Ranger Replacement

Mackintire

Would you buy a midsized Ranger?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a midsized ranger as it is described below?

• Yes
    • No

Since this is a wish list thread, that Ford occasionally reads.....I am going to make a wish.

My idea of a perfect ranger would have to be profitable and practical and be able to support other vehicles.....Otherwise I figured my wish would never come true.

Start with a platform similar in width to the 2003-2006 Explorer. Anything bigger and you're almost the size of the old F150. Anything smaller and your back to the 2008 Ranger size, which is too small to arranged for comfortable seating for 4 adults in a quad cab configuration.

The length for the truck should be figured out from 2 basic configurations. The standard cab and the quad cab versions.

The standard cab should be built like the new F150 which includes a significant amount of room behind the driver and passenger seats for storage but not so much room as to defined as an extended cab. I spent some time looking at the Nissan Frontier and found the extended cab not so extended. I found it more closely related to some sort of sick joke. The standard cab should come with either a short 5' or a long 7' bed.

The quad cab should come with a 5' bed and should incorperate the extra 2' into the cab.

The engine lineup should be the 3.7ltr V6 with 270HP+ and an 2.5ltr 4cyl being 165HP+

The transmission should be a 6 speed+ either in automatic or manual.

Gear the tranny correctly and you can lose low range on the 4x4s. It will save weight and design costs. But we still need manual control over the lower gearing.

We still need to be able to creep a boat out of the water or engine break at low speeds. The first gear in my wife's fusion has convinced me losing the low range may be possible.

One more pet peeve...do something with the overdrive button. How about making it more useful, like changing it to a true tow/haul button like chevy has with the allison. Change the shift patterns and shift firmness for towing. It cost nothing but programming time and shows attention to detail. We will notice as would Motortrend.

The Nissan Frontier should be the performance target. If Nissan actually optioned the frontier correctly they would have dominated the small truck market. Nissan seems to not know what they have, take advantage of this fact.

The truck needs to be able to outclass the old ranger in almost every performance figure. The bed capacity should be 250lbs higher in carrying capacity, the tow capacity also needs to be 500lbs higher. The ranger missed the mark at being able to tow 3000lb trailers comfortably. We understand that you would rather sell us a F150 to tow a 3000lb trailer and we would also rather have one....but unless you can get the F150 to fit into our sub 6' garages and achieve 21+MPG we will be forced to look elsewhere.

Coil spring over shocks seems to be the best option for the front and modified leaf springs with outboard shocks may be the best option for the rear.

The V6 4X4 quad cab configuration needs to make 22MPG by 2010. You need to be more competitive and give us the vehicles we want.

I always wondered why Ford didn't ever standardize on things like wheels? 5x4.5 is a normal bolt pattern for ford. But how about sticking to the 40-45mm offset. You have to retool and change things everytime you change your design. As my employer is always telling us " Change costs money" Don't change the backspacing on every vehicle.

Keep the configurations as follows for the opening year:

XL (Your normal work truck, basic interior vinyl flooring)

XLT (The normal options)

Limited (Upscale options, including most everything available on the current sport trek, it is VERY important to have this option)

FX6 (Upgraded for off Road includes a real low range transfer case)

FX6a (Looks like FX6 but with no real low range or other hardened improvements)

Ford should offer all 4 packages

Mercury should offer 2 packages.....something like the XLT and something similar to the limited.. but with an independant suspention. This will give those who wanted a newer sport trek something to look at.

Expanding this platform would be the following vehicles.

Bronco....... Solid rear axle offroad machine, styling and price will be the biggest items with this choice. This could be Ford's entry into the H3 lovers market.

??????........ Something Mercury like the bronco with softer sheetmetal and the independant rear suspension.

No more V8 Explorers, no more V8 sport trek, no more 4.0 Rangers no more 3.0 rangers.

Significantly lower parts costs and platform costs.

Your CAFE milage should show significant improvement based on my suggestions.

