Seen the new F150 at the West Virginia auto show

dave91gt

And I must say, I believe they screwed up the styling. This is my opinion, but the new truck had less traffic than the current one. The model they had was the blue FX4. The doors were locked and the hood shut. I personally was disappointed. The little drop piece on the headlights looks cheesy as well as the taillights. The interior (looking through the window) looks impressive, but it doesnt match the style of the exterior. The FX4 wheels are ugly and not a bit off roadish looking. I am a long time blue oval lover. I drag race a 91 GT and have owned at least 8 F-series ranging from a 78 F150, 88 f150, 03 F250 gas, 03 F250 diesel (7.3), and currently an 03 F150 Screw. I just think the styling leads a lot to be desired and I reserved judgement until I seen one in person. Curious as to what the other styles look like.

And I must say, I believe they screwed up the styling. This is my opinion, but the new truck had less traffic than the current one. The model they had was the blue FX4. The doors were locked and the hood shut. I personally was disappointed. The little drop piece on the headlights looks cheesy as well as the taillights. The interior (looking through the window) looks impressive, but it doesnt match the style of the exterior. The FX4 wheels are ugly and not a bit off roadish looking. I am a long time blue oval lover. I drag race a 91 GT and have owned at least 8 F-series ranging from a 78 F150, 88 f150, 03 F250 gas, 03 F250 diesel (7.3), and currently an 03 F150 Screw. I just think the styling leads a lot to be desired and I reserved judgement until I seen one in person. Curious as to what the other styles look like.

I saw the same truck in Charleston last Friday. I think the styling was pretty bland on that particular truck. The grill and headlights were not inspiring. While it is not ugly, it is not an attention getter in this trim package. Hopefully other models will be better looking. Overall, I think the styling changes are not fatal or anything like that, but they are not going to help attract attention to the vehicle. Though I am not a Dodge fan, I think the new Ram did improve their look. I especially like the rear bumper/tailpipe. Makes the rear look nicely finished.

The guys with me, and one is a truck fan, hardly said a word about the new 150. But, they were impressed with a couple King Ranch '08's that were on display.

I would like to see Ford be able to develop an F-100 about the size of a Nissan Frontier. I think if it was priced right, had decent styling, delivered significantly better mileage than a 150 there just might be a market for it. There is still a lot of smaller trucks being sold in this part of the country and I just think Ford needs to be a player, if they can afford it.

Yeah, everyone seems to agree the F150 was overshadowed by the RAM.

Yeah, everyone seems to agree the F150 was overshadowed by the RAM.

IMO, the passage of time will not be as kind to the Ram.

This design, IMO, is what should've been done 3 years ago. The '03 Ram was, I thought, quite good looking, and the '06 messed that up. This is just a return to the cleaner lines of the '03.

However, this is very much a yester-think design.

In the vacuum of press photography, it looks nice. On the road, however, it will barely stand out from preceding Rams.

On the F150 they did at least emphasize points of difference in a body with carryover hardpoints (hood/grille, fenders, taillights).

While some may not be comfortable with the outcome (as with the SD), both F-Series designs are moving while Dodge & GM continue to revisit old forms.

Also, while I was buying spark plugs last Sunday, I was glancing at the rack of truck magazines under the checkout counter, and (being occupied by other things) I saw one and thought, "How the heck did they get a pic of the new F150 out the day the embargo ended? Then I realized it was the SD.

For better or worse, as they have in the past, Ford is pushing the design envelope with the F-Series.

And after 30+ years of doing that, they're still #1, so they must be doing something right.

The F-150, like the Super Duty, only work well in full dress. The stripped down models don't compliment the design balance they have drawn with those flamboyant fascias. The F-150 looks great to me in person, I do prefer the chiseled to the soft and sculpted look of the Ram. As Richard says, the design impresses more in person than in photography.

I think the Ram stands out less than the F-150, particularly in person. There is a substantial different in the design sophisticated when you physically compare the two. The F-150 is a much stronger and more contemporary design, the Ram is more of the same, a slight evolution of an existing theme.

