Ford Moves Upscale with the Flex (www.autosavant.net)

igor

Ford Moves Upscale with the Flex

By Igor Holas

For the past several decades, Ford’s method of selling cars has been the premise of offering the same features as their competition for a cheaper price. This worked fine, but it left Ford vulnerable to rapid segment shifts. With releasing models that were just good enough (albeit better values), Ford had no breathing room should the competition move the game on. A clear example of this pitfall can be seen with the Fusion. When released in 2005, the sedan was right near the top of its segment in power, economy, refinement, and any other relevant measure. However, in quick succession, the new Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Saturn Aura, Honda Accord, and Chevrolet Malibu moved the game way past Fusion’s capability. Only three years after introduction, Ford will have to perform almost a complete overhaul on the car to keep it competitive.

Recently, GM broke off from the same flawed marketing strategy, and with its excellent new full-size crossovers and mid-size sedans proved to the world that there is talent left in Detroit. These new models were priced much higher than earlier models, right on par with their Japanese competitors, but often offered a level of execution and features a notch above that same competition.

The first indication of Ford moving in the same direction was the Edge. The mid-sized crossover debuted with features clearly above its main rival, the Nissan Murano. Now, despite the Murano’s redesign, the Edge is still very much competitive, and will need only a standard mid-cycle refresh to once again achieve the edge over Murano.

However, the true and final shift in Ford’s value paradigm will arrive with the new Ford Flex. With the Flex, Ford is moving significantly upscale, from the automotive basement to the level of the aforementioned Japanese competition, and maybe even a notch above. Ford will no longer be the cheap alternative to Toyota and Honda, barely matching their features. With the Flex, Ford will position itself as the automaker that will offer more features for the same money as the competition.

MORE AT LINK: http://www.autosavant.net/2008/02/ford-mov...-with-flex.html

My objections filed earlier remain:

The comparison is flawed, as the Flex remains, on a feature per feature basis cheaper than the competition (as does the MKS and the Edge).

Comparing a $28k vehicle's list of 'includes' to those included in an $18k car is not appropriate, as people expect more standard equipment as the price climbs (and in fact, when it went on the market, Fusion had standard AC and power windows/door locks which neither the Camry nor Accord had).

Did Ford cheap out on the Fusion?

Yes, but not in engines or transmissions, or interior quality. Only on minor issues such as ABS, rear seat head restraints, and a few other quibbly bits. Other "shortcomings" assigned to the Fusion were generally not available in the parts bin at the time (non "brick" radio/HVAC units, smoother V6/I4, etc.)

Inclusion of legitimately overlooked items (RSC, head restraints) would not have justified a major uptick in base price.

Edited by RichardJensen

Did Ford cheap out on the Fusion?

Yes, but not in engines or transmissions, or interior quality. Only on minor issues such as ABS, rear seat head restraints, and a few other quibbly bits. Other "shortcomings" assigned to the Fusion were generally not available in the parts bin at the time (non "brick" radio/HVAC units, smoother V6/I4, etc.)

Inclusion of legitimately overlooked items (RSC, head restraints) would not have justified a major uptick in base price.

Is RSC even that expensive? And isn't it going to be required in all cars going forward?

Is RSC even that expensive? And isn't it going to be required in all cars going forward?

I believe 2012 is the year it must be standard on ALL passenger vehicles sold in the US. Ford (and most others) will likely have it across the board by 2010.

Pretty silly bit of legislation. I've managed to (knock on wood) avoid getting in any wrecks over the past 8 years without stability control in anything I've driven during that span.

More legislation for the criminally STUPID. See my Mustang recall post.

I believe 2012 is the year it must be standard on ALL passenger vehicles sold in the US. Ford (and most others) will likely have it across the board by 2010.

Pretty silly bit of legislation. I've managed to (knock on wood) avoid getting in any wrecks over the past 8 years without stability control in anything I've driven during that span.

More legislation for the criminally STUPID. See my Mustang recall post.

I have a similar record with my cars and probably don't need it, but I think it would be another feature providing piece of mind if something goes wrong. Sort of like snow tires or something, I guess.

I have a similar record with my cars and probably don't need it, but I think it would be another feature providing piece of mind if something goes wrong. Sort of like snow tires or something, I guess.

Nice peace of mind if something goes wrong with your driving, but a pain in the neck if something goes wrong with the RSC. Just one more thing to break if you ask me.

Nice peace of mind if something goes wrong with your driving, but a pain in the neck if something goes wrong with the RSC. Just one more thing to break if you ask me.

I have only driven once with it (and I didn't notice) a difference, and I do not know much about how it could go wrong, so I will defer to you on that.

Edited by johnnyb82

On ice it is quite useful of RWD cars from my experience. To me it seemed to make things worse on FWD.

How the hell does roll stability control help a RWD more than a FWD? And how does it help RWD on ice?

Do you know what RSC is?

Per Ford:

The RSC® system uses two gyroscopic sensors to detect when a driver corners too fast or swerves sharply to avoid an obstacle. The system then applies pressure to the brake(s) on the wheel(s) on the outside of the turn. This induces understeer and helps bring the inside wheels firmly to the ground, reducing the likelihood of a rollover event.
Edited by P71_CrownVic

How the hell does roll stability control help a RWD more than a FWD? And how does it help RWD on ice?

Do you know what RSC is?

Per Ford:

I think it pertains more to the vehicles that utilize RWD...ie Expeditions, Explorers and of course the Clubwagon.....

Must be a "no reading" day.

Again:

The RSC® system uses two gyroscopic sensors to detect when a driver corners too fast or swerves sharply to avoid an obstacle. The system then applies pressure to the brake(s) on the wheel(s) on the outside of the turn. This induces understeer and helps bring the inside wheels firmly to the ground, reducing the likelihood of a rollover event.

So, tell me how the gyroscopic sensors are going to help me when I am on ice?