MAC Vs. PC

Furious1Auto

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told you, its no fun on this thread, but if you really want me to OK. Mac is better than PC. I am a convert.

Wanna bet PC's are better and less restrictive, they also cost less for the hardware and software! Just like that stupid a-s over priced I-Pod and I-phone! Besides until windows was available for MAC no one knew how to use their software!

I'm a Mac guy myself. I have a 20" iMac Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.5 Leopard and it is a great computer! I also have a Lenovo Core Duo notebook running Vista Business and there is no comparison between Mac OSX and Vista. OSX is faster and smoother and just works. Vista is glitchy and filled with millions of little pop-ups that ask "Do you really want to do this?" PC's are cheaper, but that is about it. I bought the notebook because I needed to run Windows for the work I do in the National Guard, however my iMac is my main home computer. The Mac does everything the PC does, but better and faster without any glitches. Honestly if you have ever found yourself swearing at your PC you owe it to yourself to go down the the local Apple store and check out a Mac. I have both and I can tell you the Mac is a far superior computer.

BTW Mac is Mac and not MAC. Mac is short for Macintosh. MAC is Media Access Control (ie: A MAC address)

Edited by 2005Explorer

I'm a Mac guy myself. I have a 20" iMac Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.5 Leopard and it is a great computer! I also have a Lenovo Core Duo notebook running Vista Business and there is no comparison between Mac OSX and Vista. OSX is faster and smoother and just works. Vista is glitchy and filled with millions of little pop-ups that ask "Do you really want to do this?" PC's are cheaper, but that is about it. I bought the notebook because I needed to run Windows for the work I do in the National Guard, however my iMac is my main home computer. The Mac does everything the PC does, but better and faster without any glitches. Honestly if you have ever found yourself swearing at your PC you owe it to yourself to go down the the local Apple store and check out a Mac. I have both and I can tell you the Mac is a far superior computer.

BTW Mac is Mac and not MAC. Mac is short for Macintosh. MAC is Media Access Control (ie: A MAC address)

How many Operating Systems has Windows 95 98 ME 2000 XP Vista it can't be cheap having to keep upgrading all you software & hardware every few years when you find out it does not work, Direct X 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 that must have stopped a lot of video cards games from working does not sound very cheap to me?

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I had Vista. Its why I have a Mac now. Your right, its simpler, smoother, more intuitive, and just generally better all around.

How many Operating Systems has Windows 95 98 ME 2000 XP Vista it can't be cheap having to keep upgrading all you software & hardware every few years when you find out it does not work, Direct X 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 that must have stopped a lot of video cards games from working does not sound very cheap to me?

since Mac OS 1 through 6 were all before 1992, you're argument doesn't really say much, at least not the way you've put it. Nor does it show that you know much about Mac upgrade cycles either, cause lately, 10.x upgrades have been just as significant as the going from Mac OS 8 to 9....

So yeah, when you look at 10.1 through 10.5 which has happened all since 2001 or 2002 or so, you see Apple have updated their software a lot more frequently than windows. Is that a bad thing? That'd be like complaining about Ford updating the new Taurus so soon. Can you seriously complain about progress? They've improved their OS continually and steadily while MS has struggled to get one major Windows upgrade to market. Now continual progress might be kinda annoying if it means you gotta keep upgrading your hardware and dealing with the hassle of compatibility issues. But that kind of thinking comes from somebody who's just been dealing with a major Windows upgrade. Don't base your opinion on Mac OS upgrades on your recent experiences upgrading to Vista. XP to Vista is more like Mac OS9 to OS 10.5, we've just had a nice gradual and completely optional progression in between, rather than a giant leap that requires a new computer and massive compatibility issues. They're also really good about keeping old hardware in the loop- my folks run a seven year old Mac that runs on OS 10.4.

Other than that, the style thing is kinda annoying, cause now everybody thinks i have a mac just to look cool. When really, i use a mac just cause that's what i grew up with, and I'm more used to it, and have seen absolutely no reason to switch out of it.

I don't care to argue about whether Macs or PCs are better. If you read my post carefully, there are advantages and disadvantages to both ...

I know Macs are used heavily in the publishing industry - my girlfriend's dad works for a printing company and they exclusively use Macs. I was talking about using them for spreadsheet work, word processing, etc. (You know, the stuff that probably makes 10x the revenue of art work .. and this is coming form a guy who does web design and print work on a PC!)

Of course, Mac users are always right and attack PC users because they are clearly better people than PC users. Or at least that's how I feel when my GF is around even though she doesn't know a .kext file from a JPEG file. My experience with Mac users from my university (my GF included) is that they think they know everything about computers when in fact they know nothing.

There are Mac users out there who do know about computers, but they are few and far between. By and large, most Mac users want something they can plug in and never deal with again.

People who bash on Vista probably owe it to themselves to drive down to their local Mac store and buy a Mac. I won't go into why, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist. Vista is a solid, stable operating system. It's pretty laughable that people bash on Microsoft for bad drivers. You do know that Microsoft doesn't write the drivers for your hardware correct? The alternative is buying a Macintosh that you might be able to get a powerful system with, but guess what? Want to upgrade your video card when your computer gets older? Good luck. Hope Mac has drivers for that.