As a customer I am dissapointed that there are no real viable options for a quality midsize truck today on the market.

The Frontier is closest to being the right basic design, but the options and packages are terrible.

The Tacoma is a little big, the seating position is terrible and the frame strength is questionable at best.

The Colorado, Hmmm I wonder if GM had Big Lots design this truck. I think it suffers from build quality and fit and finish issues more then anything else. Usually GM designs their vehicles to be cosmeticly pleasing and funtional, something definately got lost when they designed the colorado.

The Dakota is now a half-ton in scale and size.

I just want something that can double as a daily driver and a utility vehicle. Sadly, no one yet makes something I would buy.

FORD, Its time to start leveraging your strengths.

The midsize truck platform IS your next F150. Design it correctly and I can promise you will sell at least 70k on the first sales month.

Edited by Mackintire

• 2 weeks later...
Keep the configurations as follows for the opening year:

XL (Your normal work truck, basic interior vinyl flooring)

XLT (The normal options)

Limited (Upscale options, including most everything available on the current sport trek, it is VERY important to have this option)

FX6 (Upgraded for off Road includes a real low range transfer case)

FX6a (Looks like FX6 but with no real low range or other hardened improvements)

Ford should offer all 4 packages

Mercury should offer 2 packages.....something like the XLT and something similar to the limited.. but with an independant suspention. This will give those who wanted a newer sport trek something to look at.

Expanding this platform would be the following vehicles.

Bronco....... Solid rear axle offroad machine, styling and price will be the biggest items with this choice. This could be Ford's entry into the H3 lovers market.

??????........ Something Mercury like the bronco with softer sheetmetal and the independant rear suspension.

No more V8 Explorers, no more V8 sport trek, no more 4.0 Rangers no more 3.0 rangers.

First, why is it 'FX6' and not 'FX2' or 'FX4' like the F-150? Just to be different?

Also, you're saying to give Mercury a truck as well?

Also a Mercury version of Bronco? I'm not so sure about that. Would this Bronco/mercury version be 2 or 4 doors?

First, why is it 'FX6' and not 'FX2' or 'FX4' like the F-150? Just to be different?

Also, you're saying to give Mercury a truck as well?

Also a Mercury version of Bronco? I'm not so sure about that. Would this Bronco/mercury version be 2 or 4 doors?

FX6 ....was just a number.

The Mercury SUV/(truck in a quad cab only) would have different sheet metal, only available in the higher trim classes and would offer an independant rear suspension.

The Mercury truck 3.7ltr would be similar to the current Sport Trek Limited and in a 4x4 trim be priced to start around $29k

The Ford truck quad cab 3.7ltr version with a solid axle and XL trim again in a 4x4 trim would likewise be priced starting around $21,500

The Ford truck non quad cab 7' bed 2.5ltr XL trim in 2x4 would be priced around $16,500

Add the 3.7ltr for $2000 more

Add 4 wheel drive for $1500 more

switch to a quad cab for another $1500 more

Remember, all the available truck configurations would be able to be built on ONE frame.

Edited by Mackintire

All very good, but Ford already has a viable replacement in the EU-Ranger.....and that has a diesel option too. I would like to see this come to NA as the F100 and a Flex based sport truck to carry on the Ranger name here in the States. But then again, that is only one blue oval fan's opinion.

Ford already publically stated that we are not going to get the european ranger.

There is a rumor that Ford will build a new global truck platform that will include a midsize truck for the US, but it is not scheduled to be put into production until 2012 at the earliest.

Ford already publically stated that we are not going to get the european ranger.

There is a rumor that Ford will build a new global truck platform that will include a midsize truck for the US, but it is not scheduled to be put into production until 2012 at the earliest.

Although 2012 is only a few years away....in automotive sales terms, it is an eternity. F-150 is going to be bigger and the gap between F-150 and Ranger will be Grand Canyon in scope.

