Truck Trend reports 2009 f150 horsepower

chevys

Also this nugget from the same article:

The SuperCrew has been the SuperCrew for years. It's not a new designation.

My guess is those power numbers were preliminary estimates for MT's publishing deadline, and they may have been okayed for release with the expectation that they be noted as such.

In any event, the article is not well edited to say the least.

There are all sorts of stupid mistakes like that.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motor Trend is written by a bunch of fucking four year olds. They're never, EVER right when it comes to predicting future automotive stuff. It's like once per month Angus MacKenzie calls a staff meeting and everyone sits around a big table and takes acid until the leprechauns riding rainbow-colored unicorns tell them what to write for the month. I'd bet my life they pulled these numbers straight out of their poorly-written asses, because as far as I know, Ford still hasn't released the power figures (I haven't seen a press release yet). And Lord knows I couldn't get any answers out of the Ford engineers at NAIAS.

From the '09 F-150 Preview as found in the March 2008 issue of Motor trend:

(Regarding the 5.4-liter V8) "Power is up 10 horses to 310 at 5500 rpm, and torque has been boosted to 365 pound-feet at 3750."

Hello, the 3-valve 5.4 made 365 lb-ft when it was first introduced. Last I checked, 365 still equals 365.

According to whom? I still like the Dodge better from an style point of view. I'm sure there are plenty of others that also like the Dodge, just as of course many like the Ford. There is no winning the battle of body style, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

According to me, the F-150 wins. dodge still likes WIDE center consoles SOMETHING i never will like.

Well I haven't seen Igor post anything yet, so I'm thinking this is BS..since if MT broke the embargo, he would post the correct info or make comments about it...

Igor has already posted the numbers on here and with searching can be found. I remember the numbers for new F150: 325hp and 385 pounds of torque behind Tundra and Hemi Ram.

Reading this Forum and then reading future products page on car magazine is like reading OLD news and inaccurate news to be sure. I hardly read an auto periodical after being on here for awhile. All the good news is posted on here and I hope I have helped a little too. That's what it's all about. Keeping ear and mind open and posting some informative news and comments.

Here is Ford's drive train target and it appears they did not know what to aim at.

DOHC 5.7L 32 valve V8 with 381HP at 5,600 RPM and 401lb-ft of torque at 3,600 RPM, coupled with a 6 speed tranny with a 10,800 pound towing capacity and a 14mpg city and 18mpg highway EPA rating.

If Ford fails to equal or surpass this drive train with the 2009 F-150, Ford will have missed a huge opportunity stabilize their market share.

Here is Ford's drive train target and it appears they did not know what to aim at.

DOHC 5.7L 32 valve V8 with 381HP at 5,600 RPM and 401lb-ft of torque at 3,600 RPM, coupled with a 6 speed tranny with a 10,800 pound towing capacity and a 14mpg city and 18mpg highway EPA rating.

If Ford fails to equal or surpass this drive train with the 2009 F-150, Ford will have missed a huge opportunity stabilize their market share.

Truth: Toyota rushed their engineers and suppliers on the development of the "I-force" 5.7L DOHC V8. You know what happened? They had 20 trucks that spit camshafts.

Ford could also rush development of their 6.2L Boss V8, but they aren't going to. You see, Ford is smarter than Toyota. They will wait until their engine is ready. Next year, we will see an engine that will match or exceed Toyota's power numbers.

In terms of towing, Ford ALREADY exceeds 10,800 pounds in towing, and you better be sure I would be MUCH more confident in towing with a Ford than a Toyota with its triple-flex frame, poor crash test ratings, poor cab-body integrity, and lousy tailgate.

Ford's only missed opportunity is failing to throw punches at Toyota in their advertising.

If Igors numbers are right, the F150 will only be down 26 lb/ft of torque (which is far more important than HP in a truck application). The six speed will be there from the start. When the Boss arrives later this year, that last bit of Tundra advantage goes away. What will Toyota have then (other than a frame more flaccid than a eunuch and tailgates made of tinfoil)?

Not launching with the boss = mistake

Its going to hurt them, no matter what.

What will hurt them more? Delaying the ENTIRE truck for 6-8 months, or delaying one or two engines? I think the answer to that one is obvious.

The engines will be ready when they are ready. The revised truck is ready now. Waiting for an engine (which many buyers will not even check on the option sheet anyway) would be stupid. I'm betting even AFTER the Boss engine is available, the bulk of sales will still be 5.4's just as they are now.

Edited by NickF1011

Everybody knows it would be nice for the big engine to be ready right now, but it isn't. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems like most Tundra drivers are buying the I-Force 5.7L V8s. The only Tundras I see out there are those.

Of course they buy the 5.7. That's because the 4.7 is downright awful for a full-size pickup. How many 4.6 F-150's do you see? Not a whole heck of a lot. At least once the Boss and diesel are available, the F-150 will offer an unmatched choice of powertrains in half ton pickups. Like I said though, I'm going to guess most of them will still be 5.4's.

What will hurt them more? Delaying the ENTIRE truck for 6-8 months, or delaying one or two engines? I think the answer to that one is obvious.

The engines will be ready when they are ready. The revised truck is ready now. Waiting for an engine (which many buyers will not even check on the option sheet anyway) would be stupid. I'm betting even AFTER the Boss engine is available, the bulk of sales will still be 5.4's just as they are now.

I dont disagree with your point, mine is that they should have been ready a year ago, not a year from now. This is the kind of garbage from Ford that I hope stops with the new leadership.

The bulk of sales will probably still be whatever the standard V8 is, thats not the point. The point is that changing perceptions should be a priority for Ford. You have to change perceptions across the board. Fuel Efficiency, Emissions, Power, Quality. All need to be addressed constantly.

It really shouldnt take Ford a decade to introduce new/improved power trains.

I think the biggest advantage is going to be the 6spd. God knows why that took so long to end up in the F150.

Edited by one2gamble

I dont disagree with your point, mine is that they should have been ready a year ago, not a year from now. This is the kind of garbage from Ford that I hope stops with the new leadership.

If it wasn't for the new leadership, you wouldn't be getting the Boss at all. It was Mark Fields that resurrected it.

Once Ford truck buyers find out that a better engine will be available, IMO, they just might push off their decision to buy until they see what the pundits say about the engine and how it compares to Toyota.

I am not sure what date the new engine is scheduled to arrive in the dealerships (Feb 09?), but going to market without it weakens Ford's hand.

If on its arrival the gas mileage is not significantly equal to the 14/18 of the Tundra which produces over 400ft/lbs of torque, and gas is $3+ a gallon, that could be a significant bump in the road.

Edited by mlhm5