MAC Vs. PC

Furious1Auto

... and Dell charges $7000 for 32GB of RAM on their top of the line machines.

But most people (who actually need the high end power of either machine) will not buy their RAM from the manufacturer and instead buy from a 3rd party, and install their own for $2500.

You would be wrong in assuming that....Corporations will pay that just to keep their warrenties from being Voided

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A comparison of the all-in-ones from Dell, HP, & Apple show that they all are similarly priced when the differences in options are taken into account.

dell.tiff

hp.tiff

imac.tiff

...they're all in the same ballpark.

Unless corporations have a business need for space, they aren't going to justify that kind of purchase. I know of corporations still running CRT monitors because they can't justify a $50 increase per computer just to save some space which they have plenty of. You can get CPU + monitor for a lot cheaper than that - and we haven't even talked about thin clients yet. Macs make the most sense for people who want no-hassle computing, but you do pay more to get it.

Edited by SVT_MAN

You would be wrong in assuming that....Corporations will pay that just to keep their warrenties from being Voided

Installing RAM usually does not void warranties.

I thought that's one of the things that IT departments do.

Also, it's not always corporations that buy the high end Dell and Apple machines. Many prosumers will use them and install their own RAM.

Unless corporations have a business need for space, they aren't going to justify that kind of purchase. I know of corporations still running CRT monitors because they can't justify a $50 increase per computer just to save some space which they have plenty of. You can get CPU + monitor for a lot cheaper than that - and we haven't even talked about thin clients yet. Macs make the most sense for people who want no-hassle computing, but you do pay more to get it.

You point was Macs always cost more than PCs. I was just showing that they are not always more than PCs (when looking at equivalent setups). Now, that doesn't mean Apple has a machine in all market segments (such as the corporation and thin client scenarios), so buying a Mac for use in that segment of the will be more expensive, but that is not what you had stated.

I'm not trying to start a Mac/PC war. Both are tools for people to use. Whatever tool works best for you, go for it. I'm just trying to clear up some common myths about Macs.

Installing RAM usually does not void warranties.

I thought that's one of the things that IT departments do.

Well in my experance with my job, yep I've installed RAM in the Dell work stations we have, but it was Dell branded memory that was installed in it. If you used some sort of oddball brand memory in it, its not covered by the warrenty we had with Dell.

Also, it's not always corporations that buy the high end Dell and Apple machines. Many prosumers will use them and install their own RAM.

Uh no duh....

If I'm not mistaken, 32 gb of RAM is something like $8,000 from Mac!? Who buys that stuff?

well, duh...

this is your quote I was responding to.

I guess if your company is buying Dell (or any major computer manufacturer) branded RAM - like the $7000 Dell branded RAM I mentioned in my post - then I guess you're buying that stuff.

If you're a prosumer or your company is buying non-branded RAM, then you're not buying that stuff.

duh.

Edited by CJRivera

Basically, it comes down to this:

6-MacGuy-012808.jpg

Disclaimer: I like MacOSX as an operating system. I've said that several times.

That said, I can't stand Mac users who think they are superior to you BECAUSE THEY OWN A MAC COMPUTER. How ridiculous is that? That's like saying you're better than me because you shop at Crate and Barrel. This type of user exists. Don't deny it. Put them right in there with those who think they are superior because they drive a Toyota Prius.

Get it through your skull people .. buying a product DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER PERSON!

[end of rant]

http://adage.com/article?article_id=123350

This is all backed by independent research.

Edited by SVT_MAN

If the Mac operating systems are just soooo bitchen', why did Apple start building Macs that can run Windows?

Any of you Mac lemmings ever try to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity? How the hell do you ping something with that pile of shit?

1) Open terminal; type ping <hostname>

2) Apps:Utilities:Network Utility, click on Ping tab

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Get it through your skull people .. buying a product DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BETTER PERSON!

It's kind of like the Christian "faith"/"works" debate. Good works do not get you into heaven, just like buying better products do not make you a better person.

But one who has faith will produce good works. And a better person will buy better products.

2) Two ways: Go to utilities and click on either "terminal" or "network utility" One lets you type straight up 'nix commands (use it to SSH into our server all the time) the other has a tab helpfully labeled Ping (I have both pinned to my Dock)

I mean you got the whole slate of 'nix commands at your disposal, so you can troubleshoot network issues arguably with greater precision than you can with Vista.

Suppose I should read the whole thread before responding...

a better person will buy better products.

Oh horse apples!

You are making a judgment about a person being 'better' or 'worse' and this relative excellence is assumed to impact purchasing decisions? Zeeeowwwieeee. Remind me never to tell you what I buy, lest it lead you to rather unpleasant conclusions about me.

I'd rather you come to those conclusions on established and traditional terms: gender, religion, race, and nationality.

Basically, it comes down to this:

6-MacGuy-012808.jpg

Disclaimer: I like MacOSX as an operating system. I've said that several times.

That said, I can't stand Mac users who think they are superior to you BECAUSE THEY OWN A MAC COMPUTER. How ridiculous is that? That's like saying you're better than me because you shop at Crate and Barrel. This type of user exists. Don't deny it. Put them right in there with those who think they are superior because they drive a Toyota Prius.

[end of rant]

http://adage.com/article?article_id=123350

This is all backed by independent research.

I can see several of those attributes in some of the Mac owners I know (although I see it in some PC owners as well)...

but is it "arrogant" to be satisfied with their purchase?

if that's the case, I wish Ford had more "arrogant" customers.

And paying for and listening to music is arrogant?

Oh horse apples!

You are making a judgment about a person being 'better' or 'worse' and this relative excellence is assumed to impact purchasing decisions? Zeeeowwwieeee. Remind me never to tell you what I buy, lest it lead you to rather unpleasant conclusions about me.

I'd rather you come to those conclusions on established and traditional terms: gender, religion, race, and nationality.

You must be a Lutheran. :)

(I kid, I kid. I respect any purchase decision made with conscious thought, even if the conclusions differ from mine.)

It's kind of like the Christian "faith"/"works" debate. Good works do not get you into heaven, just like buying better products do not make you a better person.

But one who has faith will produce good works. And a better person will buy better products.

I was with you on your analogy until your last sentence, which is absolute hogwash ...

But, I must have had that page with the 11th commandment ripped out of my Bible: "Thou shalt buy good products if thyself is good" page ripped out of my Bible ...

You must be a Lutheran.

I'm rather surprised you can tell Richard what denomination he is based on his comments ... ?

the last sentence should have read ...a smarter buyer will tend to buy better products.

Buying better products does not in itself mean someone is better, just that they make better decisions. A mass murderer that likes to purchase only top of the line, high quality handguns is not a "better person", just someone that makes good decisions about the purchase of his tool of choice.

MAC OS is a quality OS that achieves its ease of use and stability goals. MAC hardware is nothing more than customized PC hardware now, so arguing over the hardware is pointless. Windows Vista can be as nice or as useless as you want it to be. Yes, there were some changes made for change's sake and others were made to avoid royalties, but, on the whole, you cna still accomplish what you set out to once you learn the OS. The problem is that with Vista, they had to idiot proof the OS and endemnify MS against lawsuits for the stupid decisions of its users. The MAC OS takes a lot out of your hands and presents you with only what you need, but, due to its nature, everything else can be got at if you reallly want to. Most MAC OS users are satisfied with the basic setup of the OS and don't want to go under the hood anyway, so the basics work quite well for a majority of their buyers anyway. Its a well targeted product that meets its internal goals. Nothing wrong with that at all.