I'm surprised it's at other auto shows so quickly after NAIAS.

Edited by rmc523

I think the Ram stands out less than the F-150, particularly in person. There is a substantial different in the design sophisticated when you physically compare the two. The F-150 is a much stronger and more contemporary design, the Ram is more of the same, a slight evolution of an existing theme.

Yeah, I would agree, the new F-150 looks very strong and capable to do tough work. That is cool too how you press button and side step up pops out. You can also get built in bed extender like Super Duty which is nice feature. Lots of cool features on this truck. I think Ford has a winner here.

My initial impression of the new design is more favorable than that of the previous (current) design, which grew on me in time. There are little quibbles (the droop in the headlights, the shape of the taillights), but nothing that would stop me from buying one. The fact that none of them seat seven is the deal-breaker (but that's what SUV's are for). I'm officially out of the pickup market until a couple of my kids grow up (unless Ford comes through with a killer 4x4 Ranger redesign I can claim as my daily driver; I'm not holding my breath).

The new Super Duty frontend took a while to grow on me, and now it's not so bad. Except for the stripped models, which look like something out of the Special Olympics. I get the purpose of the lower headlights, but, yeesh!!!

2008FordF-350%20Su.jpg

2182512773_a9e8529f4c.jpg

In 1997 Ford seperated the F150 styling and platform from the Super Duty now they are keeping the vastly different platforms but are trying to style the F-150 as close as possible the the Super Duty.

I suppose this new F-150 style is to prepare the truck for a future diesel engine. Maybe Ford will go all the way and cut fender gill vents when the diesel finally arrives.

The fact you thought the Super Duty picture was the new F-150 may not be good for personal use Super Duty buyers, some of them buy the truck because it doesn't look like a "half ton."

I too was surprised they had one on display. In addition, they had a Flex Limited on the turntable as well as a new Bullit Stang. I may be simply conservative on my styling tastes. But I do agree with the one poster that stated Ford trucks look better on the higher end versions. The current FX4 is very tough and I think the design works well between the interior and exterior. Maybe it was the color scheme of the FX4 that I didnt like. There is a black XLT floating around on the boards that do a better job of hiding the ugliness. It actually looks good for what it is worth. One thing I am keeping in mind is that there are different wheel packages as well as paint schemes for everyone. I didnt like the color/wheel scheme on the one at the autoshow. It looked cartoonish. As far as the Ram goes, I think the normal Dodge fan will applaud it simply because it is a Dodge. I do not see them gaining market share from Ford on a significant basis. One thing I do not understand is this. Dodge was able to gain alot of horsepower from their 4.7 since it's inception. Ford had to resort to 3V heads and I do not think they match the 4.7 in hp and torque currently even with that change. Isn't the 4.7 an OHC motor like the 4.6?

My initial impression of the new design is more favorable than that of the previous (current) design, which grew on me in time. There are little quibbles (the droop in the headlights, the shape of the taillights), but nothing that would stop me from buying one. The fact that none of them seat seven is the deal-breaker (but that's what SUV's are for). I'm officially out of the pickup market until a couple of my kids grow up (unless Ford comes through with a killer 4x4 Ranger redesign I can claim as my daily driver; I'm not holding my breath).

The new Super Duty frontend took a while to grow on me, and now it's not so bad. Except for the stripped models, which look like something out of the Special Olympics. I get the purpose of the lower headlights, but, yeesh!!!

How would a truck seat 7? (besides putting people in the bed or 3 rows)

In 1997 Ford seperated the F150 styling and platform from the Super Duty now they are keeping the vastly different platforms but are trying to style the F-150 as close as possible the the Super Duty.

I suppose this new F-150 style is to prepare the truck for a future diesel engine. Maybe Ford will go all the way and cut fender gill vents when the diesel finally arrives.

The fact you thought the Super Duty picture was the new F-150 may not be good for personal use Super Duty buyers, some of them buy the truck because it doesn't look like a "half ton."

I wouldn't be surprised if you saw fender vents on diesel models.