Truck Trend reports 2009 f150 horsepower

chevys

Does everyone remember back in 2003 when the Nissan Introduced the Titan and all the pundits and prognosticators proclaimed the end of domestic pickup supremecy now that a serious & credible Japanese truck was on the market? There were supposed to be all variations of the Titan on the market within a couple of years and the domestics would be on the run from the Nissan onslaught?

Now we're in 2008 and the Titan is still nothing more than a blip compared to the domestics. I would even argue that the Titan is a more credible competitor overall than the new Tundra and it has yet to put a serious in the domestics stranglehold. I have doubts the Tundra will expand its market share beyond where it is now.

Sorry mlhm5. You were wrong about the Super Bowl and you'll be wrong about this one as well.

Edited by TomServo92

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does everyone remember back in 2003 when the Nissan Introduced the Titan and all the pundits and prognosticators proclaimed the end of domestic pickup supremecy now that a serious & credible Japanese truck was on the market? There were supposed to be all variations of the Titan on the market within a couple of years and the domestics would be on the run from the Nissan onslaught?

Now we're in 2008 and the Titan is still nothing more than a blip compared to the domestics. I would even argue that the Titan is a more credible competitor overall than the new Tundra and it has yet to put a serious in the domestics stranglehold. I have doubts the Tundra will expand its market share beyond where it is now.

Sorry mlhm5. You were wrong about the Super Bowl and you'll be wrong about this one as well.

difference between the Titan and the Tundra ..........one has better/ more mis leading advertisments....and the Pats collapsed under pressure like a Tundra tailgate party...

Edited by Deanh

i thought the Titan came out in 04 as an 05 model....unless you are talking about when the unveiled their 1/2 ton Titan

the Titan is a better truck than the Tundra....one of my supervisors has one, its pretty tough, they just screwed up on the hood and cab proportions and make it look like a van and a pickup truck had sex.....they are pretty quick too...

I have heard their NVH leaves a little to be desired.....

I see. I hope they come out with a new Lightning....Ford needs another "excitement" vehicle, although I can understand why they don't want to financially right now.

I just had an idea....what if they debuted the EcoBoost (should be TwinForce for this application) 6.8L? BOSS engine on a new Lightning before it was available in the other models. 625-hp sounds fine for a Lightning.....then hp could be increased with other technologies after the engine spreads through the lineup, or just leave it as is.

I think you mean 6.2L?

You need to read up on what Toyota did in Texas to Ford. That is the largest pickup truck market in the USA + Toyota is not sitting still in 2008.

Financial News

Methinks the reason Ford did not market the new F-150 with the new engine was because they could not figure how to get the torque and HP out of an engine to equal to Toyota. Methinks that once the engine is available it had better be a reliable show stopper because it is not going to get 14/18 mpg as the Toyota does.

IMO, the 2009 without the Boss engine is not equal to the Tundra and could significantly hurt Ford until it is available.

BTW, Toyota will have a diesel in 2009, 275 and 300H.P., along with 475 to 525 Lb.Ft. of torque, coupled with the 6-speed automatic and geared acordingly.

It wouldnt be unreasonable to expect anywhere from 22 to 25 MPG as a EPA rating making a nicely equipped SR5 d-cab 4WD short-bed in the $38k price range.

No 3/4 or 1 ton before has ever got close to those numbers before all the EPA reqs so I have no idea how they would do it now. 1/2 ton is not going to make all the much of a difference. Not that I would not love to see it. But there is no way Toyota is going to have a diesel that can put out that much and put it in that 1/2 ton of theirs. That would just cause broken frame after broken frame from East cost to West cost. Mountain passes and hills would be littered with broken down Toyota diesels. 1/2 the truck on the right lane and the other 1/2 of the truck on the left lane. There would be axle wrap, axle hop, and axle broken everywhere. Certain doom!

F150 sales are most importantly business/fleet sales. They could really care less about 5.4 v/s Boss. In fact. They will probably continue to buy the 5.4 at much greater numbers for years to come, as long as its offered, and as long as it is a cheaper engine to maintain.

Peace and Blessings

No 3/4 or 1 ton before has ever got close to those numbers before all the EPA reqs so I have no idea how they would do it now. 1/2 ton is not going to make all the much of a difference. Not that I would not love to see it. But there is no way Toyota is going to have a diesel that can put out that much and put it in that 1/2 ton of theirs. That would just cause broken frame after broken frame from East cost to West cost. Mountain passes and hills would be littered with broken down Toyota diesels. 1/2 the truck on the right lane and the other 1/2 of the truck on the left lane. There would be axle wrap, axle hop, and axle broken everywhere. Certain doom!

F150 sales are most importantly business/fleet sales. They could really care less about 5.4 v/s Boss. In fact. They will probably continue to buy the 5.4 at much greater numbers for years to come, as long as its offered, and as long as it is a cheaper engine to maintain.

Peace and Blessings

I think the 5.4L is supposed to be discontinued after the BOSS comes out. Not sure tho.

I think the 5.4L is supposed to be discontinued after the BOSS comes out. Not sure tho.

I have heard that to. But I just find it hard to believe.

There will be many that squawk at not being able to get the 5.4 and they will be the types that buy 5, 10, 20 F150s each year.

I would be they keep the 5.4 for at least 3 model years.

Peace and Blessings

I have heard that to. But I just find it hard to believe.

There will be many that squawk at not being able to get the 5.4 and they will be the types that buy 5, 10, 20 F150s each year.

I would be they keep the 5.4 for at least 3 model years.

Peace and Blessings

I think theyre suppose to make a new more fuel efficient v8 to replace it.