Discussion between Local 228 & 400

Captain723

What a vision.....in a time when membership is declining and Locals are getting stretched thin, some look to come up with a plan to grow. As membership dwindles and the traditional employees get replaced with entry level employees each local needs to start tightening up their belts. Think about this though....combining Locals to make them stronger...sure what Local would want to combine with another and lose their position....one might ask. A leader that is willing to truly look out for his/her members, thats who. That would not be a popular choice, but think about it....if your membership is dwindling then you can't pay the bills, spend money to help educate, organize or even promote the qualities of the UAW into the community. :idea: This would be a great idea if there were leaders that were willing to step up for the better of their members. If anyone has any insight on this I would like to hear it!! :idea:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a vision.....in a time when membership is declining and Locals are getting stretched thin, some look to come up with a plan to grow. As membership dwindles and the traditional employees get replaced with entry level employees each local needs to start tightening up their belts. Think about this though....combining Locals to make them stronger...sure what Local would want to combine with another and lose their position....one might ask. A leader that is willing to truly look out for his/her members, thats who. That would not be a popular choice, but think about it....if your membership is dwindling then you can't pay the bills, spend money to help educate, organize or even promote the qualities of the UAW into the community. :idea: This would be a great idea if there were leaders that were willing to step up for the better of their members. If anyone has any insight on this I would like to hear it!! :idea:

I thik it is a good deal.Power in numbers and a "Mega Local" will only be beneficial to all the members up there.

it will not happen, local 400 is so far into debt, and local 228 is balanced, why would 228 take someone elses debt?

Look, we are all one union. That is why it would be a perfect scinario!! Local 400 doesn't own anything, neither does 228...the UAW members do. So if they are in debt it is all one money in the end. What you should have said was yes we will take the members!! It will make you stronger. What if tomorrow you lost all your membership and were financially strapped. What benefit would it do for your local if you took that stance?

None....I think that we need to think out of the box....need to look at a bigger picture. The more members the more power as a Local we have!! Look at Local 600....do you think that they are powerful....HELL yes they are!! I heard that all the big wigs were there at Local 600 for their holiday dinner. Working in the rouge is the safest place to work for job security, because of the numbers!! They are never going away!! Now there is no way possible to ever get that big, but we can get bigger and combine Locals!!

Our Local just cut all kinds of spending.... they havent spent money, they cut salaries....it just keeps getting worse with the membership dropping...if you think about it...it makes good sense to combine.

Question. If the locals combine, and it requires a reduced number of heads to provide the same services, will there be enough appointments left in the International to absorb them? :headscratch:

Oh, silly me! Of course there will! :stirpot:

The international will be representing the same number of members....the problem lies with what to do locally to support both our locals!! I am sure it would look a little different, we obviously wouldn't have 2 presidents. I think that local 600 takes care of this with full time vice presidents!!

The international will be representing the same number of members....the problem lies with what to do locally to support both our locals!! I am sure it would look a little different, we obviously wouldn't have 2 presidents. I think that local 600 takes care of this with full time vice presidents!!

Edited by whereswaldo

Basically, what you just said brother is.... One UAW local is in debt, why would another UAW local help them? OUCH....like Captain and wakeup have already said to some extent, it all comes out of the same Union wallet. If a merger would make financial and fiscal sense, by reducing waste and combining strengths... then that $$ and strength gained would only benefit the collective members. Isn't that what a UNION is?

I don't have all the facts in front of me, but mergers of this type that I have seen in the past ... are always a positive, regardless of industry.

Strength, security and other positive factors are always gained in numbers, never lost.

....".

