Sony Audio

BORG

Ford isn't playing with the miniscule JBL and Pioneer brands anymore, only Sony and Microsoft will do. :)

But yeah, Sony and Microsoft don't mean positive things to me but they do to most.

Of course, all of my home audio/video equipment is either JBL or Pioneer ;)

Edited by BORG

If we're honest, Sony and Microsoft are recognized brands by everybody. JBL and Pioneera are known to enthusiasts like you and I, but not to everybody.

By the way, if Sony's radios are as good as the Microsoft Sync system, it won't matter what brand is on there. I haven't listened to the new Sony system - and neither have you - so until we do, we can't really comment, now can we?

I'm going into this with an open mind.

Ford isn't playing with the miniscule JBL and Pioneer brands anymore, only Sony and Microsoft will do. :)

But yeah, Sony and Microsoft don't mean positive things to me but they do to most.

Of course, all of my home audio/video equipment is either JBL or Pioneer ;)

always had good luck with Pioneer, JBL is part of the Harman group and has one if not the best research facilities in the world which has produced some SERIOUS audiophile equipment ( Revel for instance ) Sony to me is just another 900lb Gorilla like a poker player with all the chips going all in every hand with massive reserves to compensate for the odd loss..a bully as such....home gear Magneplanar speakers ( AMERICAN ) Rogue tube audio amps ( AMERICAN ) Kimber cables ( AMERICAN )......shhhhh, don't tell Pioneer ( not the audio company )

Edited by Deanh

If we're honest, Sony and Microsoft are recognized brands by everybody. JBL and Pioneera are known to enthusiasts like you and I, but not to everybody.

JBL and Pioneer are ok consumer brands for audio, but real good stuff starts with Martinez, Harmon/Kardon, etc...which are higher end brands.

By the way, if Sony's radios are as good as the Microsoft Sync system, it won't matter what brand is on there. I haven't listened to the new Sony system - and neither have you - so until we do, we can't really comment, now can we?

I'm going into this with an open mind.

Ford is very careful to dub everything as "Sony Branded". As if it's not REALLY Sony audio ;)

JBL and Pioneer are ok consumer brands for audio, but real good stuff starts with Martinez, Harmon/Kardon, etc...which are higher end brands.

Most of those "higher end" brands out there are sisters to other brands. For example, Harman International is the home of not only Harman/Kardon, but JBL, Infinity Systems, Mark Levinson, etc. I'm not saying that the higher end audio systems aren't better, but they're usually just other brands under a larger umbrella. I've heard JBL and Harman/Kardon side by side and while the Harman/Kardon had better fidelity, I wouldn't have paid the extra dough to get it.

The funny implication I thought of when someone mentioned that they are merely Sony-branded would be if Ford actually put higher quality audio components in their cars as "Sony equipment" than Sony puts out there in reality ... :hysterical: It might actually help Sony in that case.

Edited by SVT_MAN

I didn't know there was such negativity surrounding Sony's electronics! What exactly is wrong with them? I've heard a ton of bad stuff about Microsoft. (and I'm contemplating downgrading from Vista back to XP. I swear my computer is slower now!)

Your computer is slower. 2GBs of RAM are necessary to run Vista properly.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Your computer is slower. 2GBs of RAM are necessary to run Vista properly.

BS. :redcard: I've run Vista on a computer with 512 RAM for months without problems.

It all depends on the type of software you run. By the way, most people I encounter out there have no clue how to properly maintain a computer.

They don't understand that AOL Instant Messenger, Daemon Tools, the list goes on, all have Spyware embedded in them. I can't blame them - who would think that tools endorsed by large orgs would have spyware? The most irritating thing is that things like Google bar or Yahoo bar for IE come BUNDLED with a lot of other software that is useful, so you end up having to click around the BS just to get what you want. So, I can see why most people end up with dog-slow computers.

Most computers from the factory would never have a problem if they weren't connected to the Internet. The Internet has basically made it so every computer out there owned by Joe Schmoe ends up with spyware. Macintosh users can brag all they want that they don't get spyware or viruses, but as the popularity of Macs increases, so will the number of deviant programs. There was already the first virus released for MacOSX a few months back. It's just going to snow ball now.

That is why Microsoft is offering to regress it back to XP.

:redcard: What are you talking about? Microsoft is offering a regress? How exactly does that work? They let you return your software back to the store or what? I can understand OEMs like Dell or HP offering XP again ... but MS offering a regress - what do you mean by that?

Edited by SVT_MAN

BS. :redcard: I've run Vista on a computer with 512 RAM for months without problems.

It all depends on the type of software you run. By the way, most people I encounter out there have no clue how to properly maintain a computer.

They don't understand that AOL Instant Messenger, Daemon Tools, the list goes on, all have Spyware embedded in them. I can't blame them - who would think that tools endorsed by large orgs would have spyware? The most irritating thing is that things like Google bar or Yahoo bar for IE come BUNDLED with a lot of other software that is useful, so you end up having to click around the BS just to get what you want. So, I can see why most people end up with dog-slow computers.