How about this in the interim? Ford still produces the last gen F-150 for the Mexican market, bring that one north, put the F-100 badge on it, and I would bet it would sell a bunch of 'em.

http://www.ford.com.mx/vehicles/homevehicle.asp?idModel=F15

PS...the truck sells for 166,200 pesos in Mexico....that converts to 15,239 and some change....not too bad. and I think that is before any rebates, I don't read "mexican" well, so I think it is some sort of rebate or discount after that amount....any help out there from our bi-lingual BON bloggers??

Edited by twintornados

Although 2012 is only a few years away....in automotive sales terms, it is an eternity. F-150 is going to be bigger and the gap between F-150 and Ranger will be Grand Canyon in scope.

How about this in the interim? Ford still produces the last gen F-150 for the Mexican market, bring that one north, put the F-100 badge on it, and I would bet it would sell a bunch of 'em.

Intersting idea but.....

I d bet theres a few reasons Ford wouldn't do that.

First being the truck import tarrift, thats 30% on any truck inported into the US

Second the old F150 doesn t have the fit and finish of the newer truck (F150). They would have to spend money on it to get it up to the expected levels of ride and comfort.

Third, It would tank their CAFE rating; right now Ford is very fuel economy concious.

Intersting idea but.....

I d bet theres a few reasons Ford wouldn't do that.

First being the truck import tarrift, thats 30% on any truck inported into the US

Second the old F150 doesn t have the fit and finish of the newer truck (F150). They would have to spend money on it to get it up to the expected levels of ride and comfort.

Third, It would tank their CAFE rating; right now Ford is very fuel economy concious.

I don't think the tariff would apply due to NAFTA, but if it did, the truck can be shipped in without the bed (uncompleted vehicle), and then the bed attached once inside the States....imports did that for years to sneak around the tariffs.

PS...the truck sells for 166,200 pesos in Mexico....that converts to 15,239 and some change....not too bad. and I think that is before any rebates, I don't read "mexican" well, so I think it is some sort of rebate or discount after that amount....any help out there from our bi-lingual BON bloggers??

That is an interesting idea. I don't think Ford would do it either. First, if I were a truck customer I don't think I'd want a truck that's "brand new" when its really 10 years old (design-wise), plus IIRC, you can buy a new current generation F-150 for not too much more than that. The only advantage bringing that over would be for price and if there is a tariff, you'd lose some of that price advantage right there. Also, I'm not sure how magazines would take it either (not that it matters too much), but I'd think it could result in some bad press for Ford, and they've had their fair share of that already.

• 2 months later...

your quad cab is the sport trac. it is on the explorer frame and has a 5' bed...it comes with the 4.0L v-6 with 210hp and 4.6L v-8 with 285hp....sure updating to the 3.5L with dual exhaust at 265hp would make some sense and pair with the 6-speed auto that they have in the edge with same powertrain, but you may as well up the v-8 to the 4.6 with dual exhaust too so you are at 300 hp like the mustang...........but this would just be improving the Sport trac. which is how we kind of treat sport tracs on the retail end, thing is they start out around $27k...what they need is an XL series that starts around $22k and then a 4x4 Xl around $25k, then pricing would make more sense.... .02

your quad cab is the sport trac. it is on the explorer frame and has a 5' bed...it comes with the 4.0L v-6 with 210hp and 4.6L v-8 with 285hp....sure updating to the 3.5L with dual exhaust at 265hp would make some sense and pair with the 6-speed auto that they have in the edge with same powertrain, but you may as well up the v-8 to the 4.6 with dual exhaust too so you are at 300 hp like the mustang...........but this would just be improving the Sport trac. which is how we kind of treat sport tracs on the retail end, thing is they start out around $27k...what they need is an XL series that starts around $22k and then a 4x4 Xl around $25k, then pricing would make more sense.... .02

A successor to the Ranger could be the Ford F100 and the sucessor to the B-Series could be a Mercury Comet/Medallian/Monarch/M1

A successor to the Ranger could be the Ford F100 and the sucessor to the B-Series could be a Mercury Comet/Medallian/Monarch/M1

in a meeting, close to the end of the year, our general sales manager was ADAMANT that there will be an F-100 replacing the Ranger. It all comes down to when...