You're also going to need to buy a copy of Windows to load alongside MacOSX with Bootcamp so you can play games. You're also going to need to make sure you don't install any hardware that Mac doesn't like. I like MacOSX though - but those of you saying it has great driver support are nuts. The only thing that Mac has good driver support is for cameras - and PCs support cameras as well or better than Macs.

My girlfriend just recently lost her ENTIRE collection of photos in iPhoto. She claimed it happened when she loaded her Canon digital camera with iPhoto. The guys at her dad's business were able to recover the photos - WITH software - but that's the whole problem with MacOSX. Since the photos show up in iPhoto, she thinks the photos are in iPhoto. I've tried explaning to her that they are really just on a folder in her hard drive, but she always thought iPhoto was a container for her photos. And that isn't the case - iPhoto isn't a container. It simply reads directories and photos that you specify. Lucky for her, she was able to recover her photos - but to me, software like that breeds users who dont understand how or where files are stored and that is a dangerous thing. PCs are admittedly harder to use in that regard, but at least PC users are able to understand where photos are stored.

As I said before, the only thing I don't like about Macs are their goofy hardware. If Macintosh designed their hardware as well as their operating system, I'd actually buy one. For now, I'll just run MacOSX on my MacIntel.

XP to Vista is more like Mac OS9 to OS 10.5, we've just had a nice gradual and completely optional progression in between, rather than a giant leap that requires a new computer and massive compatibility issues.

This is so far from the truth. Vista has its issues, but the driver issues are highly overpublicized. Vista driver isues have NOTHING to do with Microsoft. Vista's driver issues are VENDOR PROBLEMS, not Microsoft's. I throw Microsoft under the bus all the time for some of their craptacular software, but drivers are not Microsoft's fault. Microsoft has a TON of driver support. Try running a SATA controller on MacOSX. Or ANY video card that doesn't ship with a Macintosh. I had a heck of a time running an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro on a Mac because there were no decent drivers out there. I had to hack a Linux driver just to get it ot work. How it is MS's fault that Creative Labs has failed to deliver decent drivers for Sound Blaster sound cards on Vista? It isn't.

Windows is the de facto standard ...

Edited by SVT_MAN

since Mac OS 1 through 6 were all before 1992, you're argument doesn't really say much, at least not the way you've put it. Nor does it show that you know much about Mac upgrade cycles either, cause lately, 10.x upgrades have been just as significant as the going from Mac OS 8 to 9....

So yeah, when you look at 10.1 through 10.5 which has happened all since 2001 or 2002 or so, you see Apple have updated their software a lot more frequently than windows. Is that a bad thing? That'd be like complaining about Ford updating the new Taurus so soon. Can you seriously complain about progress? They've improved their OS continually and steadily while MS has struggled to get one major Windows upgrade to market. Now continual progress might be kinda annoying if it means you gotta keep upgrading your hardware and dealing with the hassle of compatibility issues. But that kind of thinking comes from somebody who's just been dealing with a major Windows upgrade. Don't base your opinion on Mac OS upgrades on your recent experiences upgrading to Vista. XP to Vista is more like Mac OS9 to OS 10.5, we've just had a nice gradual and completely optional progression in between, rather than a giant leap that requires a new computer and massive compatibility issues. They're also really good about keeping old hardware in the loop- my folks run a seven year old Mac that runs on OS 10.4.

Other than that, the style thing is kinda annoying, cause now everybody thinks i have a mac just to look cool. When really, i use a mac just cause that's what i grew up with, and I'm more used to it, and have seen absolutely no reason to switch out of it.

If you want go into more detail

Direct X 1, 2, 2a, 3, 3a, 3b, 4, 5, 5b, 5.2 6, 6.1, 6.1a, 7, 7a, 7.1, 8, 8a, 8.1, 8.1a, 8.2, 9, 9a, 9b, 9c, 10, 10.1 put it together with 1000's of graphics cards it is a bit of a nightmare for games development, thats before you even go onto Windows Service Pack updates. You here so many tales that the games, printer, camera no longer work once l upgrade to XP, Vista etc it still don't seem cheap to me.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

You here so many tales that the games, printer, camera no longer work once l upgrade to XP, Vista

I can honestly say that I have never had an issue with any of that since XP. Don't even get me started on the worst operating system EVER (aka Windows ME). XP, by and large, has been great. I haven't had problems with drivers since Windows 98 and that has nothing to do with Microsoft. That is all vendor related. Sure, the vendors are doing a good job communicating with Microsoft, but when you get right down to it, if the vendor doesnt support their hardware, that is their problem, not MS's.

Edited by SVT_MAN

PC is an open architecture supporting Linux, that's what PC means to me and therefore is superior to MAC which is a well designed but closed platform. Windows is well designed for a mass market dependent on commonality and little to no change. From a technology and aesthetic POV, Windows is a dreadful piece of archaic and shoddy programming.

