, you should have all taken a 10% cut, three bucks an hour. Instead, you have divided the workers and broken the back of the union.

Magna workers just signed on with the CAW. They now belong to a watered down version of a union. Soon our local will also be watered down. Soon there will be no difference between union and non-union.

I can just see the new hire now. You say to him: " I make $30 an hour, but you only get $14. You should be glad that you have a job." He replies: " Oh yes, I am so grateful that you decided to cut starting wages. I am glad that you didn't have to take a cut. It would have affected your lifestyle, and I really wouldn't want to see that. I am just glad that I am making half what you are for doing the same work."

I believe that would be a realistic scenario......NOT

Trim it is an old arguement, while I agree there will be some bitterness and future workers will do the same as we did! (secure them selves first) The contract is/has been settled and you are wasting your time now. The best thing you can do is treat the new hires with dignity and respect and not remind them of what the current employ has done to them. If we humble ourselves and treat the newhires with respect we will never see the level of rebellion and discourse that you talk about. Just as I, they will realize that if it is necessary to allow the new hires to come in at what every other job pays on the outside to preserve their newly aquired traditional rate. Then they will agree! Look at UPS, $8.50 an hour to start as entry level. Top end after much sacrifice $29.03 an hour, pay your dues and have it made! The ones who could ruin it for us are the ones who have brought us to this point, the public hates us because of those of us who gloat and don't know when to shut up! It is no different working near new hires! Treat your brothers who are condescending to the new hires like shit and let them know why! They just saved your pay rate and deserve respect, we are no better only here first!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Trim it is an old arguement, while I agree there will be some bitterness and future workers will do the same as we did! (secure them selves first) The contract is/has been settled and you are wasting your time now. The best thing you can do is treat the new hires with dignity and respect and not remind them of what the current employ has done to them. If we humble ourselves and treat the newhires with respect we will never see the level of rebellion and discourse that you talk about. Just as I, they will realize that if it is necessary to allow the new hires to come in at what every other job pays on the outside to preserve their newly aquired traditional rate. Then they will agree! Look at UPS, $8.50 an hour to start as entry level. Top end after much sacrifice $29.03 an hour, pay your dues and have it made! The ones who could ruin it for us are the ones who have brought us to this point, the public hates us because of those of us who gloat and don't know when to shut up! It is no different working near new hires! Treat your brothers who are condescending to the new hires like shit and let them know why! They just saved your pay rate and deserve respect, we are no better only here first!

Nobody has seen what will happen down the road. I have seen it in the big grocery stores. The fat cats grand-fathered out, and the majority now work for peanuts. They never got it back. It would be better to stick together, and take the hit equally. When the next generation form the majority, why would they want to keep the UAW? Pensioners will never see any improvement in future contracts, and if possible, pensions will be cut in return for better conditions for those working. It has become dog-eat-dog. That is not a union.

You don't think they will gloat? On this thread, there are already people telling them that they are lucky to have half pay. They could be on the street. I once got laid off from Ford. I had been making $10.00 an hour. I got a job in a steel mill starting at $9.00 an hour. The foreman told me that a starting worker should not be paid so much. I bit my tongue. People all believe that they are just as good as anyone else. The auto industry depends heavily on quality workmanship. You only get what you pay for. People who are content work better than people who are discontent. Many people who come to Ford will be former workers from well paying jobs, maybe former auto workers from Chrysler or GM. Tell them that they are lucky to have a $14.00 an hour job at Ford.

Nobody has seen what will happen down the road. I have seen it in the big grocery stores. The fat cats grand-fathered out, and the majority now work for peanuts. They never got it back. It would be better to stick together, and take the hit equally. When the next generation form the majority, why would they want to keep the UAW? Pensioners will never see any improvement in future contracts, and if possible, pensions will be cut in return for better conditions for those working. It has become dog-eat-dog. That is not a union.

You don't think they will gloat? On this thread, there are already people telling them that they are lucky to have half pay. They could be on the street. I once got laid off from Ford. I had been making $10.00 an hour. I got a job in a steel mill starting at $9.00 an hour. The foreman told me that a starting worker should not be paid so much. I bit my tongue. People all believe that they are just as good as anyone else. The auto industry depends heavily on quality workmanship. You only get what you pay for. People who are content work better than people who are discontent. Many people who come to Ford will be former workers from well paying jobs, maybe former auto workers from Chrysler or GM. Tell them that they are lucky to have a $14.00 an hour job at Ford.

I am on your side and have been from the get. It is too late and we were in the minority! It is a shitty concelation but they will eventually get the chance at traditional wages if we don't screw up the next contract! I would have rather taken a cut accross the board to stop it, but once again we were the minority! The biggest b-tch is that we were told only 20% low wage than we find out there were exclusions, entire plants, entire classifications! It is not and was never intended to be limited to 20% nationwide! lies, it was all lies! Now what, all we can do is warn our brothers not to gloat! You are a good man Trim, and so am I all we can do now is deal with the hand we have my brother! I'm still hearing an anti union mantra from those bean counters upset about the Hollywood writers strike! The union is our only protection as working men and women, even in times of disfunction! Smile, it is time to rejoyce! God Bless you and your family, and Merry Christmass Trimdingman!

I am on your side and have been from the get. It is too late and we were in the minority! It is a shitty concelation but they will eventually get the chance at traditional wages if we don't screw up the next contract! I would have rather taken a cut accross the board to stop it, but once again we were the minority! The biggest b-tch is that we were told only 20% low wage than we find out there were exclusions, entire plants, entire classifications! It is not and was never intended to be limited to 20% nationwide! lies, it was all lies! Now what, all we can do is warn our brothers not to gloat! You are a good man Trim, and so am I all we can do now is deal with the hand we have my brother! I'm still hearing an anti union mantra from those bean counters upset about the Hollywood writers strike! The union is our only protection as working men and women, even in times of disfunction! Smile, it is time to rejoyce! God Bless you and your family, and Merry Christmass Trimdingman!

Merry Christmas to you, too Furious1Auto. May the New Year bring health and prosperity.

To put it bluntly, the current ford uaw workers are going to use the newly hired ford uaw workers as their (fill in name of female dogs here). You needed to cut average salary costs so instead of taking the hit yourselves you decided to bring in a whole bunch of new employees to take the hit and be the "fill in name of female dogs here).

At least the uaw negotiators at the other 2, GM and Chrysler, had the smarts to classify certain jobs as 2nd tier. That way they can at least say that the 2nd tier jobs are not as demanding physically or mentally as line jobs, hence lower pay for those jobs. Ford uaw negotiators decided they will make their new hires work in any job for the 2nd tier pay, janitorial or line work, same pay. What would you rather do for $17, work the easy job at gm/Chrysler or work the line at ford?

What goes around comes around and you all know that.