I'll miss the ranger, I still miss my 97 with 130k miles, but i guess that's the way of it. I forsee another extracab ranger in my future, just not sure when.

in a meeting, close to the end of the year, our general sales manager was ADAMANT that there will be an F-100 replacing the Ranger. It all comes down to when...

I'll miss the ranger, I still miss my 97 with 130k miles, but i guess that's the way of it. I forsee another extracab ranger in my future, just not sure when.

I drive a 99 ranger 3.0 with 161,000 on it. Very good trucks.

If you leave the US you will find plenty of quad cab rangers. None of them are the US model we know as the sport trac. :banghead:

Our future midsized truck replacement will most likely come from the Austrailian developed T6 platform currently being developed.

Who knows what they will call it at this point. Igor let it slip in one of his posts that Ford intends to make an announcement at the end of the summer.

I hope that he's right. :happy feet:

If you leave the US you will find plenty of quad cab rangers. None of them are the US model we know as the sport trac. :banghead:

Our future midsized truck replacement will most likely come from the Austrailian developed T6 platform currently being developed.

Who knows what they will call it at this point. Igor let it slip in one of his posts that Ford intends to make an announcement at the end of the summer.

I hope that he's right. :happy feet:

I believe i sent you a pm awhile ago to try to talk to you about rangers and replacements but you never replied back :(

I like your ideas for a replacement F100/Ranger.

I would add Stepside/Flareside beds to remain. I saw a 04' Reg Cab with bench seat and Flareside (Stepside?) and it looked great. The truck was lowered an inch or two and had some pretty aggressive wheels/tires on it. I don't know what a sport truck is, but the one I saw today sure seemed to fit the bill. I big moonroof or targa roof would've been just right.

Also, height adjustable bench seat with a flip down center backrest to become a storage/armrest would be an appreciated feature.

For me, a small truck would be a 4th vehicle, so it'd be a while before I need one. But I hope a small, tough, competant truck will still be offered by Ford!

I like your ideas for a replacement F100/Ranger.

I would add Stepside/Flareside beds to remain. I saw a 04' Reg Cab with bench seat and Flareside (Stepside?) and it looked great. The truck was lowered an inch or two and had some pretty aggressive wheels/tires on it. I don't know what a sport truck is, but the one I saw today sure seemed to fit the bill. I big moonroof or targa roof would've been just right.

Also, height adjustable bench seat with a flip down center backrest to become a storage/armrest would be an appreciated feature.

For me, a small truck would be a 4th vehicle, so it'd be a while before I need one. But I hope a small, tough, competant truck will still be offered by Ford!

As a truck Ford will have to keep a larger engine available for heavier load capability. The only way they could get around this would be offering a small diesel. Ford leaked infomation has made it known that Ford does not intend to bring a small diesel to the US market untill sometime after 2013 at the earliest.

Ford Austrialia is designing the truck as you read this.

Here are some givens :reading:

• The powertrain is set (see above posts or below notes for the future)
  • higher beltline (deeper box)
  • multi-platform chassis / pickup truck and small cargo van compatible chassis aka T6
  • raked windshield / better aerodynamics
  • 1500lb+ bed capacity maybe more
  • volume profitable.....Ford is counting on 400K volume world wide in the first year

Guesstmated fuel milage

ETA 2011

20/26 MPG 4 cyl 2.5ltr 165 HP 6 speed

18/24 MPG V6 Cyl 3.7ltr 265 HP 6 speed auto

And later if there is a demand a hybrid 25/28 160HP + 40HP electric

Later replaced by Twinforce 2.0 and DI37 with power shift transmissions

ETA 2015

22/30 MPG 2.0ltr turbo 170 HP 7 speed autostick power shift

19/26 MPG 3.7ltr DI 285 HP 7 spped autostick power shift

Lithium powered 2 mode hybrid? 28/35 (wild guess)

2018 major redesign again.....