Most computers from the factory would never have a problem if they weren't connected to the Internet. The Internet has basically made it so every computer out there owned by Joe Schmoe ends up with spyware. Macintosh users can brag all they want that they don't get spyware or viruses, but as the popularity of Macs increases, so will the number of deviant programs. There was already the first virus released for MacOSX a few months back. It's just going to snow ball now.

I am very good at keeping a computer clean. My computer with 1GB RAM got slower with the addition of Vista. Google toolbar isn't that bad...anything Yahoo is. I had a spyware remover and a PC cleaner. It kept XP running squeaky clean. Vista got slower every day. At idle it was using between 40 and 60% of the RAM. It truly sucks IMO.

:redcard: What are you talking about? Microsoft is offering a regress? How exactly does that work?

I won a new Dell computer. It's a 530 series I believe. I called Dell and told them that Vista is not compatible with my all-in-one HP printer and it kept crashing. Viola! I got a copy of XP Professional sent to me. I was told that I was not the first one to complain, and was not the first one to be sent a free copy of XP. Call it a silent recall if you want, but it's there.

I won a new Dell computer. It's a 530 series I believe. I called Dell and told them that Vista is not compatible with my all-in-one HP printer and it kept crashing. Viola! I got a copy of XP Professional sent to me. I was told that I was not the first one to complain, and was not the first one to be sent a free copy of XP. Call it a silent recall if you want, but it's there.

I'm not doubting that HP hasn't written drivers for your printer for Vista. So many companies did NOT update their drivers for Vista. It's pathetic. What I am wondering, though, is if this was something that Microsoft endorsed or Dell did. What I'm getting at here is - did Dell have a copy of XP Professional on hand, or did they have to work with their supplier and have them ship out a new copy to you? My guess is that Dell sent you a copy of XP that they had sitting around. Either way, MS wins. They already sold Dell the copy of Vista to be bundled with your computer, and you still have an MS product that was sold to Dell on your computer.

vista sucks sony sucks

Thanks for your massive insight. This only adds to your reptuation at BON. We'll add this to your resume, right along with your other topics that were closed before anybody could reply because they had nothing to do with anything relevant here.

Edited by SVT_MAN

What I'm getting at here is - did Dell have a copy of XP Professional on hand, or did they have to work with their supplier and have them ship out a new copy to you?

Obviously this is second hand knowledge, but the Dell operator that I talked to told me that they were to replace any customers operating system with XP that complained about compatibility, and Microsoft was footing the bill. Personally, I could have cared less. I won a really nice computer and would have gone out and purchased a new printer to make it work. Somebody that paid for theirs on the other hand, might not have been so understanding.

I can say one thing for certain. It took a long time for Vista to boot up to even the password screen. With XP, I can be online less than 30 seconds after hitting the power button. :burnout:

Obviously this is second hand knowledge, but the Dell operator that I talked to told me that they were to replace any customers operating system with XP that complained about compatibility, and Microsoft was footing the bill. Personally, I could have cared less. I won a really nice computer and would have gone out and purchased a new printer to make it work. Somebody that paid for theirs on the other hand, might not have been so understanding.

I can say one thing for certain. It took a long time for Vista to boot up to even the password screen. With XP, I can be online less than 30 seconds after hitting the power button. :burnout:

Man, I hear you in terms of Vista boot times from OEMs. OEMs load SOOO much garbage on their machines. If I purchase a laptop for a client, the first thing I always do is backup the drivers and format the hard drive so I can put a clean install of Windows on it. I'm not sure why OEMs insist on making their computers pig like. It's not wonder people think Macs are so much faster (and in some cases they are justifiably) - they aren't bloated with crap from the factory like PCs are from OEMs.

I can tell you though, my Vista boot time on a fresh copy versus fresh copy of XP is actually quicker for Vista. It's even quicker because I run an Active Directory account.

In terms of Microsoft fitting the bill, I don't doubt that. I actually am not surprised. Microsoft is trying to make customers happy in the end, and they'd rather they eat the cost of XP than having you switch to a Mac or Linux. It actually reminds me of a story of a guy who bought a tractor from Home Depot.

He loaded it on the trailer of his truck and headed for the highway. When he got on the highway, the tractor rolls off behind the trailer because he didn't tether it down properly. Then, a truck runs over tractor. What does he do? He picks up the pieces and halls it back to Home Depot in pieces. Home Depot replaces it. Did Home Depot fit the bill? Nah. John Deere did. It happens. What's ironic is Home Depot ends up looking good, but most people probably never consider that the money is coming out of John Deere's pocket.

Oh yeah, by the way .. that's a nice looking Sony radio on that F150 ... :banghead: .. sorry guys lol

Edited by SVT_MAN