Detroit News Talks up the F-150

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What began as a plan to slam a new grille on the existing model became a nearly complete redesign of the truck. While Ford is holding back full details until the F-150's official debut at the North American International Auto Show, The Detroit News has learned that Ford's designers and engineers have touched nearly every piece of the truck, inside and out -- all in an effort to make sure America's best-selling vehicle stays ahead of the competition.

Those two pictures and the staement show a great deal...this truck has alot of change to it.

Edited by suv_guy_19

That grille took me totally by surprise. What is Ford thinking?? That's the worst F-150 grille I've seen. Ford or the media may prove me wrong, but I'll say this. We all remember what happened in 2005 when both Ford and Chrysler released their competitive full size sedans at the same time. Chrysler received many accolades and Ford blended into the background. I'm not suggesting that the Dodge Ram will out sell the F-150, but I think the new Ram half-ton will do a number on Ford and GM retail sales to private customers. Chrysler has put together one heck of a truck. Its newly worked 5.7 Hemi will make 380 horsepower and 404 lbs.-ft. torque and deliver 4% better gas mileage than the 2008 model. They also claim that the Ram R/T will feature a higher performance torque convertor and a 4.10 rear that will guarantee it to be the quickest half-ton on the market...for those interested in acceleration bragging rights.

I'm not liking the grille...looks like that of the CV...everything curvy and round, then this upright grille added to it that has some hard edges that do not flow.

Nice to see where their plans went...they just wanted to slap a new grille...gotta love competition, thats why they had to get this act together :)

Put me down as "not quite fond of the grille"

However this is one of those innovations that is going to have GM and Dodge (and Toyota and Nissan) smacking their heads and thinking, "Why didn't we think of that?"

The new towing package includes a state-of-the-art trailer sway mitigation system. Developed by Robert Bosch GmbH, it uses the truck's roll stability control system, also standard on all models, to bring the vehicle under control if the trailer it is towing begins to sway.

"We really wanted to make a statement on safety and give people the confidence to use the truck's towing capability," said Matt O'Leary, the chief engineer on the F-150 program. "It comes from listening to our customers."

That is just a totally smart idea--it's blindingly obviously now that someone's actually done it. Tacky grille aside, this is EXACTLY why the F150 is where it is today.

That grille took me totally by surprise. What is Ford thinking?? That's the worst F-150 grille I've seen. Ford or the media may prove me wrong, but I'll say this. We all remember what happened in 2005 when both Ford and Chrysler released their competitive full size sedans at the same time. Chrysler received many accolades and Ford blended into the background. I'm not suggesting that the Dodge Ram will out sell the F-150, but I think the new Ram half-ton will do a number on Ford and GM retail sales to private customers. Chrysler has put together one heck of a truck. Its newly worked 5.7 Hemi will make 380 horsepower and 404 lbs.-ft. torque and deliver 4% better gas mileage than the 2008 model. They also claim that the Ram R/T will feature a higher performance torque convertor and a 4.10 rear that will guarantee it to be the quickest half-ton on the market...for those interested in acceleration bragging rights.

The first thing that hit me when I saw the pics was "Explorer Sport Trac". Not sure why...but it did.

And for a vehicle that supposedly had "nearly every piece touched"...it sure looks like they just freshened the front end.

Oh my God....

Well now we know it's chances just got worse with that monstronsity of a grill, it looks like the Focus design crew got their hands on it! The truck overall looks the same, but different shaped headlights and the fugly Super Duty like grill. It even has some straight out of the 80's GM rubber trim strip along the sides, and the tails appear to have ghetto chrome in them.

Fire the entire Ford design staff..

I'm not liking the grille...looks like that of the CV...everything curvy and round, then this upright grille added to it that has some hard edges that do not flow.

Nice to see where their plans went...they just wanted to slap a new grille...gotta love competition, thats why they had to get this act together :)

What's funny is that it ended up being pretty much nothing but a new grill..

The thing that gets me is that Ram actually looks better, their grill looks well integrated, Ford's looks like they just slapped on the Super Duty grill with some Elmers glue.. :banghead:

Oh my God....

Fire the entire Ford design staff..

I tried to tell everyone this truck was ugly at the SOTF event, but no one would listen. But don't worry they do have some bolder looking grilles that do fit the design language of this truck much better.

Edited by J2D