Ergonomics Issue at Wayne Assy

Emigh

Here is the issue and if someone can contribute useful information or opinions please do so. I was told by the union at Wayne Assy. that I needed a ramp to do my job more effectively. So after a lot of consideration, the engineer, management, and the union agreed to have a temporary ramp built. However, the guys on nights do not use the ramp. I was told our Quality leader (sometimes known as Team Leader) would put the ramp up for me in the morning. I have now been told that the Plant Chairman and Management agrees that I should put this ramp up (it is in 4 pieces) and take it down at at night on my own time. My Quality Leader has refused to put the ramp up. So, my questions are as follows, do I have any recourse, what is the norm at other plants, and if I am doing this on my own time, and I get injured, is the company still responsible since I am not on the clock at either time. Please advise, and consider this a serious concern, and not a joke.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the issue and if someone can contribute useful information or opinions please do so. I was told by the union at Wayne Assy. that I needed a ramp to do my job more effectively. So after a lot of consideration, the engineer, management, and the union agreed to have a temporary ramp built. However, the guys on nights do not use the ramp. I was told our Quality leader (sometimes known as Team Leader) would put the ramp up for me in the morning. I have now been told that the Plant Chairman and Management agrees that I should put this ramp up (it is in 4 pieces) and take it down at at night on my own time. My Quality Leader has refused to put the ramp up. So, my questions are as follows, do I have any recourse, what is the norm at other plants, and if I am doing this on my own time, and I get injured, is the company still responsible since I am not on the clock at either time. Please advise, and consider this a serious concern, and not a joke.

If you want the ramp put the thing together. Why should your team leader or anyone else have to cater to your personal needs daily? At Van Dyke no way in hell would a platform be built in the first place let alone assembled and torn down every day for the needs of one person if it hindered everyone else. How exactly could you get hurt putting together a "ramp"? If you cant do the job safely dont do it.

Edited by VDTRANSMAN

If you want the ramp put the thing together. Why should your team leader or anyone else have to cater to your personal needs daily? At Van Dyke no way in hell would a platform be built in the first place let alone assembled and torn down every day for the needs of one person if it hindered everyone else. How exactly could you get hurt putting together a "ramp"? If you cant do the job safely dont do it.

For your information, when I was at Michigan Truck, my Team Leader did put my ramp up and take it down. I am glad that I do not work at your plant or with you, you sound like old factory before ergonomics became an issue.

For your information, when I was at Michigan Truck, my Team Leader did put my ramp up and take it down. I am glad that I do not work at your plant or with you, you sound like old factory before ergonomics became an issue.

Give him a break...He works at a parts plant, not assembly. Big diff.

You actually need to write an OIS and have management and Union sign it as well as yourself and have set up time being paid to you before and afetr the shift,12 minutes each.

If you do get hurt doing this now "on your own time"you will probally be disiplined and have no coverage as far as workmans comp.That is why you need to push for an OIS nad have it signed by the process engineer and union standards rep.Also include set up time in this process that way your covered.

Hope this helps.

You actually need to write an OIS and have management and Union sign it as well as yourself and have set up time being paid to you before and afetr the shift,12 minutes each.

If you do get hurt doing this now "on your own time"you will probally be disiplined and have no coverage as far as workmans comp.That is why you need to push for an OIS nad have it signed by the process engineer and union standards rep.Also include set up time in this process that way your covered.

Hope this helps.

Our Plant Chairman, Bill Johnson, has already said that I will not get paid to do this. So therefore, the way I see it, if I should get injured I am on my own. I will pursue this with my committeeman tomorrow, but he has already said that both Management and Union have decided that I have to do this on my own time before the line starts and after the line stops. This was very helpful, thanks so much.

If you have to assemble and then disassemble a platform, wouldn't that be Millwright work? How big is this platform, and what is it made out of?

It comes in 4 long pieces. With a decline with arrows and caution on both ends. It is a temporary ramp with a styrofoam center covered with black covering.The made both myself and my partner on the opposite of me new ramps that took months to make. It has plastic plugs with attach to keep the entire ramp from moving. I have been coming in and setting up in the morning because I am there early, but the forman just told me today that I also have to break it down before I leave on my own time. I was willing to compromise, but now it looks like I will have to do my job without the ramps at all. I work on the door line and install the inside door/window moldings. I am 5' tall, and it will be difficult but not impossible to do my job without the ramp.

It comes in 4 long pieces. With a decline with arrows and caution on both ends. It is a temporary ramp with a styrofoam center covered with black covering.The made both myself and my partner on the opposite of me new ramps that took months to make. It has plastic plugs with attach to keep the entire ramp from moving. I have been coming in and setting up in the morning because I am there early, but the forman just told me today that I also have to break it down before I leave on my own time. I was willing to compromise, but now it looks like I will have to do my job without the ramps at all. I work on the door line and install the inside door/window moldings. I am 5' tall, and it will be difficult but not impossible to do my job without the ramp.