Edited by whereswaldo

OUCH....like Captain and wakeup have already said to some extent, it all comes out of the same Union wallet.

umm, local dues, not national dues, wanna see my local dues spent locally, not to bail out another local that mismanaged their money and can get some from another local. if it was a good idea, why wait for locals to fall this far behind to start combining? the best interest for 228 would be to combine with van dyke, not 400, if there is ever a combining of locals. please check more facts, thats all i can say. 1.2 mil, i really don't think so. show me a local doing that good in the area with proof. if they can't afford a building that big, sell it and lease a small office and donate to a church to use there meeting rooms for the monthly meetings.

umm, local dues, not national dues, wanna see my local dues spent locally, not to bail out another local that mismanaged their money and can get some from another local. if it was a good idea, why wait for locals to fall this far behind to start combining? the best interest for 228 would be to combine with van dyke, not 400, if there is ever a combining of locals. please check more facts, thats all i can say. 1.2 mil, i really don't think so. show me a local doing that good in the area with proof. if they can't afford a building that big, sell it and lease a small office and donate to a church to use there meeting rooms for the monthly meetings.

I heard Vandyke was asked and they absoulutly dont want to merge because they do not want to give up thier positions they just won. They have cheap office space for a hall tho and its paid for..they only work the Pres.

Everyone else is part time (one day).

I agree tho all three should merge...one super union...maybe we would be strong again?

Elec...yes 400 has 1.2 million...just asked another utica person, they said yes its true, they also said the IUAW owes them 450k...

so they would be bailing us out bro..

Edited by wakeup

Yes thats it create more officers positions. That makes alot of financial and fiscal sense, reduces waste. If a local is in that bad a shape, Region can take up a collection to right that ship, Cap. Why not combine the entire west side as one local ?? So there may be a little more driving . But hey we could create full time vp's, assistant Vp, 2nd Captains, sargents, 1st and 2nd lieutenants , oh how f@#$%redundant.

Hey waldfk....I wasn't saying adding reps...I was saying that the members still need fair representation and there would have to be a way to figure that out!! :finger: If you combined locals then there would be a huge savings even if you didn't reduce anyone!! Hey it is just a though...soon to be reality when each local keeps losing members, even if they are replacing them they will be doing it at half the price. Need to do something...if we wait until it is too late then we will be doing the same as Ford. In the good times we need to create a way to save money for the rainy days, not wait till its raining to figure it out!! :shades:

it sounds like a smart move to me!!!! power in #"s. local 723 used to be just the monroe plant, now i think we have 7 or 8 different units that is part of 723. we have a general membership meeting the sunday. they will have the financial report there. i think at the last meeting it was reported out that we had around 700,000 in the bank. monroe ACH only has around 1000 members paying dues, 200 of them are temps. i know that region always talked about monroe because of our leadership and our political actions that we do. and its not just the monroe brothers and sisters knocking on doors. the other members from the different units were there.

driving up mound thats a bad idea....do you see all the office space for lease on mound??

I am getting both financial reports from each local to prove what I am saying.

My interests are peaked at the possibilities...

Edited by wakeup

Either way don't expect a transfer agreement between the 2 plants. With one being 2nd tier and the other trad. Ford wage they won't be allowing any transferring into Sterling.

We all understand transfer agreements went out the window..because 2280 did'nt want it anymore......

we have zone protection now right...so we all have first rights to the jobs at Romeo and Vandyke anyway...so we really do have a transfer agreement just on a 3 plant (actually2)..as I understand it.

Tell me if I am wrong...thats just my understanding...but if thats true...we have everything to gain by this. Besides all of us at Sterling are not real fond of people transfering in anyway.... :hysterical: so it works for us.

We all understand transfer agreements went out the window..because 2280 did'nt want it anymore......

we have zone protection now right...so we all have first rights to the jobs at Romeo and Vandyke anyway...so we really do have a transfer agreement just on a 3 plant (actually2)..as I understand it.

Tell me if I am wrong...thats just my understanding...but if thats true...we have everything to gain by this. Besides all of us at Sterling are not real fond of people transfering in anyway.... :hysterical: so it works for us.

Edited by whereswaldo

YEah I see how fond of people in general you people are. If its a true transfer agreement, do you have a right to take a call back spot at ,say, Romeo ahead of someone who was laid off from there who has less seniority ?? And your zone does include more than just those 3. Forgot about your bro's at MPG and Highland Park ??

yes I did forget, are they part of 400?

Edited by wakeup