Edited by Mackintire

• 1 month later...
Guesstmated fuel milage

ETA 2011

20/26 MPG 4 cyl 2.5ltr 165 HP 6 speed

18/24 MPG V6 Cyl 3.7ltr 265 HP 6 speed auto

And later if there is a demand a hybrid 25/28 160HP + 40HP electric

Later replaced by Twinforce 2.0 and DI37 with power shift transmissions

ETA 2015

22/30 MPG 2.0ltr turbo 170 HP 7 speed autostick power shift

19/26 MPG 3.7ltr DI 285 HP 7 spped autostick power shift

Lithium powered 2 mode hybrid? 28/35 (wild guess)

2018 major redesign again.....

That fuel mileage better be quite a bit higher than that. The current 4 banger that I have uses the 2.5l with a 5 speed from 2001. Stock tires on the vehicle I would get high 20's all day long and my average over the course of many miles was 27.x mpg's with a city/highway mix. However, the one good thing about the old truck....well one of many good things...is that the reg cab weighed very little when compared to many other vehicles.

That fuel mileage better be quite a bit higher than that. The current 4 banger that I have uses the 2.5l with a 5 speed from 2001. Stock tires on the vehicle I would get high 20's all day long and my average over the course of many miles was 27.x mpg's with a city/highway mix. However, the one good thing about the old truck....well one of many good things...is that the reg cab weighed very little when compared to many other vehicles.

The newer EPA tests are harder to pass then the old tests. SO if you are comparing to the sticker that was on the side of your old truck you would have to lower your old trucks gas milage by 2 mpg to reach parity to the numbers given above.

Also keep in mind that the replacement truck will most likely be slightly wider and weigh a little bit more, and yet still be more capable then your old 2001. I'm sure that the 2.0 Turbo that they are working on will be able to reach 30MPG, but It doesn't look like you will see that engine in the new truck untill 2015 at the earliest. Another possibility that they could easily do would be a hybrid truck using the same combo that is in the Escape. That would net 32/27MPG with an effective 230HP electric motor / (gas) miller cycle 2.5ltr working together.

Now that I 'm thinking about it, IF Ford manages to build the truck with the upcomming 6-8 speed powershift transmissions then there is a good chance you can add 1-2 Mpg to the numbers above. I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

They are expecting the new 2012 F150 with the 4.4ltr Diesel to only get 23MPG unloaded when it is released.

:stirpot:

Edited by Mackintire

The newer EPA tests are harder to pass then the old tests. SO if you are comparing to the sticker that was on the side of your old truck you would have to lower your old trucks gas milage by 2 mpg to reach parity to the numbers given above.

Also keep in mind that the replacement truck will most likely be slightly wider and weigh a little bit more, and yet still be more capable then your old 2001. I'm sure that the 2.0 Turbo that they are working on will be able to reach 30MPG, but It doesn't look like you will see that engine in the new truck untill 2015 at the earliest. Another possibility that they could easily do would be a hybrid truck using the same combo that is in the Escape. That would net 32/27MPG with an effective 230HP electric motor / (gas) miller cycle 2.5ltr working together.

Now that I 'm thinking about it, IF Ford manages to build the truck with the upcomming 6-8 speed powershift transmissions then there is a good chance you can add 1-2 Mpg to the numbers above. I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

They are expecting the new 2012 F150 with the 4.4ltr Diesel to only get 23MPG unloaded when it is released.

:stirpot:

2012 F150 that only gets 23 mpg? what will diesel cost in 2012....

2012 F150 that only gets 23 mpg? what will diesel cost in 2012....

I 'm pretty well traveled, so If I had to guess I would say that Diesel will run $4.75 a gal by then.

Gas will probably be around $4.50 a gal by that time.

Keep in mind this guess, is dependant on a ton of variables. I could be high balling the number a tad.

I tend to be an pessimist.

Out,

Mackintire