December & 2007 Compact CUV Sales

waymondospiff

The roofline is about all I see, maybe the rear as well.

I have to look harder to find the dissimilarities than I do to find the similarities. I guess it's good that it appears all-new to the buying public - I would have thought it to be roundly rejected like the "not all-new as was claimed" Freestar, Explorer, 2005 Focus, & 2005 Escape. But if it looks "all-new" to some/most/nearly-all people then hey - power to Ford!

To be fair, it's also bigger and heavier.

Eh, not really:

2008 Ford Escape Limited FWD - 3.0L V6 200hp - 18c/24h - 3387lbs - 174.7in long & 71.1in wide

2008 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe - 4.6L V8 300hp - 15c/23h - 3500lbs - 187.6in long & 74.0in wide

2008 Ford Mustand V6 Deluxe - 4.0L V6 210hp - 17c/26h - 3345lbs - 187.6in long & 74.0in wide

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport V6 FWD - 3.5L V6 269hp - 19c/27h - 3549lbs - 181.1in long & 73.0in wide

2008 Ford Edge SEL FWD - 3.5L V6 265hp - 16c/24h - 4078lbs - 185.7in long & 75.8in wide

The Escape just has kinda lousy fuel economy numbers. Not awful - but low enough to take it off of my consideration list.

Scott

Eh, not really:

2008 Ford Escape Limited FWD - 3.0L V6 200hp - 18c/24h - 3387lbs - 174.7in long & 71.1in wide

2008 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe - 4.6L V8 300hp - 15c/23h - 3500lbs - 187.6in long & 74.0in wide

2008 Ford Mustand V6 Deluxe - 4.0L V6 210hp - 17c/26h - 3345lbs - 187.6in long & 74.0in wide

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport V6 FWD - 3.5L V6 269hp - 19c/27h - 3549lbs - 181.1in long & 73.0in wide

2008 Ford Edge SEL FWD - 3.5L V6 265hp - 16c/24h - 4078lbs - 185.7in long & 75.8in wide

The Escape just has kinda lousy fuel economy numbers. Not awful - but low enough to take it off of my consideration list.

Scott

Silvrsvt was comparing his Mustang to an Edge not an Escape. There's at least a 500 lb difference.

Ford isn't KIA. At least they shouldn't be, Hell Kia doesn't even want to be KIA. And I doubt ford's current management has any desire to be Kia. They should want to produce such demand for their vehicles that they can easily sell them at thousands more. Honda and Toyota do that. Ford should strive for that, not strive to be the bargain bin fleet dumped embarrassment they put out.

There should always be an affordable model in the lineup for people who can't afford the likes of the Edge.

Hell Kia doesn't even want to be KIA.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Neither does Automobili Cyclops SpA

Trebor and T. Tom in full chat in a Cyclops

Normale powered by the incredible CPM-2-SROa9 engine with the revolutionary

GP Gambe Potenciale drive train (old army boots) heading for an astounding

victory in the East African Safari Rally.  June 1964 R&T

http://sbiii.com/cyclops.html#

smcartt5.jpg

Silvrsvt was comparing his Mustang to an Edge not an Escape. There's at least a 500 lb difference.

Oh, so he was...my fault.

Well then - the Edge isn't really any bigger - but it does weigh a HECK of a lot more! Hopefully the Edge will be one of the first vehicles to be lightened under Ford's new environmentally friendly design guide.

Scott

I guess the thought that keeps floating in my head whenever we talk about Ford's compact CUVs is "Why isn't the Edge the replacement for the Escape?" Why not just put a 4-cylinder engine in a less-featured Edge and have that be the more affordable model suv_guy talks about? All of its rivals start over $20K, so it isn't going to seem overpriced. Just make the current model the well-equipped SE.

I guess the thought that keeps floating in my head whenever we talk about Ford's compact CUVs is "Why isn't the Edge the replacement for the Escape?" Why not just put a 4-cylinder engine in a less-featured Edge and have that be the more affordable model suv_guy talks about? All of its rivals start over $20K, so it isn't going to seem overpriced. Just make the current model the well-equipped SE.

Because the market is not consolidating, it's fragmenting.

I doubt highly that you could sell a $19k - $33k Ford Edge in volumes equivalent to the Edge + Escape; something would have to be compromised. I mean if you figure that the bulk of Escape's 12k units/month are coming -below- the Edge's list price, with the Edge itself selling in the 12k/month range, you have to do a -lot- of compromise to make a vehicle that will sell profitably in the $22k price range while being acceptable at the $30k+ range.

Andd lets be clear about something here, if you want to fool yourself into not seeing how the 08 Escape looks similar to the 01 Escape, you are retarded, and you lose any ounce of credibility you have because you have proven yourself to be a blind loyalist that lacks the mental capacity to have a valid opinion.

Boston huh? Guess that makes you a Mass-hole. Since you're so smart, submit your resume to Ford and let me know when they hire you. When that happens, then maybe more people will listen to what you have to say. You're just as bad as the lemon guy.