Edited by BORG

PC is an open architecture supporting Linux, that's what PC means to me and therefore is superior to MAC which is a well designed but closed platform. Windows is well designed for a mass market dependent on commonality and little to no change. From a technology and aesthetic POV, Windows is a dreadful piece of archaic and shoddy programming.

Say what? You have to be kidding me...your far more likely to find drivers for Windows based machines for the lastest and greatest hardware then you are on Linux.

Coming from my experance supporting Linux vs Windows, I'd much rather support Windows vs Linux, since I can troubleshoot/figure out what the problem is in half the time it would take on Linux. This is partly due to less hands on use of Linux, but supporting a couple different flavors of Linux at the same time really bites

Vista is crap. The UI is absolute garbage (my opinions, of course). Dialog boxes that had been in place since Windows 95, that worked, f'r cryin' out loud, GONE. Why? Who KNOWS????

The drop down menu bar. A UI standard as long as I've been alive (Xerox Star platform mids 70s). GONE. WHY??????

There are no good answers to these questions. NONE AT ALL.

And, therefore, I consider Vista to be beyond a waste of money. It is, without a doubt, the biggest step backwards that Microsoft has ever taken in terms of usability, and I want no part of it.

It is as though, spurred on by Apple's easy to use OS interface, Microsoft was compelled to make theirs worse.

WHAT IS UP, for instance, WITH NO MORE TITLE BARS????? WHY DID THEY MOVE THE CLOSE/MINIMIZE/ICONIFY BUTTONS???????

What excuse is there, for the havoc that Microsoft has wrought on their desktop interface, I ask you, WHAT???

I have a PC and use Windows XP. I find it easy to use and it works, so its good for me. Macs are pretty simple to use as well, my school uses them.

Richard, it sounds like theres a lot of unnecessary changes from XP to Vista.

I have Vista and actually prefer it to XP, but I didn't have to worry about all of the software backwards compatibility issues because most of the software I aquired I got after I upgraded. Windows is the software that got my 80 year old grand mother using the computer, and even E-mailing, MAC had nothing to do with it, so Gates has earned his keep! I doubt if he had not brought it to market that Apple would have even released it. I know he helped design it when working for Apple, but Microsoft gave it to the world!

Edited by Furious1Auto

I have Vista and actually prefer it to XP, but I didn't have to worry about all of the software backwards compatibility issues because most of the software I aquired I got after I upgraded. Windows is the software that got my 80 year old grand mother using the computer, and even E-mailing, MAC had nothing to do with it, so Gates has earned his keep! I doubt if he had not brought it to market that Apple woud have even released it. I know he helped design it when working for Apple, but Microsoft gave it to the world!

Steve Jobs actually kind of gave Bill Gates the back-hand, too. I mean they had that Microsoft / Apple alliance going a while back, but then as soon as Apple started coming back when they released the iPod, Apple just plain forgot about that and started their dirty Apple ads on TV that portray the PC as an aged geek and the Mac as a punk kid.

In terms of Apple though, MacOSX is a pretty good OS. I'm actually using it to post this message. Honestly, I more or less play around on the OS more than anything. I also run it when my GF is over here because she is more comfortable with it. Funny enough - I know I was bashing on their drivers earlier - but I tweaked a Linux driver for the RealTek audio card I have and it actually works on MacOSX. It actually sounds as good as it does in Vista (which is very good btw).

Vista doesn't have a garbage UI though, in my opinion. I like the new UI, and I think it is a good setup. It hasn't changed as much as people make it out to be, and if you really hate it so much, the just go back to classic. If UIs never changed, then MacOSX would still be circa Oregon Trail era and Windows would be like 3.11 or something.

Edited by SVT_MAN

1) Classic, which I've tried, retains the misplaced minimize/maximize/close buttons, and the awkwardly changed dialog boxes (you're saving a file, you click on the drop down box that used to give you the directory tree, and now you get a list of websites visited? How is that in any way useful when you're saving a file? IE 7 dissociated IE 6's cool integrated FTP client, so it's not like that list of web addresses will let you save stuff to a server.

2) I'm no fan of the System 7-9 interfaces. OS X shows how you can *update an interface and *make it easier to use. Vista is -not- easier to use, it's just different, and that, IMO, is unjustified.

3) Windows 3.11 was the best Windows interface. They've only gone downhill from there.

Edited by RichardJensen

1) Classic, which I've tried, retains the misplaced minimize/maximize/close buttons, and the awkwardly changed dialog boxes (you're saving a file, you click on the drop down box that used to give you the directory tree, and now you get a list of websites visited? How is that in any way useful when you're saving a file? IE 7 dissociated IE 6's cool integrated FTP client, so it's not like that list of web addresses will let you save stuff to a server.

2) I'm no fan of the System 7-9 interfaces. OS X shows how you can *update an interface and *make it easier to use. Vista is -not- easier to use, it's just different, and that, IMO, is unjustified.

3) Windows 3.11 was the best Windows interface. They've only gone downhill from there.

So basically it's been changed for the sake of change.