Can't they find a job that is more suitable to your height or other physical issues? Or, is this a cake job that you don't want to give up?

I'm 6'2...if they put me on a short person's job, I just say I can't do it. I don't ask that the plant be altered to suit me.

Can't they find a job that is more suitable to your height or other physical issues? Or, is this a cake job that you don't want to give up?

I'm 6'2...if they put me on a short person's job, I just say I can't do it. I don't ask that the plant be altered to suit me.

The UAW and Ford like to quote "Fitting Jobs to People." What does your Ergo Rep. have to say? Have they done any analysis?

Edited by ElGato

Fitting jobs to people!They need to make a consorted effort to compromise in this situation or find you a better job suited to your height.I know if you do somehow get hurt it is going to be on you,so be careful.

I am familiar with that job you run you have to run the door flock all around the window inner right?That would suck reaching up there allday to run that in at the top there when your only 5'0"tall.

Edited by hendew_15

I did not ask for this job, nor did I take it after I saw the job in motion. When the job was set up last year for the new launch, a permanent ramp was included in the setup. Nights objected to it, so the UNION decided to give both my partner and myself (who is not 5') a temporary ramp. If the Union and the engineer thought the ramp was necessary, and agreed to have it built and brought in, then they should have it set up. My Quality Leader (?) who is a female has refused to set it up.

Here is my take...someone had to authorize the building of the ramps, so if its part of the job and your shift (day shift) uses it and your the lead shift than its the afternoon shifts problem if they don't use it.

Yes that is my arguement.

It seems like your biggest issue is not being paid to set up/take down the ramp that was designed/given to you to make your job better/easier specifically for you. If it makes your job that much easier for you to perform perhaps you should just suck it up and take the extra few minutes at the start and end of your shift to set it up/take it down. If that is too much trouble than perhaps you should bid onto another job if that is an option. While I agree that you probably should be paid for this extra time, I don't believe this is that big of an issue for you to take a few minutes to assemble/takedown an assistive device that was designed for you so that you can perform your job more easily. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you.

And we wonder why the public thinks bad things about us union employee's.

And we wonder why the public thinks bad things about us union employee's.

Write a safety greivance and they will remedy this very quick! No way should you have to set up or remove a ramp--EVER! If someone decided that a ramp was neccessary then it should always be on the job. If the others don't like it tough! Get safety in there, it won't be long before it is corrected. Write that greivance and let the process work.

Write a safety greivance and they will remedy this very quick! No way should you have to set up or remove a ramp--EVER! If someone decided that a ramp was neccessary then it should always be on the job. If the others don't like it tough! Get safety in there, it won't be long before it is corrected. Write that greivance and let the process work.

I (the safety grievance) will only work if the Committee wants to push it. :stats:

They can't make you stay after your shift without paying you. I would leave it up. This is a case were one shift wants to do the job one way the other, another way. This will come down to who can be the union and the companys biggest pain in the ass, that is who will end up getting their way.

I agree with most of the threads above and filling a greviance will only go so far.Whoever posted that your not being paid to take it down or put it up so therefore don't do it till your getting paid.Wait till the start of the shift to start setting it up and start tearing it down before the line stops,but whatever you do don't stop the line yourself.

These are all shitty ways to deal with this.What I suggest is that you go through each channel to try and get this problem solved if none works I suggest you go see Dale W. your plant manager,he was my former plant manager and will work with you on this issue and help you the best he can.He is a great guy and very personable.He cares about the workers and cares about the process,if quality or safety are being compromised he will get something done.He has an open door policy and will always hear you out.

You push it! You can fight it on your own if you need to. It is their job to fight for you and it is against the LAW to refuse to write a greivance.

If it is "against the law"? Then shouldn't a lot of present and past UAW members file a class action lawsuit against the UAW and whatever locals they belong(ed) to? Because they refuse or refused (at your request because you pay their union dues "wages") to write a grievance not only on health and safety but on any issue we deem to be necessary?

I know this may be going a little off topic; but nobody is bringing these questions up... I'd like to hear answers and opinions though.

If it is "against the law"? Then shouldn't a lot of present and past UAW members file a class action lawsuit against the UAW and whatever locals they belong(ed) to? Because they refuse or refused (at your request because you pay their union dues "wages") to write a grievance not only on health and safety but on any issue we deem to be necessary?

I know this may be going a little off topic; but nobody is bringing these questions up... I'd like to hear answers and opinions though.

You need to learn and know your rights. They only get away with stuff with people who don't learn the contract and labor laws. It is your life, learn your rights!!!