• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I hate about the current state of the Panthers is that Ford just doesn't seem like it is making up its mind.

It would be fine if they updated them with new interiors, exteriors and modern features, but they refuse to do so. It would be fine if they stopped making the CV, TC and GM, but they won't do that either, at least not now.

If they are going to put the Ford brands on these cars, they should at least make an effort with them.

One of the keys of the Japanese success -- in my opinion -- is that they did not let their vehicles whither on the vine. They stuck with all their vehicles, trying to find improvements at every step. They don't just keep changing course because new management, new tastes or a new theory comes out saying that this car is stupid and they should make different cars with new names to replace them.

Edited by johnnyb82

A Town Car handles just fine? I've driven one...and I don't think I'm going to trust what you say anymore.

By that logic the F250's handle like crap too.

Each vehicle handles fine for it's intended purpose. You are not going to carve corners with a TC or a F250 that is not their intended purpose. The purpose of the TC is to isolate you as much as possible from road imperfections.

Hell by the loginc a lot of people are using the 4x4 F250's are crap too as they are sitting on a suspension and chassis design that dates back over a century. Solid Axels on a ladder frame.

But the trucks full fill their intended purpose better than any others. Just as the panthers full fill thier inteteded purpose better than any other. Lets keep things in perspective here.

No other car does he job the that is called on of the Panthers better.

So weather the Panthers are better or not is non issue, as they are best there is for roles they are called upon to full fill.

What the real argument is. Is that role still going to be around 5 6 and 10 years from now.

That is the real issue.

Weather you hate the panthers or not is entirly up to you but they are the best cars on the road for the roles they fullfill.

Matthew

Each vehicle handles fine for it's intended purpose. You are not going to carve corners with a TC or a F250 that is not their intended purpose. The purpose of the TC is to isolate you as much as possible from road imperfections.

Hell by the loginc a lot of people are using the 4x4 F250's are crap too as they are sitting on a suspension and chassis design that dates back over a century. Solid Axels on a ladder frame.

But the trucks full fill their intended purpose better than any others. Just as the panthers full fill thier inteteded purpose better than any other. Lets keep things in perspective here.

So weather the Panthers are better or not is non issue, as they are best there is for roles they are called upon to full fill.

What the real argument is. Is that role still going to be around 5 6 and 10 years from now.

That is the real issue.

Weather you hate the panthers or not is entirly up to you but they are the best cars on the road for the roles they fullfill.

Matthew

I agree, they do fulfill their intended purpose very well, and yes, an F250 does handle much like crap. The Town Car is a very good livery car, your right. I was really only trying to say the same thing as you in regards to the handling, it just didn't look right. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree, they do fulfill their intended purpose very well, and yes, an F250 does handle much like crap. The Town Car is a very good livery car, your right. I was really only trying to say the same thing as you in regards to the handling, it just didn't look right. Sorry for the confusion.

What surprised me was how well the solid-front axle Super Duty rides. It is amazing how much suspension technology has changed in the past 20-25 years.

What surprised me was how well the solid-front axle Super Duty rides. It is amazing how much suspension technology has changed in the past 20-25 years.

Yeah, your right, they don't ride all that bad. A Town Car certainly beats in in the ride department though lol. In a TC all you need is a big screen TV and I would forget I wasn't in my living room :P lol.

Edited by suv_guy_19

I'd drive my 300 into a river (how lucky, theres one only a couple hundred feet away....although it is a little frozen) if I could have an MKS...doesn't even have to be AWD.

You could drive it onto the ice and let it sit there until it melts, and watch it sink. :titanic:

That is the real issue.

Matthew

The Panther is pretty much the best at what it's good at... low-maintenance, low operating cost, long distance highway cruising. However, let's not pretend that there's a future in the retail market for these cars. I'd pick one up for the simple reason that you can get a practically brand new 2007 Grand Marquis with less than 20,000 miles on it for around $12,000, and you know you'll get another 140,000 miles out of it with little complaint.

However, this is not the car Americans want. Ford needs to build cars American want.

As for handling, I'm aware of the Panther's prowess if you know how to drive it right. Back in college, a friend of mine had a pair of 1988 Town Cars, and aside from functioning as a tank/battering ram, it performed some pretty remarkable moves on some literal mountain switchbacks and hairpins. The key, like you said, is letting it settle, and then powering out of it. But for ordinary Americans, that ain't going to cut it.

I'd drive my 300 into a river (how lucky, theres one only a couple hundred feet away....although it is a little frozen) if I could have an MKS...doesn't even have to be AWD.

So...what I am hearing, is you'd toss your Mercedes based-American styled car away in favor of a Volvo based-Lexus styled one? You coulda helped yourself to the same thing with the Volvo based-old Audi/blinged Tempo styling found in the Five Hundread or a "new" Taurus. need_drugs.gif

Or you could just saved me alot of trouble in putting those last two sentences together by purchasing an American engineered and designed platform like the Panther. :happy feet:

So...what I am hearing, is you'd toss your Mercedes based-American styled car away in favor of a Volvo based-Lexus styled one? You coulda helped yourself to the same thing with the Volvo based-old Audi/blinged Tempo styling found in the Five Hundread or a "new" Taurus. need_drugs.gif

Or you could just saved me alot of trouble in putting those last two sentences together by purchasing an American engineered and designed platform like the Panther. :happy feet:

He did consider the Five Hundred and Taurus, the 300 fit his price range better. There was a thread about it somewhere.

He did consider the Five Hundred and Taurus, the 300 fit his price range better. There was a thread about it somewhere.

It in open topic. I did look at a 500 first, but the trims below Limited are ugly IMO, it was out of my price range (except for one with VERY high mileage), and so I went with the 300.

Edited by suv_guy_19

It in open topic. I did look at a 500 first, but the trims below Limited are ugly IMO, it was out of my price range (except for one with VERY high mileage), and so I went with the 300.

I agree with you that models below Limited aren't too good looking. I understand your purchasing decision.

Uh, no. I'm not part of the Pmafia, but there is more ability there than you might expect.

Thats how it was...

I'm telling you how it is today.

The new ( this year ) cars have outstanding handling characteristic that I have never seen in this class of car. Its very solid, predictable and pretty responsive ( within the limit of a 224HP engine :ohsnap: ). There is a very close coupled steel on steel quality about the current models that is almost harsh. I guess I agree with the poster who said he drives a "panther" EXACTLY the way he drives a Mustang Cobra. The current "panthers" have a "like on rails" quality about them that has never been seen on this type of car. And I've been driving 'em for 20 years.

Of course if all you've ever driven was a "welfare wagon", your not going to sit down in a "panther" and get maximum results. Most of the guys I know in that league just freeze up at the thought of trying to handle the "monster" :hysterical: to ever get anything much out of one.

And, I have seen timed tests conducted by "panther" drivers a good deal better than me ;) . These guys easily cream a lot of high end sports cars... and I am not kidding you here. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't witnessed it myself. Particularly in handling, scores in favor of the "panthers" was several seconds ( NOT fractions of a second ). Acceleration was predictably not as good, but braking was comparable :huh: and within inches... not feet.

This ain't my grand daddies Merc, and it sure as hell will beat your best sports car on any measure except acceleration. Gotta agree with the guy who said if Ford built all their cars like they build the "panthers" they'd be number one. Have to add, that Ford has done an outstandign job turning what was a barge into something like a fighter plane.

If your a customer for one of these cars, they are generally OK.

Edited by SysEng