New Engine For Escape

There is a scuttlebug going around that the Escape will get a new engine soon but Ford is hush hush about it. There were even marketing $$ targeted towards this but is being pulled by th new marketing chief to focus on Ford's other strengths in the next year or so. That means there won't be the "planned" publicity around the new engine pre and post launch. Anyone have any news on this?

Edited by Loyalbutconcerned

There is a scuttlebug going around that the Escape will get a new engine soon but Ford is hush hush about it. There were even marketing $$ targeted towards this but is being pulled by th new marketing chief to focus on Ford's other strengths in the next year or so. That means there won't be the "planned" publicity around the new engine pre and post launch. Anyone has any news on this?

From BOF here, I've read about the rumors of a new engine for the 2009 model year(?) along w/ a new transmission, IIRC. I'm just going on what I remember reading here, so I could be wrong, though.

My wife has an 06 escape xlt V6 and its great, no complaints at all on power, but i would like to see a 6 speed tranny in their to replace the existing one. But i guess to compete with other companies in the small suv market, they will need at least a 3.5 V6 in there producing no less than 260-270 hp.

My wife has an 06 escape xlt V6 and its great, no complaints at all on power, but i would like to see a 6 speed tranny in their to replace the existing one. But i guess to compete with other companies in the small suv market, they will need at least a 3.5 V6 in there producing no less than 260-270 hp.

I think it is getting a 6-speed next year (along w/ the new engine), but I don't know for sure.

Based on the recent news it is clear the 2.0L, 275hp/280torque EcoBoost with a six speed transmission is slated for this vehicle maybe as soon as 2009 for the 2010 model.

Dream on !

They aren't just going to grab a hand drill motor and "shoot" another hole in the combustion chamber ! Fitting an injector directly into the chamber will take quite a bit of re-tooling !

After the MKS EcoBoost on the D37, I would not expect to see another EcoBoost engine until 2012MY !

Dream on !

They aren't just going to grab a hand drill motor and "shoot" another hole in the combustion chamber ! Fitting an injector directly into the chamber will take quite a bit of re-tooling !

After the MKS EcoBoost on the D37, I would not expect to see another EcoBoost engine until 2012MY !

Well, we already know that the Flex and Taurus are getting it soon after the MKS (in 2009, I assume as MY2010 vehicles). The new Explorer is due out before MY2012, and it will have both the 2.0 and 3.5.

Whether the Escape gets it is doubtful, but the launch of a second EcoBoost engine in the U.S. looks solid for about 2010 with a 1.4 in the works that we know of for 2010 or so as well (but maybe not stateside at first).

Dream on !

I can't imagine it taking that long if they already have 3.5EF almost ready to go into the MKS?

Dream on !

No EcoBoost D37 is planned

• 2 weeks later...

Ford made the anticipated engine announcement for the Escape and Mariner yesterday...

2009 Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner crossovers improve fuel efficiency with new, more powerful I-4 and V-6 engines and 6-speed transmissions.

Ford’s full-hybrid Escape and Mariner gain performance and refinement improvements for 2009.

Fuel-efficient new 2.5-liter Engine

The new 2009 Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner make strides in fuel economy and emissions with a new, 2.5-liter engine and a smooth new fuel-saving 6-speed automatic transmission.

Not only is the new powertrain expected to improve the Escape and Mariner’s EPA estimated fuel economy by 1 mile per gallon, it will also give the customer an 11 percent increase in horsepower to 170 horsepower.

The new 2.5-liter engine with intake variable cam timing (IVCT) boasts a 17-horsepower increase in output over the outgoing 2.3-liter engine.

Responsive with its peak 166 ft. lb. of torque, the engine also is refined, with dual-mode crankshaft damping, electronic throttle control and PowerPC engine electronic control.

The anticipated 1 mpg improvement in fuel economy will make Escape and Mariner more than competitive in the segment. With the improvements, Escape and Mariner also achieve ULEV II emissions certification.

An optional, 230-hp, 3.0-liter V-6 engine – a 30-hp increase over last year – also is offered. It, too, will offer an estimated 1 mpg fuel economy improvement and better acceleration, thanks to the new 6-speed transmission and engine enhancements, including new pistons, cylinder heads and fuel injection system.

Spotlight on Fuel Efficiency, Even in the Performance Version

The new, more fuel-efficient automatic 6-speed transmission featured in the Escape and Mariner offers a significant improvement in powertrain smoothness and drivability, replacing the four-speed automatic previously offered.

Its flexibility allows Escape and Mariner to feature a longer final-drive ratio for optimal fuel economy, while its smooth-shifting quality provides an enhanced experience for the driver, especially in combination with the more powerful engines in the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner family.

Wow, the 2.5 liter increased Gas mileage in the escape by 1 mpg..... wow thats alot. GOOD JOB FORD.

Yes, but it also has increased horsepower by 11% to 170-hp. (don't know the old hp figures, so I don't know the hp difference, only percentage from the article)

Edited by rmc523

So is this the new 2.5 that the CD3 twins will get next year then?

The new 2009 Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner make strides in fuel economy and emissions with a new, 2.5-liter engine and a smooth new fuel-saving 6-speed automatic transmission.